Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: You know what I hate  (Read 1981 times)

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
You know what I hate
on: December 20, 2013, 11:57:37 AM
People who call classical music study/sleep music.

I was talking to do this chick, and she was like "oh yeah you play play piano well I like classical music too."

I'm like "cool, so who do you listen to?"

"I listen to chopin when I study, and to mozart when I'm trying to fall asleep."

-_____________________________________________________________-

*starts playing verdi's requiem on my iPAD*

"You know, this is Verdi, and I listen to him
WHEN I'M ABOUT
TO
KILL SOMEBODY

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!"

Offline kakeithewolf

• PS Silver Member
Re: You know what I hate
Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 02:15:53 PM
Usually, I'd have a problem with my music being called sleepy/study music (or at the very worst, "Disney music").

However when I write lullabies and berceuses, I find that that is the time I want most for my music to be called sleep music.
Per novitatem, artium est renascatur.

Finished with making music for quite a long time.

Offline bronnestam

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 03:38:00 PM
I really don't know why you "hate" this. (How old are you, btw?)

I also play classical music, preferably Beethoven sonatas or other piano music, when I work hard at my computer. Also often when I want to relax. The music is perfect.

So? This does not mean that I never listen in a more active, concentrated way. For heaven's sake, I'm a pianist!
My mother used to listen to the "Elvira Madigan concerto" (Mozart) when she was pregnant with me and wanted to relax. She told me that once, when I just had told her how much I loved that concert ... have loved it all my life ...  :) ... My parents dragged me to classical concerts when I was very young. First I found it boring, later on I liked it very much, so I have enjoyed classical music for 47 years, or even longer if you count the months before I was born ...

Offline chicoscalco

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 04:33:26 PM
I really don't know why you "hate" this. (How old are you, btw?)

I also play classical music, preferably Beethoven sonatas or other piano music, when I work hard at my computer. Also often when I want to relax. The music is perfect.

So? This does not mean that I never listen in a more active, concentrated way. For heaven's sake, I'm a pianist!
My mother used to listen to the "Elvira Madigan concerto" (Mozart) when she was pregnant with me and wanted to relax. She told me that once, when I just had told her how much I loved that concert ... have loved it all my life ...  :) ... My parents dragged me to classical concerts when I was very young. First I found it boring, later on I liked it very much, so I have enjoyed classical music for 47 years, or even longer if you count the months before I was born ...

How can you listen to Beethoven sonatas when you want to relax?  :o
When I listen to them I stop whatever I'm doing and just concentrate. It's stronger than me  ;D
Chopin First Scherzo
Guarnieri Ponteios
Ravel Sonatine
Rachmaninoff Prelude op. 32 no. 10
Schumann Kinderszenen
Debussy Brouillards
Bach, Bach, Bach...

Offline kakeithewolf

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 05:53:14 PM
*starts playing verdi's requiem on my iPAD*

"You know, this is Verdi, and I listen to him
WHEN I'M ABOUT
TO
KILL SOMEBODY

To be fair, the Dies Iræ in Verdi's Requiem is quite intense. It makes sense someone would associate something conveying the world being torn apart and the perishing of the wicked with anger.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 06:58:27 PM
This usually crosses my mind.  They relax to this stuff?

Mahler 6

Schoenberg: Verklärte Nacht

Actually I could see it.  If the tones are pleasant.  Dissonant maybe.  And if it's a recording you could always lower it.

Sounds like "top 40" classical music is what they're talking about though.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline rlpslp

Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 05:48:56 PM
You know what I hate? When people call girls/females "chicks".

Offline dima_76557

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 06:16:13 PM

In general: +1, but your phrasing also needs correction: In modern English, you can't use the word "female" as a noun to refer to women.
P.S.: If you tell me that you also hate nerds, I promise you I will not be offended. ;)
No amount of how-to information is going to work if you have the wrong mindset, the wrong guiding philosophies. Avoid losers like the plague, and gather with and learn from winners only.

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 07:24:27 PM

What's wrong with calling it a chick?

It's just slang, no need to take it personally.

Offline kakeithewolf

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 08:24:45 PM
What's wrong with calling it a chick?

It's just slang, no need to take it personally.

Calling a female an "it" is worse.

Offline senanserat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 09:43:32 PM
Quote from: dima_76557link=topic=53662.msg579662#msg579662 date=1387649773
In general: +1, but your phrasing also needs correction: In modern English, you can't use the word "female" as a noun to refer to women.
P.S.: If you tell me that you also hate nerds, I promise you I will not be offended. ;)

He/She just did, yet you don't see the moon crashing down, a better suited concept would be, it isn't proper to refer to the ladies as females.
"The thousand years of raindrops summoned by my song are my tears, the thunder that strikes the earth is my anger!"

Offline dima_76557

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 04:09:58 AM
a better suited concept would be, it isn't proper to refer to the ladies as females.

I also got "punished" with a symbolically lower score in a mock TOEFL test for using the word "ladies" to refer to women in general. The remark was that it sounds "demeaning" to the ears of modern English speaking women when the word is used out of a proper context. Why do they teach that kind of rules to foreigners if it doesn't matter in real life?
No amount of how-to information is going to work if you have the wrong mindset, the wrong guiding philosophies. Avoid losers like the plague, and gather with and learn from winners only.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 07:58:22 AM
Quote from: dima_76557link=topic=53662.msg579706#msg579706 date=1387685398
I also got "punished" with a symbolically lower score in a mock TOEFL test for using the word "ladies" to refer to women in general. The remark was that it sounds "demeaning" to the ears of modern English speaking women when the word is used out of a proper context. Why do they teach that kind of rules to foreigners if it doesn't matter in real life?
The majority of people living in English speaking countries use a very unproper version of the language, but it's common to teach us foreigners real English :)

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 09:48:03 AM
Calling a female an "it" is worse.

woooooooosh

there goes the joke flying over your head

Offline kakeithewolf

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 06:55:54 PM
woooooooosh

there goes the joke flying over your head

I'm not exactly one for jokes. I don't care for most jokes, as they are either uncreative or course these days.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: December 22, 2013, 07:23:22 PM
Oi! Leave me out of this...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: December 22, 2013, 08:12:10 PM
I'm not exactly one for jokes. I don't care for most jokes, as they are either uncreative or course these days.

Lmao, just don't try to take everything so seriously :P Chillllaxxxxing is the best way to enjoy life.

Offline senanserat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: December 22, 2013, 08:20:17 PM
Lmao, just don't try to take everything so seriously :P Chillllaxxxxing is the best way to enjoy life.

I thought playing piano while doing it was the best way for enjoying life D; Have I been mislead?
"The thousand years of raindrops summoned by my song are my tears, the thunder that strikes the earth is my anger!"

Offline kakeithewolf

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: December 23, 2013, 03:17:01 PM
I thought playing piano while doing it was the best way for enjoying life D; Have I been mislead?

Yes.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: December 23, 2013, 04:27:31 PM
I hate noisy kids in restaurants. They should be taken outside and machine gunned and their parents sent to a concentration camp.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline kakeithewolf

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: December 23, 2013, 04:37:38 PM
I hate noisy kids in restaurants. They should be taken outside and machine gunned and their parents sent to a concentration camp.

Thal

No, all they need is a good lashing with a switch. There wouldn't be noisy kids in restaurants if parents still used discipline.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: December 23, 2013, 04:41:51 PM
Well said.
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline rlpslp

Reply #22 on: December 24, 2013, 03:02:43 AM

Thal
If you are trying to be funny, you're not. In fact, you have no idea how incredibly offensive your statement is. I don't even know you,  but if you are being serious, I would not hesitate to hunt you down and cut your throat, you no good piece of sh*t.

Offline kakeithewolf

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: December 24, 2013, 02:38:37 PM
Well said.

Thank God in Heaven someone agrees with me. Children used to have a sense of etiquette, obedience, and respect for their elders. They had those qualities because right and wrong were very clearly outlined, and children would see that everything had consequence. As the old saying goes: spare the rod, spoil the child.

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert