Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: My Shigeru Kawai SK5 New Purchase  (Read 7812 times)

Offline beethovensonata

My Shigeru Kawai SK5 New Purchase
on: December 16, 2013, 12:13:05 AM
Well after going to the dealer once already, i called him and told them i was going to come again, we set up a time.  The previous time i had played a yamaha c2 and kawai rx2  and had leaned rx2.  Now opun returning he had a brand new yamaha c3 and to brand new Kawai gx2s, let me tell you the gx is not a better piano in what I could notice.  After playing them it was a no brainer i was going with the c3, then i went and looked at the shigerus, then i played the sk5 and was sold. 
The sk5 was a 2011 model but had never sold and was practically unplayed too, same story for the c3.  Prices where 46K for the piano including tax and 34k for the c3.

Both of these where great deals, but since i have the dough i got the Shigeru, let me tell you it is by far the best piano i have ever played!!

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Re: My Shigeru Kawai SK5 New Purchase
Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 01:52:55 AM
How's the tone?  Touch?  Response?  Do you like the look of the legs?  Are they the rounded sexy ones?  More details, please!

Offline beethovensonata

Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 02:32:40 AM
I played the c3 and the gx2, i found the c3 to be pretty similar to be a right in the middle to a tad, a tad mind you to the stiffer side, the gx2 was very soft.  The shigeru was the PERFECT cross between the two, perfect touch with softness for playing ppp, and as you pushed the key farther down it got every so slightly stiffer, hardly even noticable, infact i may have just imagined it, perfect for FFF. 
The sound of the c3 i found to be almost bright, but still very very good, the sound on the kawai sounded like it was under water it was soo warm, it was really nice for higher melodies.  But i still preferred the c3 as if i wanted it to get a little warmer then you can push the left pedal.  The shigeru once again, was the perfect thing right in the middle, literally perfect.  Just enough brightness for loudness, and perfect warmth for softer playing.  They had a sk3 there (5'10") and the sound was the exact same, but in the sk5 the sound was bigger, deeper, and more powerful, literally when it was playing you where breathless.  So thats why i went sk5.
The Shigeru has the round legs, and the pedal support legs are fluted also, it is brand new, not even touched.  My salesman said it was by far the best piano they have in their stores.  Also they had a sk7 there (7'6")  Which didn't change the sound like the difference between the sk3 and sk5, it just got louder, so the sk5 truly seems to be the perfect piano for me!  If you are even considering a shigeru BUY IT!!!  I am taking delivery of it in a week, i can't wait!!

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 09:01:44 PM
Excellent and congratulations ! They are one spectacular piano IMO.
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert