Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Hints during an audition  (Read 2840 times)

Offline jy_

• PS Silver Member
Hints during an audition
on: November 15, 2013, 07:51:49 PM
Hi, I recently went for an audition at the Royal conservatoire in Scotland, and I am scheduled to be interviewed by their MMus course leader.

I am curious whether this means that the audition panel is satisfied with my performance? I'm feeling totally confused right now because I totally screwed up my technical piece, although my other pieces felt ok.

It's a really good conservatoire and I'm extremely keen on entering it.

I would like to say that I'm not scholarship material, although the panel seemed keen on taking me in.

Some of the 'hints' which I feel that they've dropped include the interview (why interview you if they're not interested?).

The head of keyboard was also telling me lots of good stuff about the school (the course is interesting, they occasionally record your performances so that you can look back at them etc). Would an audition panel tell that to every student (even to those that they do not intend to accept)?

I would like to add that all these were mentioned before the panel discussed if they wanted me in or not

I'm sorry if it sounds like i'm asking the obvious (or I'm sounding irrational) here, because I'm really excited on being offered the interview! Do tell me what you think!    :)

Offline jy_

• PS Silver Member
Re: Hints during an audition
Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 05:58:35 PM
Hi, checked my cukas application for the umpteenth time and received a guaranteed conditional offer for RCM, RNCM, and RCS for their masters course.

Still waiting for Birmingham, although they are probably deciding how much money to give to their prospective students...

Having a huge dilema between RCM and RNCM... both have good teachers, and the RNCM is pretty convenient, the hostel is on-campus, and its near the city and the train stations (for travel).

What are the pros for studying in RCM/London?

My view is that London's a dauntingly big city, almost impossible to get anywhere by walking, and pretty crowded, too. also, any reasons for going to the RCM apart from the prestige and the "nicer" building?

I am mainly interested to know if the RCM offers anything which the RNCM is unable to, and vice versa?

Just to add that cost isn't a factor, so London or Manchester works either way in that aspect..

I don't really want to go to a school which will push me too hard (some nudging is fine..), am looking for one which has a supportive environment and encourages me to study at my own pace while helping me to realize my potential.

Still waiting for my US applications though, but that will be end Dec so no biggie... Fingers crossed!

Offline jy_

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 06:08:46 PM
Just a note for interested candidates, I wasn't selected to enter the second round of auditions in RCM. They didn't ask me anything (simply told me to hear from them before christmas).

Moral of the story: failing to enter the second round isn't always bad news!

Offline richard black

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 02:31:40 PM
If you go to RNCM or RCS you will get rained on a lot more than if you go to RCM.
Instrumentalists are all wannabe singers. Discuss.

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 04:39:14 AM
The piano faculty at Royal Conservatoire of Scotland are incredibly brilliant!

They will push you as hard or as soft as you wish to be pushed.

There is a positive environment and camaraderie that exists there which you will not find at the other British Conservatoires, particularly the ones in London.

Aaron Shorr is one of the most amazing pianists in the world! His sight-reading, improvisation, and collaborative abilities are all legendary. Jonathan, Graeme, and Fali are also incredible musicians. They are all fantastic teachers! You couldn't ask for better.

I got to play Rach 3 for Stephen Hough while I was there!

Offline jy_

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 03:38:16 PM
Thanks for your input awesom  :)   

I checked the courses and I felt that rcm was the right place for me, as there is one section of their MMus course which particularly interests me.

I'm thinking of studying under either Ian Jones or Andrew Ball... any suggestions? I will probably request for a consultation lesson with both early next year.

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 05:55:35 PM
I wouldn't personally recommend Ian Jones, although I only ever had one lesson with him. I don't know Andrew Ball. A good friend of mine really liked Ian Jones, though. I think RCM has a much more competitive atmosphere than RCS, however.

If you don't think you are liable to be at the top of your year, skill-wise, this will affect the opportunities you'll be given.

Offline jy_

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 06:40:16 PM
Hi guys, have been putting some thought onto this, and I've decided on (1) Andrew Ball (2) Ian Jones and (3) Niel Immelman .

I guess I would be settling for Andrew as my first choice (having a consultation lesson with him later this month), but I am in a dilemma about the 2nd and 3rd options (should I put Niel as my 2nd option)?

Offline richard black

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 11:13:39 PM
I've only met Andrew Ball socially but he struck me as a naturally friendly and helpful kind of individual. He's certainly a very fine player with a large and varied repertoire.

I can also recommend Gordon Fergus-Thompson, among RCM teachers - my old guv'nor and I always found him both painstaking and charming.

Ian Jones and Niel Immelman are only names to me, I'm afraid.
Instrumentalists are all wannabe singers. Discuss.

Offline jy_

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 06:34:26 PM
Hi Richard, thanks for your suggestions, I will have a go at Gordon Fergus-Thompson...

Anyone here available to comment on Ruth Nye, Kathron Sturrock, and Ashley Wass?

It can be quite inconvenient to discuss all these publicly... PMs are most appreciated! Guys, I'm in desperate need of help here............     :-\
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert