Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Best Mobile Keyboard with 88 keys for classical music ??  (Read 2604 times)

Offline freddythefred

• PS Silver Member
Hello, I'm an advanced classical piano student and I also play blues and jazz with bands. So I want a mobile keyboard that lets me both practice my classical music with a good touch feeling and also lets me take it anywhere I want.

So I slimply need a mobile keyboard with 88 keys that imitates the feeling of a real piano.

Do you have any ideas of good keyboards ? Which manufacturer is the best ? Yamaha, kurzweil, casio .... ?? Any specific models ??

Thank you  ;D

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Re: Best Mobile Keyboard with 88 keys for classical music ??
Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 10:11:46 PM

Do you have any ideas of good keyboards ? Which manufacturer is the best ? Yamaha, kurzweil, casio .... ?? Any specific models ??

Thank you  ;D

Really, add Kawai and Roland to the list you have and go try them all out. Keep in mind what you need for connections for live stage use ( Line out TRS, XLR etc. etc.). Only you can determine what action and board features are for you. Can't stress trying them out enough, do not go by internet suggestions alone !

Edit: Incidentally I do play some classical on my Kawai MP6 stage piano, though I would love to have tried out an MP10 with it's wooden key cores ( one wasn't available to me at the time). The best stage piano I tried, even closer to my grand piano in action than my Kawai is, was the Roland RD700NX. This in terms of the feel of the keys.
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.

Offline freddythefred

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 10:36:53 PM
Thank you very much for your excellent advices.  :D
Of course the best way to be sure is to try it personally. My problem is that I'm in a country where a very few instrument models are sold and at a price you REALLY cannot imagine  :o :o :o
So I'm telling my sister to bring one with her from France.

I just hope to find a MP6 or MP10 here in Lebanon. It's very close to what I was searching for. A stage piano with some piano feelings added to voices like rhodes and organs which is perfect for my band work.

However I hoped to find something that really focuses on the piano sound and concept more than putting diverse options and extra voices like strings or woodwind which are often unused.

But thank you, you gave me good directives  :)

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 12:05:58 AM
Thank you very much for your excellent advices.  :D
Of course the best way to be sure is to try it personally. My problem is that I'm in a country where a very few instrument models are sold and at a price you REALLY cannot imagine  :o :o :o
So I'm telling my sister to bring one with her from France.

I just hope to find a MP6 or MP10 here in Lebanon. It's very close to what I was searching for. A stage piano with some piano feelings added to voices like rhodes and organs which is perfect for my band work.

However I hoped to find something that really focuses on the piano sound and concept more than putting diverse options and extra voices like strings or woodwind which are often unused.

But thank you, you gave me good directives  :)

They will sound about as good as the sound system you connect them into. Or virtual program too for that matter. I have to tell you though that it takes a bit a tweaking in EQ and Tone control.

The MP 6 action is slightly heavier than my grand but quite piano like. There is better out there but at what cost becomes the issue. The Roland I mentioned was more than twice the cost of the MP6 I got on sale and with a coupon code. I couldn't pass that up and have never seen it at that price since either. It's one of those times in life that you feel it was just meant to happen.
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert