Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: What to wear?  (Read 6586 times)

Shagdac

What to wear?
on: November 22, 2004, 03:38:35 AM
Would appreciate any suggestions on female attire for performing at a
formal piano recital in December. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you,
S :)

Offline Ludwig Van Rachabji

• PS Silver Member
Re: What to wear?
Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 03:59:06 AM
Well, as a male, I'm not sure if I have any authority in this matter. However, I suggest black. Black is the best color for any performance, regardless of sex, imho.

Ludwig Van Rachabji
Music... can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable. Leonard Bernstein

Offline Tash

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 06:33:09 AM
something classy, a nice long dress, formal of course. i wouldn't necessarily say black, but a dark colour. one girl at the sydney international piano comp this year wore this gorgeous dark green dress (i can't remember the details of it any more than that), but it looked beautiful.
'J'aime presque autant les images que la musique' Debussy

Offline Sketchee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 09:08:14 AM
I'm a male, but I performed in pink on Friday.  I had navy blue tuxedo pants on: https://www.sketchee.com/gallery/me/cap_112

I don't think black and white is necessary.  Especially when you're a solist you have a lot of freedom.  Think formal, simple and comfortable for playing.  The little black dress can work but you're not so severely limited as black.  Even women soloists in orchestras I've seen do something more creative against their male comrades in the black and white tuxes.

I've seen Lang Lang wear some unusally and somewhat tacky faux asianwear.  Lesson is, don't go too far.
Sketchee
https://www.sketchee.com [Paintings. Music.]

Offline galonia

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 08:26:06 AM
No need to limit yourself to black - Ayano Shimada, one of the prize winners at the 2004 Sydney International Piano Competition, wore a beautiful red dress for the finals.

As long as it's formal enough for the occasion, colour should follow the usual fashion rules - that it looks good on you!  Unless, of course, you are a member of an orchestra and there are dress rules.

Offline julie391

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 25, 2004, 01:24:49 AM
i would go nude, but im afraid that would cause an uprising of sorts...but seriously id go for something pretty, but with no frills.

Offline galonia

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 25, 2004, 06:38:22 AM
i would go nude,

Why don't you take a leaf out of tash's book and wear a tiara?   ;D

Offline Tash

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 26, 2004, 12:34:34 AM
yeah tiara and heels, look classy!
'J'aime presque autant les images que la musique' Debussy

Spatula

Reply #8 on: November 26, 2004, 01:24:18 AM
If it is a dress for the ladies. WEAR WITH STRAPS!  I've seen one wardrobe malfunction and a half too many. 

Offline galonia

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: November 26, 2004, 08:52:27 AM
If it is a dress for the ladies. WEAR WITH STRAPS! I've seen one wardrobe malfunction and a half too many.

Agreed!!!

Offline pianofancy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: December 03, 2004, 08:46:39 AM
have you seen how M.Ushida wear for concerts or H.Grimaud? Find your own personality. (they wore trousers but smart)  ;)

Offline pianochic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: December 05, 2004, 03:40:52 PM
A flowery, sexy dress that at least comes down to your knees. hah. That's what I wore for my last recital. A nice dress that's a bit showy at the same time appropriate is decent, in my opinion.

Offline Alde

Reply #12 on: December 08, 2004, 05:02:42 PM
Make sure, first of all that what ever you wear you feel comfortable - especially if you are playing a full length recital.  If this is a December recital and you are performing in the north wear something warm.
With regards to color, I prefer black.

Offline heldig

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: December 10, 2004, 10:31:11 AM

Dressing for piano performances is really important - particularly if you will be on a stage. Having watched many performances over the years, could I suggest that if you wish to be taken seriously:-
*don't wear skirts that are knee-length or shorter unless you have seen yourself in a full-length mirror while sitting at the piano.
*don't wear tight clothing for the same reason. You also want to be able to breathe and move comfortably.
*don't wear brief tops or low cut trousers that expose various parts of your torso - the audience wishes to hear a performance without unnecessary distractions, particularly if you are performing a very energetic piece of music.
*don't wear stiletto, or any other kind of high heeled, shoes or sandals if you intend to use the pedals correctly.
*don't wear jewellery that will tinkle or clatter.

Usually darker colours are better - I would suggest a jacket-style top with trousers is the best option, especially if you are not used to wearing formal clothes. If you are planning to play many concerts, then once you have found clothes that you are comfortable in and that look good on the stage - keep them especially for performances. Then every time you get dressed in them, you are helping to prepare for the performance.

Regards,
Elizabeth

What I do today is important
because I am giving up one day of my life for it.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert