Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Piano dropped a little during move  (Read 2009 times)

Offline sabboushi

Piano dropped a little during move
on: February 12, 2014, 09:33:38 PM
Hi-

I just had my 5' 1" Kawai Baby Grand piano moved and the 3 movers weren't very good at "soft landings"; after taking off the front left leg and dropping that corner down to the piano board, the guy on that side wasn't able to hold the weight and it dropped the last 6".  The bottom corner of that corner got slightly "rounded" as a result where I suspect it took the impact.

Then again, after the move, when they were raising the piano... the guy on the right side couldn't hold the weight and the piano dropped the last 6" onto the right leg.

I'm concerned about what possible consequences and/or damage may have been done as a result... I would hate for a technician to be working on my piano in the future and say "Hmmm... was your piano ever dropped?  It looks like damage was caused to the ....."

Would appreciate any thoughts from knowledgeable folks.  Thanks-
Sam

Offline silverwoodpianos

Re: Piano dropped a little during move
Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 12:21:52 AM

Not so good if the impact made a permanent mark in the cabinet edge. I would suspect there is no damage to the integrity of the instrument. Just don’t make a habit out of something like that so next time try another company.
Dan Silverwood
 www.silverwoodpianos.com
https://silverwoodpianos.blogspot.com/

If you think it's is expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Offline lhorwinkle

Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 12:34:25 AM
And make them pay for the damage.

Offline sabboushi

Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 01:02:20 AM
Thanks for your posts.

Anyone else?

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 05:05:15 AM
Have them pay for the damage, inspection by a tech, and throw in a free tuning.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 08:51:42 AM
Inspect the fine print on your Terms of Carriage and other associated documents.  See what your rights are as a client.  If there is a clause for damage of transported goods, you have a point of where to start. 

Before you start to clean up your piano, polish off the fingerprints etc., take detailed photos of the damage.  Use a decent camera, read: not a cell phone, which can capture details of the instrument.  Hopefully you took pre-move photos of the piano as well to illustrate its condition prior to transportation. 

Have a tech come out and specifically check and document any damage to the piano. 

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline sabboushi

Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 06:48:29 PM
Thanks so much for the feedback.  The company asked me to send an email with details.

I noticed that some of the notes seem to have gone a little out of tune after the move.  The move was just about two miles, so same climate/humidity level... so I am wondering whether hard impacts can affect the pitch/tuning?

Offline silverwoodpianos

Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 07:03:06 PM

Normal following the vibrations of moving and transport.

And a little bump here and there to help knock it out of tune.

You would have to tune anyways.
Dan Silverwood
 www.silverwoodpianos.com
https://silverwoodpianos.blogspot.com/

If you think it's is expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Offline sabboushi

Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 07:49:44 PM
Thanks - anyone else?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert