Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Help!  (Read 1299 times)

Offline jernst

Help!
on: January 27, 2014, 03:49:39 PM
I am looking to purchase a used piano. My budget is between 10-15K. I have looked at many and researched a lot! I am overwhelmed and probably have too much knowledge. My head is spinning.  I have been looking particularly at a US market Yamaha G3 circa 1981. Listed at 12,995. However, yesterday, I found a Steinway (New York) 1900 Model o. It is listed at 18K. Both are negotiable a little. I like the sound and charming look of the Steinway better, but worried about its age. It is in good condition (not excellent as the Yamaha).
I need advice.....Help!
Julie

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Re: Help!
Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 04:18:29 PM
Why are you looking at such old pianos when you have a good budget to buy a new instrument?

The prices on both of the pianos you have mentioned are too high.

No 114-year-old piano that hasn't had substantial restoration work done is worth that kind of money. Pianos do not get better with age.

The 1981 G3 is not worth that much. I'm guessing it's being sold by a dealer and not by a private individual?  If you really like the piano, offer the salesperson 8-9k for it. Tell him you are considering many other options as well.

You really owe it to yourself to try all of the new grand pianos in your budget range.
The Ritmuller 170 (5'7) blows a 30+ year old Yamaha out of the water! And you could buy it brand new and have plenty of money left over.

If you don't mind my asking, what area are you located in?

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 04:19:28 PM
Hi and welcome to Pianostreet.

Have a piano tech check out both instruments.  They can let you know the condition of the insides, any work that needs to be done, and if any serious issues are present.  If you are considering having some voicing and regulation done, that tech can also tell you how close to you ideal he/she can get it. The tech will also be able to give you an estimate on the piano's monetary value, and what a good price to pay would be.  

The evaluation by the piano tech will leave you more informed as to which instrument you may want to choose.  
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 12:42:08 AM
I just replied to your other thread... take a look.
Ian

Offline lhorwinkle

Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 01:11:09 AM
Regarding the Yamaha ... I agree with what was said above. I'd expect to pay $8000 or so.

As for the 114-year-old Steinway ... unless it's been FULLY restored in the past 10 years or so, I'd stay away. Full restoration will might cost $20,000 or $30,000. If it needs that, then it's not worth much right now. But if it's in TOP shape, it might be worthwhile. (But I'd still negotiate a lower price!) :)

Offline leandro1990

• PS Silver Member
Ritmuller
Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 06:09:48 PM
I am also looking for new grand now. I can only fit 160-170cm grand at home. Recently I tried Ritmuller 159, it was great. However, I wonder if it last long? It's a little bit suspicious because it's cheaper than any other grand i tried.

Active repertoire:
Grieg Concerto
Schubert Sonata in Bb D.960
Prokofiev Etude op 2 no 1 & 4
Learning:
Bach Partita no 5 in G
Liszt Ballade no 2
Haydn Sonata Hob 16 : 50 in C
Prokofiev etude

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 06:21:10 PM
Of course it will last long! Just take good care of it.

The 159 and the 170  from Ritmuller are both very good pianos for their size.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert