Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Piano teacher Beijing NEEDED!!!  (Read 4477 times)

Offline pianomother

Piano teacher Beijing NEEDED!!!
on: December 17, 2013, 06:45:09 PM
Dear all,
My family moved to Beijing a couple of month ago and now I am desperately trying to find a GOOD piano teacher for my boys (age 5 and 7).
We had a great - really GREAT teacher in Bangkok where we lived for 3 years.
But now here in the place where I thought good piano teachers would be easy enough to fond - Im struggling.
Will be very grateful for any recommendations. Please!!!
Thanks,
Maria

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Re: Piano teacher Beijing NEEDED!!!
Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 07:01:53 PM
Make sure whoever you find that they weren't trained at the BJ conservatory.  Their technique is horrid.

Offline pianomother

Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 07:15:55 PM
Yes, I have noticed...
I met with 4 teachers, tried a lesson with one of them, and it is quite disappointing...
At least two were from Beijing Conservatory...(((

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 09:38:28 PM
Is it possible for you to provide instruction to your children?  You must know some things that you can teach.

Offline pianomother

Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 03:00:57 AM
Thats exactly what I have been doing for the last 4 month, but even if I cant help them with practicing, teaching itself has to be done by a professional... I play, but I cant explain how to play that well...((( And to simply follow ABRSM without anything more exciting... Well...Would be a pity..

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 03:11:23 AM
Are the issues you're having with instruction musical or are they technical?

Offline pianomother

Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 07:02:33 PM
Well, its just the skills of a really skilled teacher that I lack - I cant really decide on repertoire, choice of the exactly right pieces for the kid, his level, what he can "handle", what each piece can give him exactly...
Its a very important time in their studies, when each single piece is extremely valuable and I am too inexperienced in teaching to take this responsibility...
Also things like mistakes that our previous teacher saw immediately even before they would become a real issue, I cant see it, I notice too late...

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 08:09:17 PM
A lot of learning comes just from picking it up from friends and acquaintances, even parents.  If you enjoy playing, they'll pick up on it, so share it with your children.  As long as you aren't teaching technique (because a lot of bad technical crutches happen this way) they'll be fine.  Focus less on instruction and more on the music since that's the reason why be play in the first place, isn't it?

What are your goals for them?  Do you want them to be competition winners?  Or just enjoy making music?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert