Piano Forum

Topic: Curriculum for the beginning student - ages 10 - 15  (Read 1898 times)

Offline lcfreund

Curriculum for the beginning student - ages 10 - 15
on: February 10, 2014, 12:30:32 PM
I have a male student who is talented, and LOVED to play piano when I first started him on a method book.  But the songs have become boring, and he is losing interest. He is beginning to play by ear instead of reading the notes.  Even I have to admit the songs are boring.  Any suggestions on what might motivate this 10 year old boy?

Offline xdjuicebox

• PS Silver Member
Re: Curriculum for the beginning student - ages 10 - 15
Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 08:58:32 PM
Have him play one of the easier Haydn/Mozart Sonatas (and let him pick! But make sure the ones that he's allowed to pick one all fit the purpose you want), or maybe even one of the easier Chopin Nocturnes (Op. 9 No. 2 comes to mind).

I think the most important thing for me in learning piano was that I was just so in love with the songs that I was willing to play them at any tempo, as long as at the end of the tunnel I knew I'd get that magical sound that I wanted.

So yeah, let him pick something he'd love to play out of a selection that is good for his level.
I am trying to become Franz Liszt. Trying. And failing.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert