Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: piano HELP  (Read 1530 times)

Offline mdog2121

piano HELP
on: December 20, 2013, 10:12:18 PM
I'm a new pianist and am trying to get my first piano can someone tell me what this chickering piano is worth.       https://tallahassee.craigslist.org/msg/4220970371.html               

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Re: piano HELP
Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 10:48:23 PM
Looks like a typical old upright.  I recognize Chikering as a brand.  That's better than pianos with no name.  Keys are intact.

Get someone who plays piano to try it and get their opinion. 

Best case -- It's an ok starter instrument.  Not great, not crap.

Worst case -- It will give you a bad experience.  Won't hold tuning -- Will sound bad or you'll pay the tuner a lot.  Sound and feel will turn you off.  Keys might be stiff.

If I was actually looking for something I'm not sure how much I'd pay for it.  $100?  I'm curious what they would ask for it.  If they asked for a $1,000, I'd think they were nuts and I'd go buy a Yamaha upright for that (I think).
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 11:04:09 PM
Chickering is a good name in piano and it says $100 in the add. From the photos it doesn't look beat up which may or may not mean a whole lot but it's better than a beat up one from the get go. You need to know about it mechanically, open the lid and show us some photos from inside, do hammers hit the strings and return to position etc. Are the keys sticking when you depress them ?
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.

Offline irishrover

Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 05:09:25 PM
For the money that piano is probably better than nothing.

I'm a beginner piano student myself and after learning how to play "virtual piano" with my computers keyboard I just had to get the real deal. I spotted one for sale nearby for €120 with the thought that a piano is a piano and its better then no piano. I have found that to be only true if you have no money. If you have money , or your family has money, or someone with money likes you a lot, then without hesitation go spend a few thousand on something that feels beautiful to play.

You would really want someone who plays the piano to go with you as with no experience you will not know what to look for (such as key weight, action responsiveness, tone - all incredibly important once you begin to advance any bit at all and can really make or break wether or not you will be kept interested long enough to learn how to play)

Best of luck with your quest!

Offline andrewuk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 06:10:29 PM
Don't forget that you'll have to pay to have it moved to your house, which will probably cost at least another $100, depending on distance, whether they have to carry it up and down stairs, etc; and then have it tuned, probably another $100, maybe more, especially if it needs any repairs, so even if they're giving it away you still need to be reasonably confident that it's of adequate quality.

At the very least you should get a reasonably competent pianist to try it out, to find out any obvious problems like notes not sounding, dodgy action etc. Being a little out of tune is OK for a piano that hasn't been used much lately, but if the tuning is seriously out then that could be a sign of deeper problems.

Ideally you should get a tuner/technician to look at it as well, but unless you happen to be on friendly terms with one that would add to the cost.

Good luck!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert