Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: Why are the greatest composers always men??  (Read 10627 times)

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Re: Why are the greatest composers always men??
Reply #100 on: January 31, 2014, 02:23:02 PM
although perhaps not the most apposite analogy, given that even you presumably accept that some women are as good at tennis as the best of male tennis players

No, I do not accept this and it would be moronic to do so.

The best female player could not live with any male in probably the top 600 if not more.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #101 on: January 31, 2014, 03:23:45 PM
It is until you cut all the crap and come up with a female composer of the same level as the male greats.
That's as maybe, but implicit in the question posed in the thread topic is the matter of whether women are incapable of such greatness (which is largely a matter of personal opinion anyway) or whether, as you suggest, we're still merely waiting for evidence of a great female composer; in the latter case, social demands, traditions and circumstances and the concomitant discouragement of women composers were clearly a negative factor for generations but this has gradually changed over recent decades and continues to do so.

In the absence of scientific evidence one way or the other, do you simply assume that women can't be as good as men at composition merely because you've seen no obvious evidence to the contrary or do you suspect that such scientific evidence will ultimately come to demonstrate that women are congenitally less capable than men in this field?

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline forte88

• PS Silver Member
Reply #102 on: January 31, 2014, 03:27:38 PM
I remember a transgender saying the biggest difference between being a woman and (now) a man is being more focussed. They say women are better at multitasking(or more scatterbrained to put it less  euphemistically), but I think to become a genius requires focus and dedication and perhaps a very competitive side as well. Perhaps there are women who can become a genius at something but they'll more than likely have male quantities of testosteron flowing thru their veins

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #103 on: January 31, 2014, 03:56:02 PM
I remember a transgender saying the biggest difference between being a woman and (now) a man is being more focussed. They say women are better at multitasking(or more scatterbrained to put it less  euphemistically), but I think to become a genius requires focus and dedication and perhaps a very competitive side as well. Perhaps there are women who can become a genius at something but they'll more than likely have male quantities of testosteron flowing thru their veins
That's all very well, but it would not justify an assertion that women are less adept then men as composers whereas no one appears to be suggesting that they are so as performers.

Competitiveness per se is an obstruction for composers and performers; the only person with whom to compete is oneself.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #104 on: January 31, 2014, 04:12:23 PM
What is the greatness of individual evolution, if greatness is achieved only in isolation and only by comparison to/in context of an entire species whose highest achievements are that of quickening itself to self-destruction with eyes wide open?
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #105 on: January 31, 2014, 04:18:27 PM
do you suspect that such scientific evidence will ultimately come to demonstrate that women are congenitally less capable than men in this field?

Yes I do suspect this will eventually happen.

Some differences between the sexes are bloody obvious. Women cannot run as fast as men, throw javelins as far or drive a golf ball the same distance, nor will they ever. The difference in performance between female and male cyclists is huge and so It is with long distance running. Their archers are not as accurate, their dart players cannot live with the men and their cricketers would not compete with a Sunday second squad full of drunken 60 year olds. For some reason, they cannot ski as fast as men, slide on their arses down the Cresta run as fast as men, or even ride horses as fast as men.

Since composing does not require strength, stamina, accuracy, balance or poise, there must be reasons why female composers cannot be favourably compared with men.

Bollox

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline forte88

• PS Silver Member
Reply #106 on: January 31, 2014, 05:59:33 PM
That's all very well, but it would not justify an assertion that why women are less adept then men as composers whereas no one appears to be suggesting that they are so as performers.

Competitiveness per se is an obstrution for compose and performers; the only person with whom to compete is oneself.

Best,

Alistair
Women pianists are actually at an advantage,  they have much better fingerdexterity than men, so if they applied themselves in the same way as men do they'd be much better. The fact that they're not only proves the point I was making
Anyway
Composing and performing are completely different skills that seems obvious to me
Competition drives men to strive harder. Think Lennon/McCartney

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #107 on: January 31, 2014, 06:40:02 PM
their cricketers would not compete with a Sunday second squad full of drunken 60 year olds
But they did rather better than the men in Australia of late! - unless, of course, you think that Australian women are congenitally even more useless at cricket than British ones...

Since composing does not require strength, stamina, accuracy, balance or poise
It requires accuracy (albeit mental) and, when there are deadlines, stamina as well on occsion (albeit not that of the athlete or other physical sportsperson).

there must be reasons why female composers cannot be favourably compared with men.
If female instrumentalists are not affected in the same way as female composers, there must be a reason for that, too - but where would that leave women who did/do both, such as Gramatté, Bacewicz et al?

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #108 on: January 31, 2014, 08:27:10 PM
But they did rather better than the men in Australia of late!

Yes, but they were competing against other women. Just because the English womens team did better than the mens team does not mean that they would win if the two competed against each other. The women would be humiliated every time.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #109 on: January 31, 2014, 08:30:41 PM
If female instrumentalists are not affected in the same way as female composers, there must be a reason for that, too - but where would that leave women who did/do both, such as Gramatté, Bacewicz et al?

Gramatte and Bacewicz might well be considered as great instrumentalists, but as composers they could not be considered great. Gramatte was generally lacking in ideas and Bacewicz composed a violin concerto that sounded like a cat playing with a bacon slicer.

Thal

Curator/Director

Offline g_s_223

• PS Silver Member
Reply #110 on: January 31, 2014, 10:25:28 PM
Quote from: thalbergmad link=topic=54103.msg584641#msg584641 ...Bacewicz composed a violin concerto that sounded like a cat playing with a bacon slicer.

Thal
[/quote
ROFL - albeit unfair, but a wonderful image...

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #111 on: February 01, 2014, 03:01:25 AM
Another element.  There's variation in nature.  There's always going to be some mutation, wires crosses, yadda yadda yadda.... A female with a male brain.  Or a female with the parts of a male brain the male uses for composing.  But that would be the exception.  So the "in general..." trend would be what to look for.

If there is a 'feminine style' for composing, I've thought I've seen it in performance.  Good tone, good technique, but kind of meh for having bite to the performance.  Not bad to listen to, but not really going to for the effect of piece.   I remember thinking that in the audience a few times.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #112 on: February 01, 2014, 03:15:13 AM
Another idea -- More on the society side.

Music evolves.  Things would happen regardless of write the piece.  If chromaticism grows, someone eventually writes a 12 tone piece. 

Society puts men in the position to write that piece.  So one of them writes the piece.

Add that to major developments in the music throughout history.  I'm not thinking of anything major happening since maybe the mid 20th century for serialism, etc.  and 12  tone events from around 1910.  When I think of the last fifty years, I wonder if women composers are on the same level as anyone else.  It's all the same to me.  And not many huge developments going on right now.

Offline g_s_223

• PS Silver Member
Reply #113 on: February 02, 2014, 01:35:35 PM
Just putting a word in for Debbie Wiseman, who writes great film scores, e.g. for Wilde:

Offline justanamateur

• PS Silver Member
Reply #114 on: February 02, 2014, 02:51:37 PM
I could listen to Beach or C Schumann all day, but can't stand more than five minutes of J Strauss Jr.  ;D
Chopin Op 18, Op 53, 62/2, 37/2, 10/12
Fauré Nocturne 5
Bach English Suite 3
Brahms 79/2

Offline coda_colossale

• PS Silver Member
Reply #115 on: February 02, 2014, 03:49:14 PM
Evolution.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #116 on: February 02, 2014, 03:58:18 PM
Gramatte and Bacewicz might well be considered as great instrumentalists, but as composers they could not be considered great.
If your view is for the moment to be taken as gospel, how do you account for this conflict? Do you think that there is some physiological, mental, neuroscientific explanation for certain women being able to scale certain heights as performers that they supposedly cannot as composers?

Gramatte was generally lacking in ideas and Bacewicz composed a violin concerto that sounded like a cat playing with a bacon slicer.
When I had cats, I never let any of them near a bacon slicer (which was not difficult as I never possessed a bacon slicer) but, graphic and superficially amusing though your imagery here is, you omit to mention which of her seven violin concertos that you describe thus and why you perceive it as fitting such a bizarre description when presumably you would not accord similar descriptions to her other six...

Go listen to Bacewicz's Third Symphony!

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #117 on: February 02, 2014, 04:01:47 PM
Just putting a word in for Debbie Wiseman, who writes great film scores, e.g. for Wilde:
I do not care especially for what I've heard of Wiseman's music and I've encountered no concert works of hers, but she does have an undoubted talent for writing scores for films and television (and, for the avoidance of doubt, that is not meant to be any kind of patronising remark, since that sort of writing is a particular skill that is by no means open to every composer, regardless of gender).

Best,

Aistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #118 on: February 02, 2014, 04:53:54 PM
you omit to mention which of her seven violin concertos that you describe thus and why you perceive it as fitting such a bizarre description when presumably you would not accord similar descriptions to her other six...

It was the 7th and after that, I had no desire to infest my ears with any more of her rubbish.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #119 on: February 02, 2014, 04:55:25 PM
Go listen to Bacewicz's Third Symphony!

Sorry, but I have already exceeded my plinky listening total of 1 hour per week.

Besides, I have some Bax symphonies instead.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #120 on: February 02, 2014, 05:00:37 PM
If your view is for the moment to be taken as gospel, how do you account for this conflict?

I leave the boring million pages of analysis to those who are best qualified.

I have banjos to restring which is far more important.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #121 on: February 02, 2014, 05:48:18 PM
It was the 7th and after that, I had no desire to infest my ears with any more of her rubbish.
Thanks - but shame upon you! She didn't write rubbish!...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #122 on: February 02, 2014, 05:54:25 PM
Sorry, but I have already exceeded my plinky listening total of 1 hour per week.

Besides, I have some Bax symphonies instead.
I still don't know what "plinky listening" is, but if you have Bax symphonies to listen to, then you're in for some real treats - 3 & 6 especially!

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #123 on: February 02, 2014, 06:48:34 PM
I still don't know what "plibnky listening" is,

It is the amount of time I allocate each week for listening to plinkers.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #124 on: February 02, 2014, 07:17:19 PM

Sounds nice.  I'd listen to it again.  I was going to say it sounds like movie music.  It doesn't have a big oomph to it, but that could be the musical need in the movie.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #125 on: February 02, 2014, 07:39:10 PM
It is the amount of time I allocate each week for listening to plinkers.
And as long as plinkers remain undefined, my remark stands!

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #126 on: February 02, 2014, 09:20:27 PM
Curator/Director

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #127 on: February 02, 2014, 10:45:38 PM
It could be a secret code.  One method for injecting secret messages is to add extra letters in or leave certain letters out. 

The key letter there would be D.  Unless it's a distraction and it's signaling the words before or after, possibly with a number somewhere to indicate position....  Possibly even related to the thread reply number.... Quite devious....

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Reply #128 on: February 09, 2014, 10:12:39 AM
If one where to exclude the socio-cultural aspects during earlier times where women were "designated" to perform and limit themselves to certain spheres, like becoming bearers of children and good mothers, there is actually scientific evidence why men are better at certain fields and women at others.

"Men’s and women’s brains are fundamentally different, study finds, one better at focusing, one better at multitasking". The brains of men and women are hardwired differently which likely explains why.

Scientists found women are better at multi-tasking but men are better at concentrating on a single task after they scanned the brains of 949 people (men's brains, top, and women's brains, bottom). Undated handout photo issued by National Academy of Sciences of brain networks showing significantly increased within hemispheres in males (upper) and between hemispheres in females (lower)

COMPOSING music is generally considered a focused task while on the other hand below is definitely mutitasking!!! ;D ;D ;D

member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #129 on: February 09, 2014, 12:28:35 PM

"Men’s and women’s brains are fundamentally different, study finds, one better at focusing, one better at multitasking". The brains of men and women are hardwired differently which likely explains why.

But you must understand that this is only a statistical finding, which will severily limit it's usefulness. Not to mention the limitations on the sample and the study methods, that have a high impact on the result as well. And since the brains studied have also already been transformed by environment, the differences may not really be "fundamental" in the sense one would usually think.

Many great composers were also great pianists and high level pianism clearly demands the ability to multitask. To be really talented in music probably requires both this and focuse, so maybe they were actually androgynes.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #130 on: February 09, 2014, 10:29:23 PM
On the Vino again??
No. On the typo again (and now duly corrected).

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #131 on: February 09, 2014, 11:10:45 PM
On the typo again

As Dracula was heard to say.  ;D
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline deidre

Reply #132 on: February 09, 2014, 11:31:30 PM
Men have held women back for centuries. In the US, they had to struggle for the mere right to vote. It's not a wonder that men held them back in other areas of society, as well.

Anticipating a 'study' posted as a reply to my comment...whereby it determines that men are 'naturally' more gifted than women, in intelligence and musical prowess, and therefore that is why there are more male 'great' composers.  ::)
Without a piano I don't know how to stand, don't know what to do with my hands. ~ Norah Jones

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #133 on: February 10, 2014, 01:53:54 AM
Aren't we due for some female genius composers then?  Is there anything holding anyone back now?

Offline deidre

Reply #134 on: February 10, 2014, 02:03:58 AM
Aren't we due for some female genius composers then?  Is there anything holding anyone back now?
lol Are you being flip? ;D

Hmm. There are a number of talented and dare I say gifted female musicians from all genres, in today's culture. You may not find certain genres to your liking but their musical prowess most certainly speaks for itself.

Without a piano I don't know how to stand, don't know what to do with my hands. ~ Norah Jones

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #135 on: February 10, 2014, 02:11:44 AM

Umm, when's the last time you listened to anything by someone still alive and under 50 in the "classical" genre?
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #136 on: February 10, 2014, 02:19:27 AM
Most Euro white too.

The Euro guys got their first and took all the good developments in music.  It's just leftovers now (until something more happens with computers and music).

"Thanks a lot Wagner.  And what does this Liszt guy think he's doing?"

"But I wanted to write 12-tone music first.  Come on!"

If we put the blame on the old dead white Euro guys.... Everyone's pretty much off the hook now.  We already know Wagner was an ahole.  We can put more blame on him. 

*Bob waits for Nazi, Hitler, and alien comments.*

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #137 on: February 10, 2014, 02:25:01 AM
We could blame cave people.  Cave men were stronger than cave women and physically prevented them from composing.  Physical strength was more important up to the industrial revolution (Clara Schumann?).  Womens' Rights, invention of the cell phone, post it notes, etc.  Physical strength became less important.  So it's natural the topic comes up today.  But there's still room to grow.  Did you notice there's still no women's composing in this years Olympics?  Yep.  It's not there.  Go look.  No one's even talking about it, are they?

Hard to argue with logic like that.   8)

Offline deidre

Reply #138 on: February 10, 2014, 02:30:55 AM
I guess sexism is in the mind of the beholder. ;)

Offline bapdoo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #139 on: February 28, 2014, 10:49:53 PM
Well, back then, women were looked down apon, and even if they did write music, men would take the credit. I know that sounds horrible >:(, but if you look it up, some of Mendelssohn's works were actually written by his sister Fanny because a women would be ridiculed for composing music. People didn't realize it was her music until a while later. (Correct me if I'm wrong about anything in this post.)

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #140 on: March 01, 2014, 02:31:36 AM
some of Mendelssohn's works were actually written by his sister Fanny

Only the crap ones.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #141 on: March 03, 2014, 12:00:19 AM
Only the crap ones.

Thal

That's still a vast amount.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #142 on: March 03, 2014, 03:07:16 PM
In a bid to return to answering directly the question posed by the thread topic, I suggest that the reason why this would be the case (if it were the case) is perhaps that, like most people, composers don't like to keep changing their gender.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline jknott

• PS Silver Member
Reply #143 on: March 03, 2014, 09:28:09 PM
I've just chanced on this topic, not having read it before.

I'm speechless at the blatant sexism displayed by some posters on this forum.  Something I naively thought was a feature of the past, but like the cold war it's still with us.

Why should a woman even bother to read the utter garbage you spout, much less post ourselves.  We should just leave you to your puerile fantasies of male supremacy.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #144 on: March 03, 2014, 09:39:48 PM
I've just chanced on this topic, not having read it before.

I'm speechless at the blatant sexism displayed by some posters on this forum.  Something I naively thought was a feature of the past, but like the cold war it's still with us.

Why should a woman even bother to read the utter garbage you spout, much less post ourselves.  We should just leave you to your puerile fantasies of male supremacy.
Whose? Not mine, that's for sure!

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #145 on: March 03, 2014, 10:04:55 PM
I have completely changed my mind after listening to some "works" by Thea Musgrave on Radio 3 today.

It was that good, not even a sponge could compose better. Male or female.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline g_s_223

• PS Silver Member
Reply #146 on: March 04, 2014, 01:02:55 AM
I think the BBC does women composers no favours by its PC agenda. Anyone with half a pair of ears knows who can do it and who can't.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #147 on: March 04, 2014, 02:17:01 AM
Anyone with half a pair of ears knows who can do it and who can't.

I'd have thought the oft times vigorous debates on this forum about the merits of particular composers would rather tell against you on that point. And that is evident tenfold when it comes to more contemporary composers.

theholygideons

Reply #148 on: March 04, 2014, 03:23:59 AM
Women's Rights?!  what's that?  :-X never heard of it.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #149 on: March 04, 2014, 07:14:29 AM
I have completely changed my mind after listening to some "works" by Thea Musgrave on Radio 3 today.

It was that good, not even a sponge could compose better. Male or female.
Are you sure that what you have against her is that she's Scottish? She it was, incidentally, who said of being described as a "woman composer" that she is a woman and a composer but never both at the same time...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert