Piano Forum

Topic: Chopin's Nocturne C# min Opus post advice?  (Read 1749 times)

Offline dorfmouse

• PS Silver Member
Chopin's Nocturne C# min Opus post advice?
on: November 12, 2004, 09:10:41 PM
I'm wondering about how to tackle the last section, bars 57 -60. These are long RH runs of 18,35,11 and 13 each against 4 quavers in the LH. The notes themselves aren't difficult but I'd like your suggestions on how freely or not to play them ... do you try to play the RH rhythmically accurately against the LH... lots or a little rubato?
The only recording I have to listen to is a violin arrangement played by Nigel Kennedy in which these notes soar wistfully into the ether. I want to be ethereal too!!!
"I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."
W.B. Yeats

Offline jon

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin's Nocturne C# min Opus post advice?
Reply #1 on: November 14, 2004, 12:05:05 AM
I wouldn't be too worried about making sure that each note matches up exactly rhythmically with both hands.Of course don't make it sound uneaven but try and play them freely, play the 16th notes at normal speed separately and then play the 8th notes separately at normal speed.With the 18 notes in the right hand you will need to play the 4 quavers at a normal speed but when you come to the 35 notes in the right hand you will obviously need to slow down the left hand somewhat.If you play it freely the notes will most likley match up on their own if you keep the basic rhythm.

Offline Sydney

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 14, 2004, 11:35:17 AM
My teacher told me to always hit the highest note in RH at the same time of Dis of LH. I don't think more than that, however, it sounds it is working well.

Offline dorfmouse

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 14, 2004, 05:47:44 PM
I appreciate your advice. Thank you both.
"I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."
W.B. Yeats
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert