Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Anyone know of software that will put in passwords for you?  (Read 1304 times)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
I'm sick of these targeted ads.  I want to set my browser to delete everything -- temp files, cookies, all that -- every time I close it.  That's doable. 

I don't really want to bother with making exceptions.  I just want everything cleared out.

But then I have to put passwords back in.  Is there a program that would do that for me?  I click on the site and could just click a button and it logs me in?
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline dima_76557

• PS Silver Member
Re: Anyone know of software that will put in passwords for you?
Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 03:49:49 PM
Lastpass and Keepass are both free and quite good.
P.S.: Here is a comparison of both:
https://www.maximumpc.com/lastpass_vs_keepass_2013
No amount of how-to information is going to work if you have the wrong mindset, the wrong guiding philosophies. Avoid losers like the plague, and gather with and learn from winners only.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 05:51:28 PM
That's what I was thinking of.  Anyone using those?

Offline senanserat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 06:06:44 AM
From a Abstract Data Type view,resource comparison doing multiple tests and a Big O algorithm analysis we have found that the Lastpass one requires fewer manual input but that the Keepass is 6.5% faster.

Here is a further simplified formula:

(O(f(n)))
Hex 01f4a5 data input variables vs Hex 12d46a O(1) -O(1)
Patterns and presets iterations per second 40/s vs 38/s O(40*X)-O(38*Y)
Bulk of output 55Kb vs 70Kb taking stardard R.I.M O(55*N) - O(70*M)

Finally we have O(N*X) vs O(M*Y)

As you can see the results are pretty similar in the real of algorithmic analysis so in the end the choice is yours as both run at similar speed.
"The thousand years of raindrops summoned by my song are my tears, the thunder that strikes the earth is my anger!"

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 04:55:51 PM
Regarding the targeted ads:  These are two browser plugins that I use:  Adblock Plus, and Disconnect.  Adblock Plus is effective on almost all online advertisement.  You can create custom filters for those stubborn ads that make it through.  Disconnect is for tracking.  An added bonus is social media integration is effectively removed from sites (if you switch on the appropriate settings), so no more annoying Facebook like buttons, or Twitter, or google+ crowding page content. 

You can use CCleaner to clear out your browser cookies.  It does support exclusion lists for cookies.  So you could add all the sites you wish to keep your settings.  A nice cleanout of all those ad related cookies is good once in a while. 

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline dima_76557

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 06:01:19 PM
You can use CCleaner to clear out your browser cookies. 

And not only browser cookies. ;) 3 comments about CCleaner:

1) If you choose to install, pick the "slim" version (no funny toolbars and stuff) from here: https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

2) If you launch the program "as Admininstrator", certain system folders + the built-in "Administrator" browser profile(s) will be cleaned out, but not your own!

3) Windows 8 does not allow the program to launch under a standard user account. Effectively this means, that you cannot clean out your own browser profile(s) as a standard user. This can be bypassed by downloading the Portable Version of the program (also on the page I gave the link to). This version of the program does not require admin rights to launch and do its useful job. If you have never cleaned your system/profile before, you can get up to 4-5 GB of free disk space! To clean out "Temporary Files" and other system folders, simply launch the program again "as Administrator".

P.S.: Browsers must be closed for CCleaner to work.
No amount of how-to information is going to work if you have the wrong mindset, the wrong guiding philosophies. Avoid losers like the plague, and gather with and learn from winners only.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 10:58:05 PM
I figured I'd just clear everything out -- temp files, cookies, everything.  The only catch is I have to put my password back in after that.  Unless I figure out which cookie goes with which site, but that's work, and there are these programs out there to assist.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 11:50:51 PM
The Lastpass one was appealing to my laziness.  Just add passwords to Lastpass on the fly while visiting a site?  That sounds easy.  Although not critical at all....

Will these let me just click a button on a browser and it puts the password in for me?  I can handle an extra mouse click.  I'd like to have everything cleared out automatically.  (I've got that down already.)  And then go to a website, click once to have the password in, but not have it automatically log me in.  If I click on Amazon, I might not want to bother with logging in and don't want it tracking me.

Offline azgrand

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 12:23:27 AM
I use Dashlane. Creates passwords for you, then gets you into your webpages. You first need to get into your webpage with your old password, then change your password. Dashlane creates one for you. It's free and for a limited time syncs to all your devices. After that  it's $20 some to continue  syncing for a year. If you don't need to sync, it's completely free.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 02:44:25 AM
The main security feature for LastPass and similar services is that one can have unique, long and complex passwords for every account they use the service for.  If someone does hack into one of your accounts, the other ones are not jeopardized.  With the amount of seemingly non-sensitive info people share about themselves on social media, it can be fairly easy to build an online profile of a person for the purposes of identity theft. 

When you are inputting sites into an exclusion list, you only do it once.  So in the long run, it is less work. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert