Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Can you identify this piano?  (Read 1314 times)

Offline walktalk

Can you identify this piano?
on: June 07, 2014, 04:36:00 PM
Hi!

I'm new to the forum, and a complete novice in all manners piano. I have 2 questions:

1. What are these side pieces found on some antique upright pianos called?

2. Can you identify which piano the ones that I have are from? Any hints at all would be helpful.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Offline silverwoodpianos

Re: Can you identify this piano?
Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 02:42:37 PM

Here in Canada we call those pilasters.

They might have a number on the back, either 4 or 5 digit that would be a cabinet code number.

This number is so the parts do not get mixed up in the factory setting.

Unless that number can be matched to the same cabinet code of a piano it would not be possible to tell which one they came from.

Because of the edge and length these pilasters will only fit a particular cabinet design.
Dan Silverwood
 www.silverwoodpianos.com
https://silverwoodpianos.blogspot.com/

If you think it's is expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Offline walktalk

Re: Can you identify this piano?
Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 04:50:32 PM
Thanks so much for your help! The number "32" is carved into the backs of both pieces. Do you have any guidance for where I could turn next to find the age or brand?

Thanks in advance. :)

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert