Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: What do you think "truth" is?  (Read 1639 times)

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
What do you think "truth" is?
on: January 21, 2014, 09:06:03 PM
I realize you may say it's absolute or subjective, but to simply say "truth is subjective/absolute" does not actually define the word.  So, what I want to know, what is your actual experience which causes you to then call something by the name of "truth"?  What has to be present in order for you to know you are experiencing something you would call the truth?
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Re: What do you think "truth" is?
Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 09:18:44 PM
Truth does not need any witness on its behalf or outside support.  But for a definition, how's this:  That which has being in relation to being.
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 09:36:48 PM
My head hurts.

Offline kakeithewolf

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 10:41:19 PM
Truth is, broadly, the universal definition of the boolean value of one or more states, which can either be a binary 1 or a binary 0. This defines the presence or absence of the aforementioned state(s).

This state is mutable in accordance to its immunity (or lack thereof) of any one of four general levels of influence: human, preternatural, supernatural, and omnidimensional (Though nothing supercedes an omnidimensional force). With immunity, no action of a given level or set of affected levels can influence it. And, on the contrary, the lack of immunity leaves the states vulnerable to change by appropriate action by the levels concerned.
Per novitatem, artium est renascatur.

Finished with making music for quite a long time.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 10:57:47 PM
Truth is beauty, beauty truth - that is all ye know on earth and all ye need to know.

Either that or it's what you can convince the next schmuck to believe to your advantage.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 11:17:07 PM
For most of the earlier decades of my life I preserved two distinct meanings, which I termed objective truth and subjective truth. The former amounted to mathematics and the latter to the deepest possible properties of the personal consciousness, as manifested in mystical experience and its representation through art. I have not seen fit to change these meanings over the years, but have come to admit a greater degree of their overlap and an increasing concern with dynamic processes rather than static states. Put simply, I am less able to distinguish between external verities and internal qualia, less confident in ascribing more importance to the end than to the means, to data than to instruction.

Indeed, when young and asked what I wanted from life, I always answered three things: objective truth, subjective truth and love. I haven't changed these either, even if I am now even less sure what they mean.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 01:32:07 AM

That which you cannot handle.   8)

Strange timing for goldentone to reappear like that.   ::)  What are the chances of that happening?
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 01:38:34 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth

If you browse the article, it appears truth is a naked woman.

I see truth was saved from falsehood and envy in the one pic... by a man! :o ;D ::)

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 02:03:34 AM
So, nobody has any particular experience when you arrive at a sense of truth vs. a mere entertainment of other passing ideas that are not necessarily of any particular importance?  I appreciate these ideas, but how do you actually experience truth in a way that is not just an intellectual idea?
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 02:07:25 AM
Opposite of false?

I'm leaning toward truth relying on some kind of belief on the viewer's part.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 03:12:03 AM
So, nobody has any particular experience when you arrive at a sense of truth vs. a mere entertainment of other passing ideas that are not necessarily of any particular importance?  I appreciate these ideas, but how do you actually experience truth in a way that is not just an intellectual idea?

Outside simple logics and mathematics truth is relative. So why would I even care whether something is true or not? Truth simply is not very important to me as a concept. It can be modified to suit our needs (and everybody does it even though they may like to think they don't).

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 04:12:49 AM
Can't leave out truthiness.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truthiness

It's true because it feels like it should be true.

And the more confident you are about it, the more true it is.  Probably applies to voodoo pedagogy.

Offline sucom

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 09:27:48 AM
For me, truth is not related to the intellect.  Truth is the awareness of the 'I am' which powers and drives the physical form (and all things).  I don't believe it is possible to become aware of truth through the use of the intellect or the human mind.  Instead truth is a feeling; a knowing; a quiet awareness; it is the still small voice which can only be found when the intellect and mind take a break from constant chatter.  

I believe that playing the piano, (or any instrument) is a perfect method for finding 'truth' because it is one activity which connects the player with the universe and everything that is without the need for words.  Playing an instrument allows the player to become one with the laws of nature, the musical phrases matching the breeze blowing through the trees, with small gusts picking up the leaves or the way gravity affects objects, the rising and falling of emotions, etc.  

In short, truth is an expression which takes form.

Offline fleetfingers

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 05:19:01 PM
Truth is reality. If something is, it is true. For example, I watered my garden yesterday. That is true. I actually did. Whether or not you believe me, it remains true. For those of you who didn't see me water my garden, you'll have to trust me. If there is someone you do not trust, then you cannot trust that they speak truth. You can trust someone who has proven themselves to be an honest person.

If you are wanting to know the truth of ideas, consider from whom the ideas are coming. Again, if you trust their judgment, you can trust that they may be right . . . but maybe they are not. Even someone you trust will say things that are not true. It is not because they are being deceitful; they believe that what they say is true. So, each person has to find out for themselves what is true and what is not. For some things, it's easy. The water is cold - that's what you've been told. Well, you can find out for yourself by putting your foot in the water. If it's cold, it's cold - truth. You can go deeper and define what cold is with a temperature, and still you can say whether or not it's true, according to the definition that has been set for what constitutes "cold" water. Other things will be harder to find out. For example, someone tells you what it takes to lose 50 pounds. Following their advice, it may take 6 months or longer before you know for sure if what they said is true. :) And still, some truths may take a lifetime before you can say that you know they are true.

I also agree about a feeling/voice that speaks to us when we hear truth. If you are sincerely and actively seeking out truth, then that feeling will help you to discern it. It's different than feeling resolute about something you wish to be true. Also, sometimes we know something is wrong, and that feeling leads us to feel uneasy and then to seek truth in the matter.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 10:50:09 PM
Well, you can find out for yourself by putting your foot in the water.

Schrödinger's Cat would disagree, and not because cats don't like water.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 12:12:22 AM
Schrödinger's Cat would be both true and false at the same time, wouldn't it?

And wet and dry? 

And it would depend on whether the cat was observed or not.  If you don't look at it, it might behave like a dog.  If you watch it, then it's cat.

Offline fleetfingers

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 05:27:57 AM
Schrödinger's Cat would disagree, and not because cats don't like water.

But if the foot's in the water, isn't that as if the box has been opened?  :)

I can see how it would be helpful in scientific studies to say that observation should precede measurement . . . honestly, I'm not familiar with how it is used in practice . . . but my immediate reaction to the idea is that there is indeed a reality, whether or not it has been observed. Before something is known/observed, I believe there is a truth there that remains to be discovered.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: January 23, 2014, 05:50:30 AM
Before something is known/observed, I believe there is a truth there that remains to be discovered.

Then you are disagreeing with the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics. And, in different ways, all the remainder of available interpretations.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert