Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Yundi Li  (Read 43455 times)

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Re: Yundi Li
Reply #200 on: February 08, 2005, 03:35:15 AM

Right here:

The point is that Maja81 has posted praise for both LL and Li... which according to you, makes her part of the "conspiracy theory."

Good call

You people never answer my questions directly, instead you are just good at misleading people. I really should come here less often, peace!

Offline aquariuswb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #201 on: February 08, 2005, 03:39:34 AM
Peace
Favorite pianists include Pollini, Casadesus, Mendl (from the Vienna Piano Trio), Hungerford, Gilels, Argerich, Iturbi, Horowitz, Kempff, and I suppose Barenboim (gotta love the CSO). Too many others.

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #202 on: February 08, 2005, 04:05:48 AM
Just one more point, the link given by ganonia has been altered. The one given by him when he first wrote that message was this:

https://www.pianoforum.net/smf/index.php

Even at the time when xvimbi wrote this message « Reply #191 on: February 07, 2005, 08:26:43 PM », it was still this link. But now it has been changed to the following one:

https://pianoforum.net/smf/index.php/topic,5403.msg66371.html#msg66371

Too many tricks, huh?

piece!

Offline aquariuswb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #203 on: February 08, 2005, 04:26:53 AM
Just one more point, the link given by ganonia has been altered. The one given by him when he first wrote that message was this:

Even at the time when xvimbi wrote this message « Reply #191 on: February 07, 2005, 08:26:43 PM », it was still this link. But now it has been changed to the following one:

https://pianoforum.net/smf/index.php/topic,5463.150.html

Too many tricks, huh?

piece!

I am speechless.
Favorite pianists include Pollini, Casadesus, Mendl (from the Vienna Piano Trio), Hungerford, Gilels, Argerich, Iturbi, Horowitz, Kempff, and I suppose Barenboim (gotta love the CSO). Too many others.

Offline brewtality

• PS Silver Member
Reply #204 on: February 08, 2005, 04:51:02 AM
tibidi, you are a comedic genius

Offline Brian Healey

• PS Silver Member
Reply #205 on: February 08, 2005, 05:50:22 AM

Too many tricks, huh?

piece!

Up is down, day is night, black is white......

It's the freakin' twilight zone!

Seriously, I can't tell if you're just messing with people or if you really believe that there's an underground conspiracy bent on crushing Yundi Li. You have to admit that it's a pretty silly idea. Either way, this thread has been pretty amusing to read.

Peace,
Bri

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #206 on: February 08, 2005, 06:05:29 AM
tibidi, you are a comedic genius

Answer me this simple question.:

If golonia had put up a correct link to the message written by the other fellow at the beginning, why didn't he explain to me after I had complained that he only put up a link to the page that contained a list of topics? The following is the post I wrote to golonia when he gave me a wrong link.

Posted what? I don't understand you. The website you had put up here is just the list of the categories of the different topics of this forum. Do speak up clearly what you mean instead of trying  to mislead other people by your hahahaha!

Enough is enough, just don't scold me and then block me again without giving me a chance to defend myself. That had  happened to me too often in the past. I shall not entertain your silly accusations any more.

Offline Regulus Medtner

• PS Silver Member
Reply #207 on: February 08, 2005, 07:45:09 AM
I would mention that I am a big supporter of you-know-who (aka Yundi Li) but I might be considered the mastermind of this notorious underground conspiracy against him... So be it then...

If he was to read this topic, though, he'd be surely quite amused! ;) ;D :)

Offline galonia

• PS Silver Member
Reply #208 on: February 08, 2005, 08:20:53 AM
Firstly, tibidi, I am female so please use the correct pronouns.

Secondly I did not alter the link I had originally posted, and no one else seemed to have problems with it.

Thirdly, I chose not to respond and explain the link because obviously I cannot help someone who cannot even click on a link.  Your lack of computing ability has nothing to do with me.

Fourthly, and for this I apologize to everyone else, I will come clean because there is no use hiding it anymore.  All the rest of you should do so too.  Tibidi can see into our black souls.  He knows that the more we wax lyrical about Yundi Li, the more we are hiding our secret plan.  But he cannot be deceived, for he knows that the moment he allows himself to be lulled into a false sense of security, then we shall strike.  Then Yundi Li (poor baby) will be left friendless and with no one to defend him.  Lang Lang's popularity will reach heretofore unforeseen heights, and his legions of fans will crush all opposition in the universe.

Ah tibidi, how clever of you to have discovered our evil scheme.  All you other secret LL fans out there, I am sorry for confessing, I am weak.

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #209 on: February 08, 2005, 03:33:24 PM
« Reply #180 on: February 04, 2005, 05:58:41 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: galonia on February 04, 2005, 04:57:42 PM
tibidi, do you know Maja81 also posted this:

How is that possible???

Posted what? I don't understand you. The website you had put up here is just the list of the categories of the different topics of this forum. Do speak up clearly what you mean instead of trying 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Look at the post  written by me above, when I quoted golonia, the website address was

But now it is different. I know golonia had altered his own post, does it mean that if golonia had altered his own post, his post quoted by others will automatically be altered as well?  It happened to me once before that my post was altered by one website without my consent. 

golonia is accusing me of not knowing how to click to the link she/he gave me.

I bet golonia is capable of explaining to me why  xvimbi wrote the following:

"But Galonia pointed out that Maja81 also had a favorable post about LL, posted the link to that message, and wanted to know "how that is possible?"

Had golonia pointed out to me that Maja81 had a favorable post about LL? golonia is not going to alter his/her post now,  too late to alter. Hope golonia will have a satisfactory answer for me.

Offline xvimbi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #210 on: February 08, 2005, 03:53:25 PM
I swear, this will be my last post in this thread!

Had golonia pointed out to me that Maja81 had a favorable post about LL? golonia is not going to alter his/her post now,  too late to alter. Hope golonia will have a satisfactory answer for me.

Forgive me, but by now I think you are seriously paranoid. Brewtality answered Galonias post three minutes after she posted it, and Brewtality obviously did have the correct link. You answered an hour later. Are you going to tell us now that you saw Galonias post immediately, but didn't post your reply until later, and in the meantime, Galonia changed her post in order to mislead you (as you already did)?

If you are getting the same reaction from people from other forums as well, then it could indeed be that there is a giant, global conspiracy going on against you, and everybody knows about it. Yes, that's probably what's going on.  ::)

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #211 on: February 08, 2005, 04:03:48 PM
I swear, this will be my last post in this thread!

Forgive me, but by now I think you are seriously paranoid. Brewtality answered Galonias post three minutes after she posted it, and Brewtality obviously did have the correct link. You answered an hour later. Are you going to tell us now that you saw Galonias post immediately, but didn't post your reply until later, and in the meantime, Galonia changed her post in order to mislead you (as you already did)?

If you are getting the same reaction from people from other forums as well, then it could indeed be that there is a giant, global conspiracy going on against you, and everybody knows about it. Yes, that's probably what's going on.  ::)

Again, a simple question will never be answered, instead things are getting more and more complicated. what do you mean by "Brewtality obviously did have the correct link" ? Brewtality only hahaha, there is no link? Here is what Brewtality wrote:

hahahaha  ;D

Offline Motrax

• PS Silver Member
Reply #212 on: February 08, 2005, 04:22:57 PM
Well, the google ads at the bottom of the page are all for Pollini, which is surprising to me as Yundi Li and Lang Lang are the only two pianists being talked about here. I think that Pollini is really behind this, and that Li and LL are being used as pawns in some grand, evil plot of Mr. Maurizio's to take over the world through controversial classical pianists.  :o
"I always make sure that the lid over the keyboard is open before I start to play." --  Artur Schnabel, after being asked for the secret of piano playing.

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #213 on: February 08, 2005, 04:50:20 PM

I have discovered something I had never experienced before. The above two websites were linked to the same page a few hours ealier (the page that contains list of different topics), but now they are linked to two different pages. I still have the old page that I opened a few hours earlier (page 4 post 203 written by aquariuswb). I didn't close that page, instead, I just pull it down. I was surprised to notice that if you open a fresh page 4 and click to the same address, it shows a different page as compared to the one I opened a few hours earlier. Amazing!

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #214 on: February 08, 2005, 05:10:04 PM
Now, I am beginning to understand more, either galonia had changed his/her post or the same website address had been linked to two different pages at different time.

Offline dankoren

• PS Silver Member
Reply #215 on: February 08, 2005, 05:10:37 PM
« Reply #180 on: February 04, 2005, 05:58:41 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: galonia on February 04, 2005, 04:57:42 PM
tibidi, do you know Maja81 also posted this:

How is that possible???

Posted what? I don't understand you. The website you had put up here is just the list of the categories of the different topics of this forum. Do speak up clearly what you mean instead of trying 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Look at the post  written by me above, when I quoted golonia, the website address was

But now it is different. I know golonia had altered his own post, does it mean that if golonia had altered his own post, his post quoted by others will automatically be altered as well?  It happened to me once before that my post was altered by one website without my consent. 

golonia is accusing me of not knowing how to click to the link she/he gave me.

I bet golonia is capable of explaining to me why  xvimbi wrote the following:

"But Galonia pointed out that Maja81 also had a favorable post about LL, posted the link to that message, and wanted to know "how that is possible?"

Egad, how can anyone actually wade through all this paranoid crap?

Offline aquariuswb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #216 on: February 08, 2005, 05:52:28 PM
Now, I am beginning to understand more, either galonia had changed his/her post or the same website address had been linked to two different pages at different time.

You have to be the saddest person to ever walk this planet, if you really are, indeed, an Earthling at all. Seriously, you need to get a grip. See a shrink... or maybe you should just step outside once in a while, get a nice breath of fresh air. Because dude, you really suck.

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #217 on: February 08, 2005, 06:27:18 PM

You have to be the saddest person to ever walk this planet, if you really are, indeed, an Earthling at all. Seriously, you need to get a grip. See a shrink... or maybe you should just step outside once in a while, get a nice breath of fresh air. Because dude, you really suck.

This person is  too offensive.

I actually have a question I had liked to ask you earlier but I didn't go ahead to ask you as I didn't  feel like making things too complicated. Since you are here now yelling at me again, I might just as well ask you this question now.

I had copied the website address from your post dated

« Reply #199 on: Today at 08:46:27 AM »

and posted the website address in my post dated

« Reply #202 on: Today at 09:35:48 AM ».

But a few hours later, I had found that the one appeared in my post is different from yours. What had happened? Since I didn't want to make things too complicated, I just altered mine quietly. The address I am talking about is this:

Another trick again?

Offline aquariuswb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #218 on: February 08, 2005, 07:48:29 PM

This person is a too offensive.

I actually have a question I had liked to ask you earlier but I didn't go ahead to ask you as I didn't  feel like making things too complicated. Since you are here now yelling at me again, I might just as well ask you this question now.

I had copied the website address from you post dated

« Reply #199 on: Today at 08:46:27 AM »

and posted the website address in my post dated

« Reply #202 on: Today at 09:35:48 AM ».

But a few hours later, I had found that the one appeared in my post is different from yours. What had happened? Since I didn't want to make things too complicated, I just altered mine quietly. The address I am talking about is this:

Another trick again?

No, you are just demented. Trust me.

Offline brewtality

• PS Silver Member
Reply #219 on: February 08, 2005, 09:40:04 PM
Tibidi, it has become painfully obvious to us that you're not the brightest crayon in the box, but you know what? i think you're right. Galonia posted the wrong link in an attempt to mislead you, here is the link she originally posted: https://pianoforum.net/smf/index.php/topic,6784.0.html

this should explain everything if you read it in its entirety.

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #220 on: February 09, 2005, 02:04:48 AM

No, you are just demented. Trust me.

Is that  all aquariuswb could say?

Tibidi, it has become painfully obvious to us that you're not the brightest crayon in the box, but you know what? i think you're right. Galonia posted the wrong link in an attempt to mislead you, here is the link she originally posted: https://pianoforum.net/smf/index.php/topic,6784.0.html

this should explain everything if you read it in its entirety.

Haha! If I am not bright enough, I would not have saved a page for a few hours to see if the link to the same website address will change from time to time. Before I copied that website address from aquariuswb's post dated

« Reply #199 on: Today at 08:46:27 AM » ,

I had opened that address to see what it contained. It was linked to the page where Maja81 had written a post praising LL. But a few hours later, not only that  the website address in aquariuswb's post ( the one I copied from) is different from mine,  but the one in mine is no longer linked to Maja81's post, instead it was linked to the page that contained a list of topics such as Performance..iscellaneous. That is when I started to suspect that the link to the same address  might have been changed. So I saved one page for a few hours to see if what I suspected is true and I was right, the link had been changed again. It is linked to page 4 of this thread this time. I think I know why it was changed. It was changed so that it doesn't show the same page as

Am I not smart? I dare not accuse anybody of anything, but I believe I have the right to protect myself, haven't I?

Offline aquariuswb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #221 on: February 09, 2005, 02:22:17 AM

Offline musik_man

• PS Silver Member
Reply #222 on: February 09, 2005, 03:04:30 AM
I'm sorry guys but I need to come clean.  I'm a mole for LL.  I didn't want to do it.  I wanted to fight for the Glorious one(Yundi Li) and his incredible musical ability, but, alas, LL abducted my family to his Fortress of Doom(betcha didn't know he had one of those) on the Island of Over-commercialization.  My attempt to rescue them resulted in failure.  Easily, I crossed the Chasm of Funky Body Motions that surround his Fortress.  His Bombasity Guards were vanquished by my Sword of Taste +1.  I made my way undaunted through his Labrynth of Poor Interpretation.  Finally, I came face to face with the Dark Lord himself.  For hours I faced him and his mighty  Mace of Banality.  His fighting style was full of useless motions designed only to make others believe his might, yet still his power was great.  I knew that I couldn't defeat him with mere taste, so I cast a IVth level Bad Review spell.  Trembling, he fell to his knees and begged for a chance to renounce his evil ways and to play for good once again.  I, blinded by my foolish naivity, listened.  As my guard went down, he unleashed a fearful Hadoken, the like of which has not been seen since Super Street Fighter II Tournament Edition.

When I awoke, I was in a dark damp room.  A coarse, almost sickening voice resonated in the walls of my cell, a voice I recognized as belonging to no other than his twisted Lieutenant, xvimbi.  My family was to be forced to listen to the Dark Lord play the Don Juan fantasy for all eternity, unless... unless I would help him.  He spoke of one, one he called "the Prophet."  I was to ruthlessly mock the Prophet, attack his revelations as paranoia, and defend the Dark Lord's minions.

I quickly noted that any feeble attempts by the forces of darkness were quickly knocked aside by the Prophet and shown to be grotesque copies of the true musicality of the Glorious one.  Even the most sinister of the Dark Lord's servants, those who through guile and treachery convinced the board that they were followers of the truth, were exposed by his brilliance, like a dark place is exposed by light.  The realization, that my attempts would never phase him and never result in my family's safety, hit me.  I can now only go into exile and hope, through a life of taste and lack of body motions, to undo a small portion of the evil and poor interpretation that I have been an accessory to. :'(

I can only hope that Brewtality, aquariuswb, and dankoren will realize that the tastelessness of Lang Lang will never triumph.  May they renounce their ways and their insidious master and walk in the ways of Yundi.
/)_/)
(^.^)
((__))o

Offline aquariuswb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #223 on: February 09, 2005, 03:37:16 AM
I'm sorry guys but I need to come clean.  I'm a mole for LL.  I didn't want to do it.  I wanted to fight for the Glorious one(Yundi Li) and his incredible musical ability, but, alas, LL abducted my family to his Fortress of Doom(betcha didn't know he had one of those) on the Island of Over-commercialization.  My attempt to rescue them resulted in failure.  Easily, I crossed the Chasm of Funky Body Motions that surround his Fortress.  His Bombasity Guards were vanquished by my Sword of Taste +1.  I made my way undaunted through his Labrynth of Poor Interpretation.  Finally, I came face to face with the Dark Lord himself.  For hours I faced him and his mighty  Mace of Banality.  His fighting style was full of useless motions designed only to make others believe his might, yet still his power was great.  I knew that I couldn't defeat him with mere taste, so I cast a IVth level Bad Review spell.  Trembling, he fell to his knees and begged for a chance to renounce his evil ways and to play for good once again.  I, blinded by my foolish naivity, listened.  As my guard went down, he unleashed a fearful Hadoken, the like of which has not been seen since Super Street Fighter II Tournament Edition.

When I awoke, I was in a dark damp room.  A coarse, almost sickening voice resonated in the walls of my cell, a voice I recognized as belonging to no other than his twisted Lieutenant, xvimbi.  My family was to be forced to listen to the Dark Lord play the Don Juan fantasy for all eternity, unless... unless I would help him.  He spoke of one, one he called "the Prophet."  I was to ruthlessly mock the Prophet, attack his revelations as paranoia, and defend the Dark Lord's minions.

I quickly noted that any feeble attempts by the forces of darkness were quickly knocked aside by the Prophet and shown to be grotesque copies of the true musicality of the Glorious one.  Even the most sinister of the Dark Lord's servants, those who through guile and treachery convinced the board that they were followers of the truth, were exposed by his brilliance, like a dark place is exposed by light.  The realization, that my attempts would never phase him and never result in my family's safety, hit me.  I can now only go into exile and hope, through a life of taste and lack of body motions, to undo a small portion of the evil and poor interpretation that I have been an accessory to. :'(

I can only hope that Brewtality, aquariuswb, and dankoren will realize that the tastelessness of Lang Lang will never triumph.  May they renounce their ways and their insidious master and walk in the ways of Yundi.

Hands down, the best post I have ever seen on any forum -- period. Genius!

Offline lenny

• PS Silver Member
Reply #224 on: February 09, 2005, 05:41:11 AM
this is surely the greatest thread on any forum on the net.

tibidi is actually a bad advertisement for yundi li, since one assumes that being insane is a prerequisite quality to enjoy his music.

langlang is alot more famous than yundi, this is maybe because tibidi puts them off.

i was about to buy yundi's latest cd until i read this thread, now i see what kind of people enjoy his music, i am disturbed and dont want to become insane.
love,peace,hope,fresh coconuts

Offline lenny

• PS Silver Member
Reply #225 on: February 09, 2005, 05:47:39 AM

MY GOD! THATS THE FUNNIEST THING IVE READ ALL YEAR!

Offline galonia

• PS Silver Member
Reply #226 on: February 09, 2005, 10:47:02 AM

This is impossible - I may be weak, and the Dark Lord shall punish me for my weakness, yet he has powers you do not understand.  The Prophet knows this, hence he also knows we can never fully receive the light from Yundi.

Offline musik_man

• PS Silver Member
Reply #227 on: February 10, 2005, 06:11:24 AM
This is impossible - I may be weak, and the Dark Lord shall punish me for my weakness, yet he has powers you do not understand. The Prophet knows this, hence he also knows we can never fully receive the light from Yundi.

The Dark Lord's powers are chaff, ready to be blown by the winds of taste.  When the Glorious one comes with his consumate musicianship, it shall be like an all-consuming fire.  Then shall the deeds of all the wicked be drowned with beautiful music.
/)_/)
(^.^)
((__))o

Offline lenny

• PS Silver Member
Reply #228 on: February 10, 2005, 06:28:09 AM
i wonder what yundi would think if he read all of tibidi's defence...proud? honoured? disturbed?

Offline steinwaymodeld

• PS Silver Member
Reply #229 on: February 10, 2005, 07:27:29 PM

Brilliant!
Perfection itself is imperfection - Vladimir Horowitz

Offline chopinisque

• PS Silver Member
Reply #230 on: February 19, 2005, 11:59:05 AM
Dear tibidi,

The problem you're having with the link has happened to me on this forum many times.  Sometimes, the links work, but sometimes, it sends me the main forum directory and sometimes, it sends a message saying the board has moved.  Hopefully the admins will look into this.

Now, that business is over...

That is indeed the most funny one yet.  It's Dnd approach really does appeal.  Come roleplay with me.

this is surely the greatest thread on any forum on the net.

tibidi is actually a bad advertisement for yundi li, since one assumes that being insane is a prerequisite quality to enjoy his music.

langlang is alot more famous than yundi, this is maybe because tibidi puts them off.

i was about to buy yundi's latest cd until i read this thread, now i see what kind of people enjoy his music, i am disturbed and dont want to become insane.

Look, YL's business is being sabotaged by bad advertising. ;)
Mad about Chopin.

Offline dinosaurtales

• PS Silver Member
Reply #231 on: April 10, 2005, 07:09:03 PM
Well, Lundi Li did a recital here last night - he played Mozart K330, Schumann's Carnaval, Liszt Spanish Rhapsody, and Chopin's Anadante Spinato and Polonaise Brilliant.  It was all nice, but nothing really special.

The kid's good, but he still plays like a kid.  The Chopin was the real teller.  it was particularly obvious on the heals of the Louis Lortie recital, where the Chopin was simply incredible.  He's technically hot, and if he keeps working at it he could be wonderful in several years.  Right now (yawn) he's another wunderkind with fast fingers.
So much music, so little time........

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #232 on: April 11, 2005, 01:54:49 PM
Well, Lundi Li did a recital here last night - he played Mozart K330, Schumann's Carnaval, Liszt Spanish Rhapsody, and Chopin's Anadante Spinato and Polonaise Brilliant.  It was all nice, but nothing really special.

The kid's good, but he still plays like a kid.  The Chopin was the real teller.  it was particularly obvious on the heals of the Louis Lortie recital, where the Chopin was simply incredible.  He's technically hot, and if he keeps working at it he could be wonderful in several years.  Right now (yawn) he's another wunderkind with fast fingers.

Not that I want to praise Yundi Li. I thought I could give you another view from other as follows:

"Yundi Li, piano recital"

04/08/2005
Review by David Gregson

“Wild nights! Wild nights!” Emily Dickinson’s poem is about love, not Franz Liszt’s Piano Sonata in B minor (1854), but this is a tempest-tossed piece, a monumental struggle between Eros and Thanatos. Richard Strauss composed his orchestral tone poem Death and Transfiguration several decades later (1899), but as great as that work is, it cannot top this titanic sonata, a quintessentially Romantic work of heroic struggle. And it takes a hero to play it. Liszt was not writing music for genteel domestic consumption. He was composing for some kind of pianistic superman -- namely himself!

But I wonder if Liszt could have done what this young man did Friday night in Sherwood Hall. As the dark final note sounded like a death knell, he held the audience spellbound – a long silence, perhaps as many as eight seconds. I have never heard anything like this silence following a playing of the B Minor Sonata. People are usually too eager to applaud. But this was a perfect, stunned silence, commanded by a simple and familiar gesture of an outstretched arm. It was nothing absurdly flamboyant (such things are absent from this artist’s physical vocabulary), but a sign of his absolute artistic control.

“I can count the number of pianists worth hearing these days on my left hand,” remarked my concert companion, “and this is one of them.”

If my friend had been just anybody and not one of the last century’s top managers of world-class concert pianists, the remark might have seemed a bit silly. But Chinese pianist Yundi Li is the genuine article: a real artist, amazingly mature for 23, a young man already in possession of a phenomenal technique and the gift of musical sensibility that can lead to greatness.

Born in Chongquing in central China, Li learned to play the accordion at the age of four. Fortunately, he turned to the piano with the help of his parents. In October 2000 at the age of 18, he won the first prize at the Frédéric Chopin Competition held in Warsaw. Now he has a recording contract with Deutsche Grammphon (not too many artists are so lucky these days!), and he clearly has a fan club. Sherwood Auditorium was packed last night. So many Chinese music lovers were there, it seemed as if Li might be a national hero.

Before the intermission and the amazing Liszt performance, Li gave us his readings of Mozart’s Sonata No. 10 in C Major, K.230, and Schumann’s Carnaval, (Scčnes mignonnes sur quarte notes), the latter clearly more congenial for the artist than the Mozart. This “simple” and familiar work began mechanically and was not especially well articulated. By the middle of the second movement, however, Li found material more to his liking, lyrical phrases that might have been composed by a Romantic composer. This man’s heart might said to be anchored in the 19th century, yet by the time Li reached the Allegretto, his playing had become fluid and stylish.

Playing Schumann’s Carnaval is no easy task, its musical and technical demands are so protean. Unifying the whole thing is the trick. But because Li is a true artist, the whole thing came together.

It’s not easy to talk about such fine playing. With total justification the printed program proclaims, La Jolla Music Society Proudly Presents. This recital was certainly the highlight of this year’s excellent Revelle Series.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

Never mind if you don't agree with this review for I am not going to argue about it.

Offline dankoren

• PS Silver Member
Reply #233 on: April 11, 2005, 03:09:12 PM
 I knew you'd respond to this within less than the space of a day.

Offline Dazzer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #234 on: April 11, 2005, 03:24:22 PM
don't mind me... i'm just chuckling at the fact that a topic on yundi li was created by a user named lang lang...

Offline pianomann1984

• PS Silver Member
Reply #235 on: April 11, 2005, 07:10:01 PM
volodos relies upon hand crossing and other 'quasi-cheat' techniques for his showpieces

Don't get me wrong, but what's wrong with this?!  Life's too short to struggle.  Does volados produce the same effect?  I think he does and with less effort - I'd say volados is more intellint for this reason and should be commended.  I dislike Yundi Li's playing - I find it uninspiring and tiresome to listen to.
"What would you do if you weren't afraid?"

Offline aquariuswb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #236 on: April 12, 2005, 02:54:10 PM
Not that I want to praise Yundi Li.

I would never have thought for a second that you want to praise Yundi Li.

Offline tds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #237 on: April 12, 2005, 04:17:07 PM
to tibidi,

having one fan like you is what most homo sapiens have dreamt of since the very beginning of time. warmest, tds *views it all from miles away*
dignity, love and joy.

Offline Kassaa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #238 on: April 23, 2005, 06:42:10 PM
https://www.deutschegrammophon.com/special/video.htms?ID=yundili-liszt

OMG, this is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen :D:D

Piano playing is not MTV :o

Offline fred smalls

• PS Silver Member
Reply #239 on: April 24, 2005, 07:59:43 PM
Yeah, I've seen that video before.  :-X What a disgrace to piano. That video is the reason I don't like Yundi Li.  I don't care how good he is. That video has ruined him for me.
Medtner is my god.

Offline Dazzer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #240 on: August 07, 2005, 02:31:16 PM
well i guess its an attempt to touch the younger generation.

come on, maybe it IS time to move on...

sometimes people have to upgrade, and adapt. in fact, who knows it may have taken alot of persuasion for yundi to take part in such a "project"

its worked for maksim, and bond. so why not someone truly classical?

I'm all for anything that aims to promote the study of classical music.

Offline willybilly

• PS Silver Member
Reply #241 on: August 08, 2005, 03:53:49 AM
i agreed right up to your stupid comment about yundi being commercialised

I think I have WAY more Yundi li's materials then u have.
Except all the normal recording and video u can buy in store.
I happens to have his Brahms 2nd concerto video back in China when he was 16, I have his LIszt 1st concerto recording when he is in Germany, I haev his COMPLETE Japan recital video (which some of the part was taken out and as a promotion VCD in his liszt cd, too bad they didn't include the Liszt sonata, which in my opinion was pretty good.)

But to be frank, his technique and musical idea deteroiate thru out years as I have obsevered. It's quite a dissapointment, as I was excepting him to bloom.

His recent chopin scherzo recording has somehow redeem a little bit of my trust to him.
But still, I don't think he cares about the music as much as he did before.

And yea, he was a VERY VERY VERY commercialized icon in Asia (I am from Hong Kong), and half of the people who listen to him doesn't even know the music. They think he looks like a japanese TV drama star. It's quite sad, as he thinks the same thing too. And the company shapes him into this kind of Pop-star/Pianist thing.

yes, his persona is commerialised

but his PLAYING - IMO hasnt been affected at all by this

and i think he hasnt deteriorated recently...sounds as good as ever to me

Nothing wrong with being commercialized.  The more exposure the better.  For some, this is only the way young people will be exposed to classical music.

Offline ako

• PS Silver Member
Reply #242 on: August 10, 2005, 08:50:18 PM
https://www.deutschegrammophon.com/special/video.htms?ID=yundili-liszt

OMG, this is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen :D:D

Piano playing is not MTV :o

I bought his Liszt CDs from Hong Kong and the package included a video CD that has this video along with some interviews and bonus materials. I think this video was promoted as a "MTV" clip with a special sticker and it was one of the main selling points for this CD in the HK market.  You have to understand that the Asian market is very different from the American market . In Hong Kong, they love those type of gimmicks, however strange it might seem to the rest of us. I think the video is definitely ridiculous but I also think it helped sell many more CDs in the Asian market.

Offline yoshiki

• PS Silver Member
Reply #243 on: August 12, 2005, 03:37:55 PM
With the MTV thing, at least you can put up some ads on TV. And I think the MTV is great actually, classical music need to adapt changes.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert