Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Starting with a new instrument...  (Read 2956 times)

Offline willcowskitz

• PS Silver Member
Starting with a new instrument...
on: March 01, 2003, 12:31:46 AM
I've thought about (and I will) starting with a new instrument or two or who knows.

Currently I'm trying to choose between violin, clarinet or flute.

I like the 'fresh' and mysterious sound of clarinet.
I like the 'sensitive' and 'airy' sound of flute.
I like the idea of playing a violin physically. Of course its got a great sound, too.

I'm greatly motivated, but getting to know the instruments 'beforehand' like this could be a good idea.

Is violin really that notoriously difficult? and so on.

Offline MzrtMusic

• PS Silver Member
Re: Starting with a new instrument...
Reply #1 on: March 01, 2003, 05:25:01 AM
I picked up the violin when I was 13, and it really wasn't as hard as I was expecting. Just like in piano, you eventually learn where to put your fingers without looking, you eventually learn where to put your fingers in the violin neck. I can promise you that it will sound really bad the first two weeks or so that you play it, but it will get better from there!!! It was also really helpful to my piano skills to learn the violin. With an insturment that requires precise finger placement, you really have to listen to what you are playing, and that skill can transfer to piano.

So, IMHO, violin isn't nearly as hard as it's rumored to be!!!

Love,

Sarah
My heart is full of many things...there are moments when I feel that speech is nothing after all.
-- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Offline willcowskitz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 01, 2003, 05:34:25 AM
Hmmm. Thanks for the information, Sarah. I'll look forward to getting a cheap violin for starters. I bet it'll be fun when I learn...

Also I'd like to hear about playing clarinet and flute...
Anything related!

Offline MzrtMusic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 01, 2003, 05:47:00 AM
I know nothing about the flute, but my teacher and I were talking about clarinets today... I just remembered this, or I'd have put it in my last post... Anyway... A Clarinet is a "transposed" insturment. I think that it's a fifth... Any clarinetists on here will have to forgive me if I'm wrong... Anyway... If it is a fifth, say you see the "g" on the treble second line (the one right above middle c), and that's the note that you play, what you hear will actually be a middle c.  It sounds rather complicated to me, but I suppose that you could get used to anything!!!

Love,

Sarah
My heart is full of many things...there are moments when I feel that speech is nothing after all.
-- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Offline ludwig

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 01, 2003, 07:42:59 AM

The clarinet is indeed a tranposed instrument, however it is not a fifth in transposition (sowwy sarah,) there are the 2 main ones, the A clarinet, and the B flat clarinet. Which means that when you play a "c" on the instrument, it will sound a B flat on the B flat clarinet. The clarinet is a good instrument, the most important thing about playing the clarinet is good breathing, air control, mouth control etc... It does have a wonderful tone if it is played well.
"Classical music snobs are some of the snobbiest snobs of all. Often their snobbery masquerades as helpfulnes... unaware that they are making you feel small in order to make themselves feel big..."ÜÜÜ

natasha

Reply #5 on: April 21, 2003, 09:33:47 AM
about the violin, its really gud 2 keep up the piano with it. mi violin tchr gave up the piano and she wishes she didnt bcos with the violin ur hand r doing dif. things, but with the piano theyre not and bcos she didnt keep up the piano when she puts her hands together the gaps between them are different! she says it happens to alot of people..lol!!

Offline amee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 21, 2003, 10:22:24 AM
The good thing about learning the piano is you learn to read in both clefs.  If you only did for example, the flute or the bassoon, you would only learn to read in one clef fluently.
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." - Frederic Chopin

Offline Mellbell57

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 10, 2003, 07:43:08 PM
I took up flute when I was 11, and I've found it to be a wonderful instrument. I think the rapid fingerings on the piano transferred to flute. However, flute is annoying if you can't get a good tone on it, and you learn how to use your mouth, tongue, and airstream. You also (for me) become more comfortable with reading high notes above the staff on the piano.

Offline chopininoff

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: February 09, 2004, 12:07:16 AM
Hi all,

I'm just new here and thought I'd ressurrect this topic as I have a question relating to it.

As to some background, I did up to Grade 7 piano when I was 16. Then because of school, and subsequently leaving home for university, I stopped playing completely for nine years until just three weeks ago when I eventually got the piano moved to where I am now.

I found a music school here where I am taking lessons again and the teacher okay-ed me to go for Grade 8 (and I was so certain that I was crap and he'd say I have to polish up for 6-12 mths before even thinking of going for the exam!). I am finding I am loving it more than ever before and am wanting to take up another instrument as well (which I can do at this same school).

What I have more or less decided on (due to several reasons) is the violin. I am just wondering for those who play the violin:

1. Is it easy to pick it up, esp as an adult? I mean, I can read music of course, which must help, but what about the fingering, sussing out the position for the bowing etc to get the right notes?

2. To start off with (discounting music obsession of course!) how much practice is needed say in the first year or so to get the feel of the instrument and start playing beginner pieces?

The reason why I am asking is because what with work, piano (which takes at least 3 hours practice a day), skating and other matters of everyday life, I would not be able to fit violin in if it needs a good chunk of daily time. I was thinking of taking it up after my Grade 8 exam and switch from piano to violin lessons instead, but now I am getting a little impatient in wanting to try something new.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I've never known a musician who regretted being one. Whatever deceptions life may have in store for you, music itself is not going to let you down. ~ Virgil Thompson

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: February 09, 2004, 10:14:33 PM
I have to polish up for 6-12 mths before even thinking of going for the exam

Is that so you can play Chopin? ;),
Ed

Offline chopininoff

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: February 10, 2004, 12:18:37 AM

Ed

;D It's that obvious, er?  ;)
Well, I won't deny that I've gotten very into Chopin since I started up the piano again (I wasn't as familiar with his works in my teens), nor do I deny I've chosen the Chopin waltz for my List C exam piece, which is taking multiple repetitions to get the leaping about the keyboard into muscle memory.

I was surprised though that he okay-ed me because I didn't think what I played him for the first lesson was all that great (esp since I'd only had a weeks' practice at the time) but, hey, I'm not complaining!
I've never known a musician who regretted being one. Whatever deceptions life may have in store for you, music itself is not going to let you down. ~ Virgil Thompson

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: February 10, 2004, 01:45:14 AM
Ed

Too subtle?
Ed
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert