Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Time  (Read 2525 times)

Offline stillofthenight

• PS Silver Member
Time
on: May 06, 2014, 11:44:46 PM
In 4/4 time can playing 2:3, that is 2 eighth notes played against a set of triplet eighth notes sound like 4 sixteenth notes played in rubato time?

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Re: Time
Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 11:53:57 PM
Only if it's done wrong.

In a polyrhythm, you have two (and occasionally more) distinct rhythms going on, not one complex rhythm.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline stillofthenight

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 12:04:58 AM
I should have said if you deliberately played 4 sixteenth notes using pure rubato is it at all possible to sound like the 2:3 in strict timing.

So I am trying to get 4 sixteenth notes in rubato to sound like such.

Im just trying to expand my view of timing

Yes but what is wrong with the 2:3 poly being seen as just 4 notes side by side being played in some other form of time such as rubato? And note the 2:3 the first note of each set starts at the same time so it would come down to 4 notes side by side if looked at linearly (take the 3 notes in bass  and sandwich them up into the two notes in treble to create linearity)

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 12:28:36 AM
I should have said if you deliberately played 4 sixteenth notes using pure rubato is it at all possible to sound like the 2:3 in strict timing.

I suppose it's possible for the notes to fall in the same place, but four sixteenth notes with rubato applied should sound like four sixteenth notes, not like a polyrhythm.

Im just trying to expand my view of timing

Yes but what is wrong with the 2:3 poly being seen as just 4 notes side by side being played in some other form of time such as rubato? And note the 2:3 the first note of each set starts at the same time so it would come down to 4 notes side by side if looked at linearly (take the 3 notes in bass  and sandwich them up into the two notes in treble to create linearity)

2:3 polyrhythm is two separate rhythms going on. It has two lines of music that have different rhythms that align at certain points. If you conceive of it as one line and one (complex) rhythm, you are starting from the wrong place. Don't think of it as being about timing. Think of it about being about rhythm. Timing is a halfway house. Music is about rhythm.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert