Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Liszt CD recommendation  (Read 2735 times)

Offline pytheamateur

• PS Silver Member
Liszt CD recommendation
on: November 23, 2013, 10:01:38 PM
I'm looking to get a single/double CD of Liszt's piano music for a friend's birthday.  She's not a piano player but likes Hungarian Rhapsody No 2. Any recommendation for an album that contains this piece as well as Liebestraum No 3 and La Campanella?
Beethoven - Sonata in C sharp minor, Op 27 No 12
Chopin - Fantasie Impromptu, Nocturn in C sharp minor, Op post
Brahms - Op 118, Nos 2 & 3

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Re: Liszt CD recommendation
Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 12:25:50 AM
Lazar Berman I've heard of for Liszt.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazar_Berman

Or any big name really.

I don't know of a specific CD, but....  Dang.  Quick round of searching doesn't turn up anything.  Amazon's stuff sucks for whatever I searched for -- six results.  Oh well.  I'm giving up.  How about two CDs?  That could get all those pieces I would imagine.  Ah... I'm giving up.  I found one on Amazon with two and HR 12.  Haha.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 12:55:25 AM
This recording by Volodos doesn't have any of the pieces you mentioned, however, it is the best recording of these works available.  It's really that good.  I might have even started a thread on just how good it is.

The selection of pieces gives the impression of a huge expansive world and the listener is the wanderer who journeys through it.  It's a great program.

https://www.amazon.com/Volodos-Plays-Liszt-Arcadi/dp/B000RY027A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1385253469&sr=8-3&keywords=volodos+plays+liszt

Offline gvans

Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 02:53:00 AM
This recording by Cecil Lytle offers a fine rendition of the Sonata in B minor, IMO the best piano solo piece he composed. Check it out:

https://www.amazon.com/LISZT-Franz-Liszt/dp/B000BGQSPO/ref=sr_1_14?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1385261305&sr=1-14&keywords=cecil+lytle

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 05:16:41 AM
Those pieces seem like they should all be on one CD.... If there isn't one, just get two.  Let the gift receiver hear more Liszt -- If they like three pieces, they're bound to like more.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline pytheamateur

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 02:04:25 PM
I bought The Very Best of Lang Lang.  While it does not have La Campanella, there are loads of other nice pieces by other composers.
Beethoven - Sonata in C sharp minor, Op 27 No 12
Chopin - Fantasie Impromptu, Nocturn in C sharp minor, Op post
Brahms - Op 118, Nos 2 & 3
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert