Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin comes back to life, what does he have to do to.....  (Read 1579 times)

Offline ranniks

• PS Silver Member
Make you believe that he is in fact Chopin?

A person of 19 hits his head and suddenly remembers who he was in a past life; Frederic Chopin! He gains the ability to speak both Polish and French out of nowhere. He goes somewhere where he can play the piano and bedazzles everyone around him. He plays new compositions on the spot, yet all that is seen is but a person who does not look like Chopin, but claims to have been Chopin/is Chopin.

What would he have to do to make you believe he is Chopin and not a liar?

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin comes back to life, what does he have to do to.....
Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 10:34:02 PM
I don't think he'd be able to convince anyone.

The amusing part would be no matter what he did, people would say he's copying Chopin and it's not original.  Therefore, it's crap.  Haha.  But you know, there are jobs for good pianist as accompanists and things.  The college teaching jobs are harder to get since there's more competition.  Nineteen's a little late too.  A lot of people just do music on the side and have a more business-oriented full-time job.  There are nights and weekends for music things still.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 12:00:35 AM
What would he have to do to make you believe he is Chopin and not a liar?

Look very nervous when he coughs.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 02:09:56 AM
It would be the same... What would anyone have to do to prove that they're the reincarnation of someone else?

There's a BBC (I think) documentary about a kid from Scotland (I think) born around the present.  He described things from the 1960s and thought he was the child of a family from back then.  Kind of a creepy documentary.  They took all his info down.  Then they went to the locations.  Some of the stuff checked out.  And then other things didn't. 

That would also get into what reincarnation is exactly.  For this BBC doc kid, it was like he had partial memories from someone else, or memories that were half true/half false or from an alternate version of our reality.

I'm not finding it on youtube.  Looking for reincarnation, past life evidence.... oi, the nutsoes out there.  If you want to find some documentaries or news stories for "proof" it's easy to find it there.  I'd lean toward these news/docs being something to get ratings.  Like ghost stories. The "oo,  that's creepy.  How could that be possible?" effect.  ie Ratings for the tv show.

Offline ranniks

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 10:06:49 AM
I don't think he'd be able to convince anyone.

The amusing part would be no matter what he did, people would say he's copying Chopin and it's not original.  Therefore, it's crap.  Haha.  But you know, there are jobs for good pianist as accompanists and things.  The college teaching jobs are harder to get since there's more competition.  Nineteen's a little late too.  A lot of people just do music on the side and have a more business-oriented full-time job.  There are nights and weekends for music things still.

That seems kind of ridiculous to be honest. Someone so talented as Chopin (there isn't a talent to this day on par with him) could absolutely hit the biggest job in all of music. His compositions will be/are beyond the league of any improvisations of this age. Even if people don't think that he is really Chopin, his compositions alone will make him a legend all over again.

That could work. I'm guessing you read that somewhere in a memoire of Chopin?

It would be the same... What would anyone have to do to prove that they're the reincarnation of someone else?

There's a BBC (I think) documentary about a kid from Scotland (I think) born around the present.  He described things from the 1960s and thought he was the child of a family from back then.  Kind of a creepy documentary.  They took all his info down.  Then they went to the locations.  Some of the stuff checked out.  And then other things didn't. 

That would also get into what reincarnation is exactly.  For this BBC doc kid, it was like he had partial memories from someone else, or memories that were half true/half false or from an alternate version of our reality.

I'm not finding it on youtube.  Looking for reincarnation, past life evidence.... oi, the nutsoes out there.  If you want to find some documentaries or news stories for "proof" it's easy to find it there.  I'd lean toward these news/docs being something to get ratings.  Like ghost stories. The "oo,  that's creepy.  How could that be possible?" effect.  ie Ratings for the tv show.
[/quote

Yes, I've seen the documentary for only a few minutes I think. It's the one with him thinking he was born on an island with many people there?

Either way, I don't think reincarnation is possible; just count the amount of humans who have lived in each time period.

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 01:47:57 PM

I love you so much for that. Lmao

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 02:58:39 PM
That seems kind of ridiculous to be honest. Someone so talented as Chopin (there isn't a talent to this day on par with him)
But of course there is. The times are just different and they are using their talent for something else than composing romantic era piano music. There were much less people alive in the19th century and yet so many talented composers emerged. So raw talent isn't obviously that rare.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 12:12:46 AM
I heard a professor in college saying something very similar to this. "If x-composer were born today, what style would they compose in?" 

Offline chopinfrederic

Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 03:59:09 PM
Ask him what makes him think so, and ask him to compose new songs (every composer has his own personality).
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert