Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Parkour  (Read 1561 times)

Offline mahmudfasihulazam

Parkour
on: March 16, 2014, 02:27:44 AM
Is there anybody on this forum who likes/does parkour? I am thinking of starting parkour. It's fascinating.

Cheers.

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Re: Parkour
Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 03:17:28 AM
No, but it looks fun.  I tried aggressive inline skating when I was younger but didn't have the necessary protection so I quit after I hurt myself.  A helmet and hand pads looks like required safetywear.

Offline cabbynum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 06:38:48 AM
No, but it looks fun.  I tried aggressive inline skating when I was younger but didn't have the necessary protection so I quit after I hurt myself.  A helmet and hand pads looks like required safetywear.

I am a diver... Sorta similar. Way lower risk of injury though
Just here to lurk and cringe at my old posts now.

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 04:21:25 PM
Parkour?!

that's lame get in to skateboarding!
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 06:09:46 PM
Skateboards cost money and are more dangerous to passerby's.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 10:36:57 PM
What about slow motion or slow speed parkour?  Sticking mainly to the sidewalk?
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline cabbynum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 10:54:33 PM
What about slow motion or slow speed parkour?  Sticking mainly to the sidewalk?

You are going way to hardcore

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 11:29:42 PM
Skateboards cost money and are more dangerous to passerby's.
So is piano ::)

psssssh I've never came even close to hitting someone with my board!

However...

I've seen a couple people almost get hit or run into.

That's because they're freaking idiots!!!  If you can't stop yourself and is going to run in the middle of street or sidewalk traffic, have someone spot you!!! >:(

No but yeah, whenever I have my board in my hand, everyone's so freaking scared of me!!!  Like they stop in the middle of their tracks waiting for me to do something.  dude, I'm not blind.  I freaking see you.  Just walk by, I'm not Bach or something, Jeez...

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 11:33:16 PM

psssssh I've never came even close to hitting someone with my board!

We all know that the only person in real physical danger from your board is you.  ::)
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 11:36:41 PM
We all know that the only person in real physical danger from your board is you.  ::)

You have to go through adversity to achieve success!

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 12:08:37 AM
It doesn't matter how skilled ONE skateboarder is.  Anyone who's ever had to dodge a skateboard knows this fear which is why I hate skateboarders skating on the sidewalk.  I wish all skateboarders crashed on their heads, because most of them are stupid enough to know not to wear helmets.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 01:41:45 AM
It doesn't matter how skilled ONE skateboarder is.  Anyone who's ever had to dodge a skateboard knows this fear which is why I hate skateboarders skating on the sidewalk.  I wish all skateboarders crashed on their heads, because most of them are stupid enough to know not to wear helmets.

Are you confusing skateboarding for longboarding?  

I've had to deal with so many longboarders on campus running into me because THEY DON'T KNOW HOW TO FREAKING RIDE ONE!!!  >:(

Maybe you're too stupid to understand that we know what we're doing.  We don't need to wear freaking helmets FOR THE MOST PART.  If you're skating a 175 foot megaramp that's something else.  But for every day skating, hitting your head like never happens.  And even if you do hit your head, a really hard smack on the ground is even more rare. It's just that whenever we fall it's a big deal to an outsider like you because it looks like we just died or something.  You're not used to seeing people fall all the time, so I guess I can't blame you for your ignorance.  We fall and roll on the ground and somebody walking by is like 'OH MY GOD are you okay?  Did you hit your head?  Did you break anything?! You cut your arm we need to go to the hospital' when we're actually COMPLETELY FINE. :o :o :o You guys think we're crazy but falling is such a normal thing to us so we don't make a big deal out of it.  Sure we get injuries, but so does every other sport.  Contrary to popular belief, ours are usually not nearly as often as not nearly as bad as everyone else's.  You have Kevin Ware breaking his tibia out of his skin, Derrick Rose tearing his ACL and now his miniscus (minus all the broken and jammed fingers you get from basketball), football players getting hella concussions etc...  But the most recent bad thing that I can think of from professional skateboarding is that nasty ankle role where this guy ripped his skin apart so bad that he exposed his ligaments to the air or something.  Anything before that would be some guy falling 50 feet back in 2007.  SEVEN years ago.

And the same thing goes for BMXers, Parkour people, aggressive skating (fruitbooters), snowboarders, surfers etc...  Kudos to you guys!

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 02:15:46 AM
Sure we get injuries, but so does every other sport.  

The injury incidence in croquet is remarkably low.

I would have said the same for lawn bowls, but apparently more people die playing that than any other sport.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline cabbynum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 04:34:58 AM
Are you confusing skateboarding for longboarding?  

I've had to deal with so many longboarders on campus running into me because THEY DON'T KNOW HOW TO FREAKING RIDE ONE!!!  >:(

Maybe you're too stupid to understand that we know what we're doing.  We don't need to wear freaking helmets FOR THE MOST PART.  If you're skating a 175 foot megaramp that's something else.  But for every day skating, hitting your head like never happens.  And even if you do hit your head, a really hard smack on the ground is even more rare. It's just that whenever we fall it's a big deal to an outsider like you because it looks like we just died or something.  You're not used to seeing people fall all the time, so I guess I can't blame you for your ignorance.  We fall and roll on the ground and somebody walking by is like 'OH MY GOD are you okay?  Did you hit your head?  Did you break anything?! You cut your arm we need to go to the hospital' when we're actually COMPLETELY FINE. :o :o :o You guys think we're crazy but falling is such a normal thing to us so we don't make a big deal out of it.  Sure we get injuries, but so does every other sport.  Contrary to popular belief, ours are usually not nearly as often as not nearly as bad as everyone else's.  You have Kevin Ware breaking his tibia out of his skin, Derrick Rose tearing his ACL and now his miniscus (minus all the broken and jammed fingers you get from basketball), football players getting hella concussions etc...  But the most recent bad thing that I can think of from professional skateboarding is that nasty ankle role where this guy ripped his skin apart so bad that he exposed his ligaments to the air or something.  Anything before that would be some guy falling 50 feet back in 2007.  SEVEN years ago.

And the same thing goes for BMXers, Parkour people, aggressive skating (fruitbooters), snowboarders, surfers etc...  Kudos to you guys!

I still go to the gymnastics gym weekly and I fall quite often. When you are involved in a sport that involves falling of any kind you generally learn how to fall.

Tonight I was doing a double backflip and I took off wrong and didn't get the required flip speed. Luckily I know how to not die when things go wrong. I can't prevent injury but I can make the injury way less severe because I know what I'm doing. But outsiders don't get it!!! It's very annoying. I hate it.

Offline cabbynum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 04:39:19 AM

Check out my channel for more. I think one of the videos got taken down because I used a recording of zimmerman for the background. Whoops.
Anyway, don't go to far back. Because it gets fairly embarassing...
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert