Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin's Heroic Polonaise - RH Trills in Bar 33, 34, 37, 38 etc.  (Read 2622 times)

Offline oswalds

Hello! :)

I'm learning the Heroic Polonaise by Chopin. So far I have been playing the trills in bars 33, 34, 37, and 38 by playing the acciaccatura (harmony note) and then beginning the trill on the same note. At the moment this means that the trill then starts on the same note as the LH octave.

E.g. Eb Eb F Eb F Eb D Eb Ab

Having issues with the reliability of my trill I have been practising them and just noticed I could possibly begin the trill (after the acciaccatura) on the note *above* the harmony note which would cut out one note from the trill and also add an arguably pleasing discord against the LH octave.

E.g. Eb F Eb F Eb D Eb Ab

Does anyone have any opinions or information on which way you think sounds better or is more historically/traditionally correct? My ears probably not fast enough to hear it in the recording..!

I have a lesson coming up but not for a while and I think it's cheeky to ask my teacher this kind of thing by message especially as we don't often have lessons!

Thanks in advance!  ::)

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
You just made a mistake in interpreting how to trill in Chopin's notation.  When he wrote a trill, it is to be performed on the auxiliary note (unless specified differently by further notation.)  In this case, since he indicated an Eb before the trill, you play but Eb-F.

Offline oswalds

Thank you.
Do you mean the second option is correct?
I'm playing from the Paderewski edition and I can see the fingering says 132.

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Yes.

Offline oswalds

Ok thank you.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert