Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Your Favorite Pianist Of All Time  (Read 1393 times)

Offline johannesbrahms

• PS Silver Member
Your Favorite Pianist Of All Time
on: November 18, 2013, 09:23:47 PM
The title of this thread pretty much sums it all up.  Who is your favorite pianist of all time?  I mean the one pianist that, should you be sent to a desert island with the complete recordings of only one pianist, you would choose.  Also, please explain why they are your favorite.  Just to keep you all happy, you may mention the pianist who takes second place in your opinion.

My favorite is Josef Lhevinne.  His technique was as perfect as a human's can get.  The thing that I really like about him, though, is that he was literally never showy; in fact, he was known for being an extremely modest and unambitious person.  His style of playing was aristocratic in the fullest sense of the word.  He played with emotion, but was never sentimental.  He never changed the music score, but his playing was never mechanical.  Despite the fact that everything he ever recorded(not counting piano rolls) could fit onto one CD, I would choose him over every other pianist who ever recorded.  I hope(it is a nigh impossible hope, I know) that one day, I will be able to play like him.

The man who takes second place for me is Sergei Rachmaninoff.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Re: Your Favorite Pianist Of All Time
Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 09:44:23 PM
The title of this thread pretty much sums it all up.  

That is true.
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 10:24:39 PM
Can I swap the pianist for a piano?
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline perprocrastinate

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 12:00:00 AM
Who is your favorite pianist of all time?

Vladimir Horowitz. He had absolutely enticing tone color.

theholygideons

Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 01:21:39 AM
alexei sultanov.
If only he had lived for longer, i would definitely pay to go see him.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert