Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Dilemma: Yamaha YUS5 or Kawai K800  (Read 17584 times)

Offline lstan

Dilemma: Yamaha YUS5 or Kawai K800
on: June 03, 2014, 03:41:24 AM
Hi. New to this forum, but probably asking an age old question of Yamaha vs. Kawai.

For this particular dilemma: it is between the YUS5 and K800.

The Kawai dealer did not have a K800 on stock, but played a K3. And as mentioned by various forums, the K3 sounded warmer. "Let It Go" sounded hauntingly beautiful.

The Yamaha dealer had a YUS5 on stock. Also tried a refurbished U3. Same song.

The U3 really sounded bright as other people reported / discussed. "Let It Go" sounded Disney. Sorry, didn't know how else to describe it. Ok, I guess bright and happy.

The YUS5 "seemed" to have a more balanced tone between the U3 and the K800. Also, the keys "seemed" more responsive - but I'm not sure if this was just psychological.

Price: the YUS5 being "only" USD222 more expensive than the K800.

Should I go ahead with the YUS5, or wait for the K800?

Comments, suggestions, inputs highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Re: Dilemma: Yamaha YUS5 or Kawai K800
Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 08:30:38 PM
The question has come up before, but that's OK.  So has the answer: pick the one which you like the feel and sound of best.  Some folks like one, some the other, some a completely different make.  It's your piano, and your choice!
Ian

Offline lstan

Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 09:44:18 AM
Thanks iansinclair.

I think I just needed to hear that from somebody else asides from my conscience. hahaha

The question has come up before, but that's OK.  So has the answer: pick the one which you like the feel and sound of best.  Some folks like one, some the other, some a completely different make.  It's your piano, and your choice!

Offline iancollett6

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 02:37:06 PM
 I bought a YUS1 at the end of 2012 and since then I havent played a piano that I like more than my own!..I just love it!..
 I know this comment probably doesnt help you but I just wanted to express my love for my Yamaha!! ;D
"War is terrorism by the rich and terrorism is war by the poor." Peter Ustinov
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert