Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Harassing PF members  (Read 4739 times)

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Harassing PF members
on: May 07, 2014, 07:29:50 AM
There has been a lot of harassment going on specifically targeting me that has been ongoing and persistent.  I've messaged these members to request they stop but it has persisted.  I'd like something done about this issue.

Thanks, Nils.

Offline carl_h

• PS Silver Member
Re: Harassing PF members
Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 07:59:41 AM
Hello Nils,

I do not know you and I have never spoken to you. When I browse through various post I see your name a lot and then trouble begins... ruining the posts. Maybe you should stop calling everyone that doesn't agree with you and idiot.
If there is a lot of harassement against you then perphaps you are the problem, just some food for thought...

Greetings,

Offline mikeowski

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 08:16:43 AM
Hello Nils

Unless this is a big coincidence, he is referring to Nils the moderator. Just saying.

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 08:59:20 AM
Hello Nils,

I do not know you and I have never spoken to you. When I browse through various post I see your name a lot and then trouble begins... ruining the posts. Maybe you should stop calling everyone that doesn't agree with you and idiot.
If there is a lot of harassement against you then perphaps you are the problem, just some food for thought...

Greetings,

Nils runs the site.  For the record, I never called anyone an idiot if they disagree.  It's the exact opposite than what you state: I am the one being attacked because they disagree.

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 10:19:58 AM
Maybe if you were to stop talking sh1t about some of the 20th century's greatest artists, and chose instead to post actual footage of your own music-making, people would warm to you a bit!  :o

Offline carl_h

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 10:38:27 AM
Nils runs the site.  For the record, I never called anyone an idiot if they disagree.  It's the exact opposite than what you state: I am the one being attacked because they disagree.

:) 

Offline pianoman53

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 11:17:17 AM
I think it's simple. It's not the people who disagrees with you that are the idiots.

Offline beebert

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 12:02:10 PM
Well faulty_damper, I have read a lot of things that you have said and you seem like an intelligent man who has a lot of good points and insights. The mistake you make is that you seem to think that you can tell people how they think. Even though you are "correct" in many of your points, you cannot tell people how these points apply on them; because in the end we only have our own subjective view on the world and that's all we know something about. Everything that leads up to suffering or faults in our thinking is because we don't entirely trust this inner subjective truths but need confirmation from outside. This statement is something that I think you sometimes try to make, the problem is that you sort of contradict yourself by trying making these words objective laws. Your statements often sound like "I am right and you are wrong". You said in another thread that you are here to help people, but the way you make your comments leads to people feeling that you are NOT trying to help. I think you have many good points, but you cannot use a posting style which sort of gives one the impression that you are the only one with a good point here, especially not if you want to help people.

For example, you said something to another member about him NOT being in love. I think your reasoning about what love is was quite interesting and you made some good points, but you made a mistake when telling a member you know nothing about that he was NOT in love.

Regarding all your views on piano technique, you also make some interesting points, but you tell them as if they are objective rules and that you are the only one right. It is hard to take you views on piano technique seriously though since you seem to refuse posting a recording of you own playing. Many members have done that, you have not, and since you say you have "effortless technique" I think plenty would be curious to see you demonstrate you views on technique through a video instead of written words, so that we know that we can take your words seriously. As it is now, you are just wasting your time when you make statements about piano technique since nobody know anything about your true knowledge. Sometimes one can almost get the impression that you are trolling(something which you often reminds us that you don't like when people do).

Offline cabbynum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 03:04:05 PM
Well faulty_damper, I have read a lot of things that you have said and you seem like an intelligent man who has a lot of good points and insights. The mistake you make is that you seem to think that you can tell people how they think. Even though you are "correct" in many of your points, you cannot tell people how these points apply on them; because in the end we only have our own subjective view on the world and that's all we know something about. Everything that leads up to suffering or faults in our thinking is because we don't entirely trust this inner subjective truths but need confirmation from outside. This statement is something that I think you sometimes try to make, the problem is that you sort of contradict yourself by trying making these words objective laws. Your statements often sound like "I am right and you are wrong". You said in another thread that you are here to help people, but the way you make your comments leads to people feeling that you are NOT trying to help. I think you have many good points, but you cannot use a posting style which sort of gives one the impression that you are the only one with a good point here, especially not if you want to help people.

For example, you said something to another member about him NOT being in love. I think your reasoning about what love is was quite interesting and you made some good points, but you made a mistake when telling a member you know nothing about that he was NOT in love.

Regarding all your views on piano technique, you also make some interesting points, but you tell them as if they are objective rules and that you are the only one right. It is hard to take you views on piano technique seriously though since you seem to refuse posting a recording of you own playing. Many members have done that, you have not, and since you say you have "effortless technique" I think plenty would be curious to see you demonstrate you views on technique through a video instead of written words, so that we know that we can take your words seriously. As it is now, you are just wasting your time when you make statements about piano technique since nobody know anything about your true knowledge. Sometimes one can almost get the impression that you are trolling(something which you often reminds us that you don't like when people do).

I agree.
It's all about the delivery and the attitude towards others.

Other people on the forum don't like some of the greatest of he 20th century but voicing that opinion with as much venom as you do causes a lot of argument and anger. These people idolize them and when told they suck (paraphrasing) it hurts them as a person just a little. My mom doesn't like Alkan, she voiced her opinion very strongly a while back. It caused a huge argument. I love my mom, and I love Alkan. In very different ways of course but if someone insulted my mother I would be very upset. So if someone insulted Alkan I would be very upset. Just like I stick up for a friend, I'm gonna stick up for my idols. I share quite a few with many people on this forum.
I'm sure if we all made a top 10 favorite pianists then many of us would have very similar lists.

That's really all it is, the delivery.

Also if you would post a video or a recording that would be fantabulous
Just here to lurk and cringe at my old posts now.

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 03:47:14 PM
I agree.
It's all about the delivery and the attitude towards others.

Other people on the forum don't like some of the greatest of he 20th century but voicing that opinion with as much venom as you do causes a lot of argument and anger. These people idolize them and when told they suck (paraphrasing) it hurts them as a person just a little.

Still, if somebody posts something on a forum that is open for opinion, he should also be open for opinion himself. And if people make a comment that 'Alkan sucks', 'you're 18 and dont love your girlfriend' or insinuate that he's a ridiculous American capitalist, well...... its the internet. If things get out of hand, people get kicked.

But oh well, i suppose its never a bad thing that people get reminded now and then that its important -how- they deliver their message ;)
1+1=11

Offline cabbynum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 04:05:26 PM
Still, if somebody posts something on a forum that is open for opinion, he should also be open for opinion himself. And if people make a comment that 'Alkan sucks', 'you're 18 and dont love your girlfriend' or insinuate that he's a ridiculous American capitalist, well...... its the internet. If things get out of hand, people get kicked.

But oh well, i suppose its never a bad thing that people get reminded now and then that its important -how- they deliver their message ;)

Oh no I understand all of that and I do respect others opinion about composers. I for one really don't care for Schumanns piano music. My teacher loves it. I love alkan, she doesn't.
It's all good, I just don't like harsh comments at it. But you're right it's the internet. I should be glad it's this civil! Haha

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 04:05:56 PM
My mom doesn't like Alkan, she voiced her opinion very strongly a while back. It caused a huge argument. I love my mom, and I love Alkan. In very different ways of course but if someone insulted my mother I would be very upset. So if someone insulted Alkan I would be very upset. Just like I stick up for a friend, I'm gonna stick up for my idols.

Funny, I had nearly the exact same incident with my mother regarding Medtner!

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 04:55:34 PM
Funny, I had nearly the exact same incident with my mother regarding Medtner!

The hidden treasure of piano music. God, just listening to his sonatas make my blood boil, he's what you call a *** genius.

Oh and Faulty, just one video. Plz bby plz

Offline cabbynum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 05:11:16 PM
The hidden treasure of piano music. God, just listening to his sonatas make my blood boil, he's what you call a *** genius.

Oh and Faulty, just one video. Plz bby plz

Wait what's being starred out? A damn genius? A ass genius? A what genius?

Awesom I guess mothers can't love EVERYTHING we do haha!

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: May 07, 2014, 05:27:48 PM
Medtner was a true genius. I have only studied his 1st Sonata, and four or five of the Skazki, but I'm hoping to do more in the future.

I sometimes feel as though Medtner contains the genius of all of the genius pianist-composers who came before him. The counterpoint of Bach. The perfection of Mozart. The architecture of Beethoven. The melting lyricism of Chopin. The savage virtuosity of Liszt. And the heart-wrenching melancholy of his dear friend, Rachmaninoff.

Unfortunately, his music requires the utmost in terms of pianistic resources. Monstrous technique and musical understanding. Hence so few manage to play it!

One of my very favourite Tales, played by the incomparable master, Horowitz (I like this recording even more than the composer's own). Every time I play it, I am brought to tears by its perfection of form and beauty of spirit.

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 05:28:30 PM
I do not change the way I write on any other forums.  This is how I write normally: straight and to the point.  This is also how I communicate in real life, though I must be cautious of offending those of the more sensitive nature.  I do not make insincere platitudes because that would not be truthful and is a waste of energy to do so.  I do not smile politely but only do so if that is what I truly feel.  I do not want people to like me by sucking up to them.  That's what you do with straws.

Many of you think online forums such as Piano Forum is a place to socialize.  Maybe that's the new generation with all the texting gizmos that it transfers over onto other written/read contexts. So when you read posts that do not conform to that trend, you view it negatively. (Most of you who attack me are pretty young/inexperienced with life.)  That's your prerogative to do so but I will not change the way I write in a manner that is less direct and clear.

Offline pianoman53

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: May 07, 2014, 05:46:27 PM
Faulty, you clearly don't get it. I don't care if you think Horowitz and Yuja wang have terrible technique. It's no one business but yours. The problem is that you look down on people who asks about what to ground your ideas on. You have yet to provide an argument, that's not "Because it looks strange". It's like your asking people to make fun of you.

If you get into an argument with your mum because she has a different opinion than you, then you clearly have some problem.

I'm quite sure that no one here gets offended if you say that Rachmaninov was a bad pianist. Clearly, he does great without your support, and could probably not care less about you.
Though, don't think that any of us will treat you with respect if you can't treat us with respect.

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: May 07, 2014, 05:54:21 PM
 That's your prerogative to do so but I will not change the way I write in a manner that is less direct and clear.

Hmm.

Do you know of anyone here who is capable of writing "direct and clear," yet not being offensive?

Would that be a useful skill to develop?

Tim

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: May 07, 2014, 05:57:02 PM
Hmm.

Do you know of anyone here who is capable of writing "direct and clear," yet not being offensive?

This is a moot point.  I am being attacked because these specific members disagree with my opinions about some of their idols, like I insulted their mom.

Offline pianoman53

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: May 07, 2014, 06:14:28 PM
This is a moot point.  I am being attacked because these specific members disagree with my opinions about some of their idols, like I insulted their mom.
Nope, that's not it... By the way, say hi to your mum from me.

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: May 07, 2014, 06:49:23 PM
Hmm.

+1!
If you ever wish to earn any money from teaching whatsoever, you will NEED to develop this skill.

If you ever wish to earn any money from the concert stage, well, then there is quite an array of skills you'll need to develop.....  unless, of course, you already have those skills, in which case you wouldn't be so embarrassed to share them with us! It really is a friendly community, this place. And there are quite a few people here who really know their stuff!
 :)

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: May 07, 2014, 08:01:26 PM
I do not change the way I write on any other forums.  This is how I write normally: straight and to the point.  This is also how I communicate in real life, though I must be cautious of offending those of the more sensitive nature.  I do not make insincere platitudes because that would not be truthful and is a waste of energy to do so.  I do not smile politely but only do so if that is what I truly feel.  I do not want people to like me by sucking up to them.  That's what you do with straws.

Many of you think online forums such as Piano Forum is a place to socialize.  Maybe that's the new generation with all the texting gizmos that it transfers over onto other written/read contexts. So when you read posts that do not conform to that trend, you view it negatively. (Most of you who attack me are pretty young/inexperienced with life.)  That's your prerogative to do so but I will not change the way I write in a manner that is less direct and clear.

So basicly, you defend your own writing because you like being direct and clear, and you blame other people in this post for being direct and clear towards you?
1+1=11

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: May 07, 2014, 08:05:32 PM
So basicly, you defend your own writing because you like being direct and clear, and you blame other people in this post for being direct and clear towards you?

Making direct and indirect attacks are not acceptable behavior.

Offline pianoman53

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: May 07, 2014, 08:10:01 PM

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: May 07, 2014, 08:13:58 PM
Making direct and indirect attacks are not acceptable behavior.

What may be for you an attack, may be for someone else be an offer of opinion, and visa versa. So maybe you shouldnt take it all so personally.
1+1=11

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: May 07, 2014, 08:30:47 PM
What may be for you an attack, may be for someone else be an offer of opinion, and visa versa. So maybe you shouldnt take it all so personally.

Not when it's continuous and persistent, and the only reason the member posted was to make a derogatory or sarcastic comment about me that had nothing to do with the thread.  For example, pianoman53's posts.

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: May 07, 2014, 08:34:07 PM

I sometimes feel as though Medtner contains the genius of all of the genius pianist-composers who came before him. The counterpoint of Bach. The perfection of Mozart. The architecture of Beethoven. The melting lyricism of Chopin. The savage virtuosity of Liszt. And the heart-wrenching melancholy of his dear friend, Rachmaninoff.

If someone asked my favorite thing about Medtner, it would be his genius in structure and forms. Oh god, his sonatas are so structurally perfect, and I cannot stress this enough. I can listen to one sonata for 300 times in one day and each time I'd find something new in it. I'm really in love with Ginzburg's performance of his reminiscence Sonata, so beautiful. I think that's going to be the first Medtner sonata I will study, but like you said, his music is complex and so freakinnnnng difficult so I don't think that's going to happen soon.

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: May 07, 2014, 08:41:52 PM
Not when it's continuous and persistent, and the only reason the member posted was to make a derogatory or sarcastic comment about me that had nothing to do with the thread.  For example, pianoman53's posts.

Then act like an adult, ignore him. He'll loose his interest if you stop feeding him.
1+1=11

Offline pianoman53

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: May 07, 2014, 08:54:59 PM
Okay.

I'll explain why.
You keep saying things that are just wrong. To say that Rachmaninov was a terrible pianist is not right in any kind of way. Yet, you say he is. And your reason is "Because it looks different from my technique. I don't care about how it sounds, just how it looks like". That's clearly not a very clever comment, in any point of view.

I then make fun of you, and you create a whole thread about how people here are harassing you.

Bu-freaking-hu.

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: May 07, 2014, 09:04:00 PM
Okay.

I'll explain why.
You keep saying things that are just wrong. To say that Rachmaninov was a terrible pianist is not right in any kind of way. Yet, you say he is. And your reason is "Because it looks different from my technique. I don't care about how it sounds, just how it looks like". That's clearly not a very clever comment, in any point of view.

I then make fun of you, and you create a whole thread about how people here are harassing you.

Bu-freaking-hu.

'It's good to see how you boys are talking it over', my mother would have said!
1+1=11

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: May 07, 2014, 09:56:44 PM
Then act like an adult, ignore him. He'll loose his interest if you stop feeding him.

I'd rather he be banned or have administrative action taken because he's a forum troll.

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: May 08, 2014, 12:01:18 AM
I'd rather he be banned or have administrative action taken because he's a forum troll.

Maybe he'd rather YOU were banned for being the troll  ;) at least pianoman53 has posted many recordings of his playing in the past!

If you could even play half as well as he can (he plays very respectably!), I'm sure you wouldn't be so terrified of being heard in public!  :P

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: May 08, 2014, 12:17:49 AM
Maybe he'd rather YOU were banned for being the troll  ;) at least pianoman53 has posted many recordings of his playing in the past!

If you could even play half as well as he can (he plays very respectably!), I'm sure you wouldn't be so terrified of being heard in public!  :P

I wouldn't know if he posts recordings as I rarely visit that forum.  As for what you imply, that members should be banned unless they post videos/recordings, you really need to think about what you write because most of us would not be here.  Most of us are also not here to listen to other members play.  It's arrogant/narrow-minded of you to say that we should all perform to prove our stuff.  Most people don't do what they enjoy to please others, they do it for themselves.  Since all you do is plague the Audition room with "slow practice" and "no pedal", you should make that your sig.  All you do is use that forum to compare your own playing to that of others so of course that's what you think.  I do not think the way you do and have nothing to prove, either to you or others.

"Fame is this generations black plague."  ~ Rat Billings

Offline cabbynum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: May 08, 2014, 12:47:01 AM
I wouldn't know if he posts recordings as I rarely visit that forum.  As for what you imply, that members should be banned unless they post videos/recordings, you really need to think about what you write because most of us would not be here.  Most of us are also not here to listen to other members play.  It's arrogant/narrow-minded of you to say that we should all perform to prove our stuff.  Most people don't do what they enjoy to please others, they do it for themselves.  Since all you do is plague the Audition room with "slow practice" and "no pedal", you should make that your sig.  All you do is use that forum to compare your own playing to that of others so of course that's what you think.  I do not think the way you do and have nothing to prove, either to you or others.

"Fame is this generations black plague."  ~ Rat Billings

That's not what he does though, he has posted many performances and recordings of some terribly difficult works played extremely well. Check out the rach sonata, check out the Chopin sonata.
He plays for the music not for the point of showing off. Go listen to his op.25 no.11, sure he could fly through it at breakneck pace but e doesn't. He brings out the beauty in every note then he turns and helps others to do this when he doesn't have to. This isn't arrogant, I'd say he is being a good person by doing this.
He has offered me much advice on my piano skills and what I bed to work on. He does so in a very friendly manner.
Arrogant and narrow minded don't ever come to mind when awesom is brought up. He is an extremely talented pianist who knows what to look for and offers constructive criticism.

Yes slow practice and no pedal are brought up often. But he's right, it may not be the first time pianist X has heard it but hearing it from multiple people makes you really take it more to the keyboard.

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: May 08, 2014, 01:36:27 AM
That's not the context in which I made my statements.  I said that it's arrogant and narrow-minded to assume that everyone who plays the piano is doing so to outperform one another and to show off.  That's just not the case and it's definitely not the case with me.  I've never even thought of recording and posting them for all the years I've been a member until they continually badgered me about it.  I don't even have recording equipment.

Slow practice and no pedal is the default advice when the issue has nothing to do with it.  E.g. chords that aren't in unison is not an issue of slow practice or pedaling, it's probably an issue of correct hand slant or inappropriate finger tension.  Slow practice may eventually allow the person to figure this out on his/her own but that's just another way of saying, "more practice", and it doesn't guarantee that s/he will figure it out anytime soon.

YouTube makes people think that everyone can be a star.

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: May 08, 2014, 01:46:52 AM
The problem with you, Faulty, is that you think about playing in terms of hand slant, wrist angle, and inappropriate tension.

You never mention anything about music whatsoever, in all likelihood because you don't understand anything about it!  ;)

You are very interested in the PHYSICAL act of "playing", and not in the music itself.

So instead of sharing your music-making with the community, you trash-talk great pianists, like Horowitz and Rachmaninoff.

It kind of makes us all wonder... do you even make music?

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: May 08, 2014, 01:52:37 AM
It is assumed that making music is the goal thus it needs not be mentioned.  Technique is what allows that to be achieved, either easily or with great effort.  It is up to the pianist to decide if s/he wants it the effortless way or the struggling way.

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #37 on: May 08, 2014, 01:55:50 AM
It is assumed that making music is the goal thus it needs not be mentioned.

Really?....I think you could have fooled most of us, from the way you talk around here about musicians like Horowitz and Rachmaninoff!

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #38 on: May 08, 2014, 03:09:37 AM
You worship those pianists as idols so you cannot be objective.  If anyone today sounded that way, they would be viewed negatively.  If you try to be objective, perhaps you'll see what I see and come to the same conclusions.

Offline dima_76557

• PS Silver Member
Reply #39 on: May 08, 2014, 03:36:20 AM
will not change the way I write in a manner that is less direct and clear.

You often offend people with blunt statements about a culture that is not your own; so blunt sometimes that if I made similar statements in the country you come from about their native culture, I wouldn't last for 5 minutes without a knife in my back. You are free to think whatever you like, but making all the others (including some very respectable historical figures) look like fools is not a wise thing to do if you want to avoid being "harassed".

I go against the stream here often enough with non-standard opinions, but I am not harassed by anyone. Think about it. If you are not ready to adapt to the forum culture, then continue what you were doing, but please stop whining about the consequences of your own actions. Just saying. Peace.
No amount of how-to information is going to work if you have the wrong mindset, the wrong guiding philosophies. Avoid losers like the plague, and gather with and learn from winners only.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #40 on: May 08, 2014, 04:47:35 AM
You worship those pianists as idols so you cannot be objective.  

I guess I have a more objective view, since neither of those pianists are among my favorites and while I own plenty of recordings of them I don't care to listen to them that often. But it's a matter of taste, not a matter of lack of technique. And even if someone would trash my favorite pianists, I really do not mind. What I hear in their playing, maybe someone just doesn't. I am ok with that.

Even though I am not so fond of their playing, I still find your claims about their lack of technical proficiency unfounded and poorly  justified. And since one of your main arguments is that YOU do possess a technic better than theirs, you made it all about you. It's impossible to go on with the discussion without bringing your person into it. If you wanted to keep it on a general level you would have presented facts and evidence about this good technique. Not necessarily recordings of yourself, but at least a reasonable analysis on how it differs from those pianists mentioned, maybe recorded examples of good and bad technique and explanations on how they differ. Since you don't, some people just see you as a clown or maybe even a troll and treat you with sarcasm, which you see as harrassment.

Your argumentation is sometimes quite weak on other subjects too, not just piano playing. You do not even comment on facts presented that challenge your arguments. The selective way you use research to back up arguments is similar to what is done in politics and propaganda work, not the way it is done in scientific discourse, which is how the research is actually meant to be treated. To me personally it seems immature and  suggests that your understanding of the subject is on a rather superficial level. Call this harrassment if you like (whatever it is, it's only directed to the image you have created of ourself here, not to a real life person). IMO I am just being direct and clear, which is how I communicate. Not just anonymously on the internet, but in real life too. Somehow I usually manage to do it without offending people. I think most people are able to appreciate directness, when they see there's no ill will.  

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #41 on: May 08, 2014, 09:55:41 AM
you cannot be objective.  

On the contrary. My musical objectivity is why hundreds of people here have sent me messages asking for help on interpretive matters. Nobody asks you to do anything but shut up.

When I started a thread about building technique, it got more than 50 replies and over 2200 views in a short time.

When you started a thread about building technique (something about how to play faulty octaves?;) ), nobody replied, because nobody cared.  ;D

Offline iancollett6

• PS Silver Member
Reply #42 on: May 08, 2014, 10:28:48 AM
I think this is really funny! I only visit this site every now and then, but even I have picked up that this Faulty_Damper dude is extremely offensive. He is like the John Mcenroe of classical piano forums.
 A serious pain in the A##E , but if viewed in hindsight, possibly 25 years from now, he would be described as a "character".
"War is terrorism by the rich and terrorism is war by the poor." Peter Ustinov

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #43 on: May 08, 2014, 11:07:12 AM
That's not the context in which I made my statements.  I said that it's arrogant and narrow-minded to assume that everyone who plays the piano is doing so to outperform one another and to show off.  That's just not the case and it's definitely not the case with me.  I've never even thought of recording and posting them for all the years I've been a member until they continually badgered me about it.  I don't even have recording equipment.

YouTube makes people think that everyone can be a star.

First, you don't need anything expensive. Just a phone or a webcam is enough, I just want to hear you play.

Second, I'm not talking about out-performing others or becoming a star, I just want to hear you play. That's what we all want, we just want to hear you play. I cannot stress this enough, we just want to hear your playing. End of story.

Offline beebert

• PS Silver Member
Reply #44 on: May 08, 2014, 11:24:08 AM
Faulty, we all want to hear and see you play. We certainly do not Believe you when you say you don't have a recording advice. If you have a cell phone you do have something to record with. If the sound quality is bad, fair enough,  it doesn't matter: All we want to know is that you can play the piano.  As it is right now,  I doubt that you can play at all and you will remain being considered a troll until you have proven us wrong by posting a recording. So, if you don't send us a recording,  I recommend that you stop wasting your own time by posting comments and giving tips about technique that nobody takes seriously. If you want to help people as you say, then show us that we can take your words as something else than trolling.

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #45 on: May 08, 2014, 09:05:15 PM
The proof is in the pudding.

I had a well-known concert pianist for a teacher once.  He was admired not just by many of the piano students but also by some of the piano staff (in-fighting aside.)  Whenever he held a concert, they would all go because he was such a marvelous performer.  Many of my classmates wanted to take lessons from him because they wanted to be able to play like him.  But on the contrary, since I was his student, I would never have recommended him (kicking me out of his studio, aside.)  But it seemed that everyone was so enchanted by him that they overlooked the necessary qualifications of a good teacher: their own outcomes.  None of his students improved significantly over the course of their studies and many of his students came out with piano-related injuries.  As good as a performer he was on stage, in a lesson, he just didn't have the knowledge to teach.  They were all so blissfully ignorant just to say that they were his student.

The point is that I could be a concert pianist but that doesn't guarantee that I would be able to transfer my knowledge to my students.  I could be a competition winner, but that still doesn't mean I'm a good teacher.  A good teacher should be able to bring about drastic changes and improvements over a short time.  A bad one may bring about changes over a long time, and sometimes, those changes can be damaging.

For any of you who thinks "slow practice" and "no pedal" is good enough instruction, then follow it.  I'll even offer you that advice for free.  Don't be fooled by anyone who happens to be performer, even ones you admire with big names.  Performing and teaching are two entirely different skill-sets that simply don't transfer to one another.

Buyer beware - the proof is in the pudding

Online brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Reply #46 on: May 08, 2014, 10:32:21 PM
The proof is in the pudding.

The point is that I could be a concert pianist but that doesn't guarantee that I would be able to transfer my knowledge to my students.  I could be a competition winner, but that still doesn't mean I'm a good teacher.  A good teacher should be able to bring about drastic changes and improvements over a short time.  A bad one may bring about changes over a long time, and sometimes, those changes can be damaging.
Buyer beware - the proof is in the pudding

It is certainly true that one could be a great performer and a lousy teacher. The question is whether one could be a lousy performer and yet be a good teacher. If someone's technique does not produce a beautiful sound, I'm unlikely to trust their teaching. I don't doubt that one can learn good technique from someone who is not a world class performer, but I'd hesitate to study with someone who could not perform at all, or who was afraid to post a recording. You could end this whole line of discussion simply by posting a good recording of a moderately difficult piece. Not a brilliant, "what a genius!" level recording of Ondine, just a decent, competent recording of a Beethoven sonata or Brahms Intermezzo or Chopin Nocturne or Bach fugue.

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #47 on: May 08, 2014, 10:40:26 PM
I could do that, but I'd rather not.  I'm not in any way a showoff and don't want to put myself under that kind of spotlight.  There is baggage accompanying this, and it has nothing to do with PF but my experiences in life.

Also, this thread isn't even about posting videos, it's about certain members who make harassing comments because they don't like what they hear.  How would you like to be harassed because someone doesn't like your opinion?  This isn't communist China or Nazi Germany and yet some members act like it is and wield the iron hammer.  You can criticize what is said, but you shouldn't attack the person saying it.

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #48 on: May 09, 2014, 12:07:30 AM
I could do that, but I'd rather not. 

Afraid of a little constructive criticism, are we?  ;)

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #49 on: May 09, 2014, 12:31:53 AM
Afraid of a little constructive criticism, are we?  ;)

No, I'm more critical of myself than anyone else can ever be.

Out of curiosity, do you really sit that low?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert