Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: How many more times you've written 1-5 than 6-0  (Read 1821 times)

Offline cometear

• PS Silver Member
How many more times you've written 1-5 than 6-0
on: February 25, 2014, 03:39:36 AM
I just thought about how teachers are ALWAYS writing in finger numbers and since we don't have >5 fingers, you don't write 6, 7, 8, 9, or 0 as much as you write 1-5. Imagine how many more times you've written 1-5 in your lifetime :P
Clementi, Piano Sonata in G Minor, No. 3, op. 10
W. A. Mozart, Sonata for Piano Four-Hands in F Major, K. 497
Beethoven, Piano Concerto, No. 2, op. 19

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Re: How many more times you've written 1-5 than 6-0
Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 11:03:03 PM
I don't have that problem because I use a secret mathematical algorithm to generate additional numbers to represent my fingers in addition to the traditional 1-5 so
a) all numbers are represented equally
b) no pianists can steal my amazing fingerings

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Re: How many more times you've written 1-5 than 6-0
Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 11:19:26 PM
I don't have that problem because I use a secret mathematical algorithm to generate additional numbers to represent my fingers in addition to the traditional 1-5 so
a) all numbers are represented equally
b) no pianists can steal my amazing fingerings

Haha.

Actually, 0-9, where 0 is LH pinkie and 9 is RH pinkie (and the rest are obvious), is not such a silly idea. There are pieces where hands cross or interlock, or where hands stray across staves (or indeed where there are 3 or more staves) where ten finger notation is a lot clearer.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert