Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Practicing chromatic scales, why is it important?  (Read 6210 times)

Offline ashtonm

• PS Silver Member
I'm curious to what the benefits are, and which problems will be less troublesome by practicing them. I Googled it but only get results regarding major/minor scales, and chromatic fingering.

Regards,

Ashton

Offline indianajo

• PS Silver Member
Re: Practicing chromatic scales, why is it important?
Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 11:16:17 PM
This question belongs in the student area.
Chromatic scales are physically difficult, and occur in many famous pieces.  The Gnome, which I am practicing now, has some.  The many crossovers in a chromatic scale give one fine motor control over the small muscles residing on the tendons. 

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 01:37:00 AM
1) musical reasons
2) technical reasons

There are many pieces which include chromatic scales that should be performed musically.  Usually, ascending scales increase in dynamics; descending ones decrease in dynamics.

Technically, you learn how to play them.  If you learn to align the apparatus correctly as you depress each key, it is very simple to learn.  If you use just the fingers, it becomes very difficult and requires extensive amounts of practice to condition the muscles.  It's better to do the former rather than the latter.

Offline ashtonm

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 02:26:23 AM
Chromatic scales are physically difficult, and occur in many famous pieces.  The Gnome, which I am practicing now, has some.  The many crossovers in a chromatic scale give one fine motor control over the small muscles residing on the tendons. 
I assumed that initially, until I skimmed threads such as "How vital is understanding chords?" and there were no issues. Mods, feel free to move this if it's appropriate.

Interesting, do you think that improvement in control is also beneficial for pieces that don't contain chromatic scales?

1) musical reasons
2) technical reasons

There are many pieces which include chromatic scales that should be performed musically.  Usually, ascending scales increase in dynamics; descending ones decrease in dynamics.

Technically, you learn how to play them.  If you learn to align the apparatus correctly as you depress each key, it is very simple to learn.  If you use just the fingers, it becomes very difficult and requires extensive amounts of practice to condition the muscles.  It's better to do the former rather than the latter.
Thanks for the tip! I've been applying material from Ortmann, Fink, Fraser, etc. That will be useful.

Ashton

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 03:43:49 AM
I'd beware of the kinds of things promoted in those technique books.  It's better to think of each of them as a technical school rather than one whose aim is a genuinely effortless technique.  You can go through each book and still not achieve it.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 04:00:05 AM

;D ;D ;D

I'm surprised at you... *Bob shakes his head.*
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline indianajo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 12:19:15 PM
Interesting, do you think that improvement in control is also beneficial for pieces that don't contain chromatic scales?
Fine motor control has benefit in the crossovers of other scales and runs.  It also provides benefit in other areas of life, like assembly and repair and crafts.  Few people achieve the sort of control over the fingers and hands one can gain with piano training.  
I'm practicing a JS Bach piece where the best fingering on one run includes consecutive finger crossovers IMHO. The teacher suggested I help by inserting the other hand, but on organ one can tell from the records, the artists are doing that run all on the same manual (sound).  All those years of practice of a purely physical skill pays off in the end.   It is a tonic run, not a chromatic one, but my fingers don't get very tired because of all the practice of those muscles.  Yeah, faulty_d  it is not all fingers, you have to rotate the wrist a little to be fastest at this skill.  But when you are trying to thread a nut on a bolt behind an opaque bulkhead upside down or sideways with the wrist twisted to align, the movement is all fingers. That is a skill I can do due to fine control, the other techs on my shift could not. 

Offline ashtonm

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 08:47:43 PM
Fine motor control has benefit in the crossovers of other scales and runs.  It also provides benefit in other areas of life, like assembly and repair and crafts.  Few people achieve the sort of control over the fingers and hands one can gain with piano training.  
I'm practicing a JS Bach piece where the best fingering on one run includes consecutive finger crossovers IMHO. The teacher suggested I help by inserting the other hand, but on organ one can tell from the records, the artists are doing that run all on the same manual (sound).  All those years of practice of a purely physical skill pays off in the end.   It is a tonic run, not a chromatic one, but my fingers don't get very tired because of all the practice of those muscles.  Yeah, faulty_d  it is not all fingers, you have to rotate the wrist a little to be fastest at this skill.  But when you are trying to thread a nut on a bolt behind an opaque bulkhead upside down or sideways with the wrist twisted to align, the movement is all fingers. That is a skill I can do due to fine control, the other techs on my shift could not. 
That makes sense. I'll give it a go, thanks for the insight.

Ashton

Offline greglloydmusic

Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 10:11:17 AM
Hi Aston,

For me chromatic scales help get you in between the white and black notes. They make the piano feel like one scale. Not key of G, Key of D, E...etc..

A good exercise I do is 5 notes up: C Db D Eb E  then Eb D Db then go back up: Db D Eb E F  etc.
                                                 1  2  3 4  5          3  2  1                           1  2  3  4 5

Try this out 'VERY SLOWLY' continuing up the piano an octave or 2 and after a while for me the Black notes became as easy as the White notes to play.

Greg
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert