Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: How do we get people to listen to classical music  (Read 3368 times)

Offline xxhottie88xx

I studied piano performance in uni and I have stopped playing for a year or so, I felt like my music had hit a wall, my life had hit a wall so I took a backpack and I left home to another city. Now that I am much more calm at a new place I feel like we need a lot more audience among the younger generation. It is really sad that pop and spotify is totally taking over the classical music art form ... Maybe we can brainstorm here how do we get more young people to attend classical concerts? My photographer friend had recommended me that sex sells ... But our professors are totally against that ... What should we do???

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Re: How do we get people to listen to classical music
Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 03:54:42 AM
I studied piano performance in uni and I have stopped playing for a year or so, I felt like my music had hit a wall, my life had hit a wall so I took a backpack and I left home to another city. Now that I am much more calm at a new place I feel like we need a lot more audience among the younger generation. It is really sad that pop and spotify is totally taking over the classical music apart form ... Maybe we can brainstorm here how do we get more young people to attend classical concerts? My photographer friend had recommended me that sex sells ... But our professors are totally against that ... What should we do???

It is quite true that sex sells. So if your screen name is based on reality, maybe you can use that to your advantage. If your aim is to be a serious artists though, you might want to be more suddle and concentrate more on becoming better at what you do. But it never hurts to present an interesting personality and something original and new to the public.

I doubt young people will get into classical music simply by seeing more bare skin. They have enough of that available with more popular forms. I think musical education and giving children opportunities to try playing intruments themselves still is the best way to keep classical music alive.

Internet and things like spotify are actually just as good in promoting classical music as any other. My classical music consumption has gone up to the roof after it became possible to instantly get to almost any recording I wanted to hear.

Concerts on the other hand...I am not that young but I find the seriousness of them often just silly...And the way they are organized... I am supposed to sit still and be quiet and still I have to suffer all the coughs, noices and smells from other people :(

Offline xxhottie88xx

Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 04:14:00 AM
I was thinking of a real love story about two pianists fell in love but couldn't be together.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 04:27:16 AM
I was thinking of a real love story about two pianists fell in love but couldn't be together.

If you have ideas that you really believe in, you should go for it. You just need to find some connections and promote your ideas.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 04:49:28 AM
If you have ideas that you really believe in, you should go for it. You just need to find some connections and promote your ideas.

Isn't that the root cause of most of the troubles in the world throughout history?
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 05:04:56 AM
Isn't that the root cause of most of the troubles in the world throughout history?

Who wants a world without troubles? How boring is that? ::)

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 05:13:04 AM
Who wants a world without troubles? How boring is that? ::)

I'm sure people will be gladdened that their deaths, torture and other sufferings are keeping you from the inconvenience of tedium.  ::)
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 05:26:08 AM
I'm sure people will be gladdened that their deaths, torture and other sufferings are keeping you from the inconvenience of tedium.  ::)

Isn't suffering supposed to be where great art comes from? ;)

Imagine...24 happy and joyous preludes by F.Chopin...

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 05:41:58 AM
Imagine...24 happy and joyous preludes by F.Chopin...

I wish. Chopin could only do melodramatically melancholic or three year old temper tantrum.

Surprisingly few composers can convincingly do happy and joyous.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 05:58:13 AM
I wish. Chopin could only do melodramatically melancholic or three year old temper tantrum.

Surprisingly few composers can convincingly do happy and joyous.
Exactly! Because that's unnatural;)

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 06:11:47 AM
Exactly! Because that's unnatural;)

And may explain why people prefer pop.

And.....I get Bonus points for bringing thread full circle to being on topic.  ;D

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 06:31:56 AM
And may explain why people prefer pop.

And.....I get Bonus points for bringing thread full circle to being on topic.  ;D

True:)

I guess those people who prefer pop could be tricked to like composers like Mozart...The transition to good classical music might be easier to those who prefer something like metal...

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 06:51:46 AM
Do a concert full of computer game music and then stick in some classical pieces and force them to listen to it LOL :)
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline stevensk

Reply #13 on: June 20, 2014, 10:06:26 AM

Why is it important to get more young people to attend classical concerts?
I dont really care what other people listen to (as long as I dont have to listen to it) ::)

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: June 21, 2014, 11:13:56 AM

Why is it important to get more young people to attend classical concerts?
I dont really care what other people listen to (as long as I dont have to listen to it) ::)

Because not enough audience means no more concerts...and some people do like them. Besides we probably wouldn't have many world class pianists either if there were no performance opportunities.

Offline stevensk

Reply #15 on: June 21, 2014, 02:35:33 PM
Because not enough audience means no more concerts...and some people do like them. Besides we probably wouldn't have many world class pianists either if there were no performance opportunities.

Well, thats a good point.  On the other hand, then there isnt so many world class pianists to compete whith  ;)
More seriously, I dont think this problem is something to worry about. I think the interest for classical music is fluctuating through the decades.  For instance, its growing rapidly i China today.
-And by the way, whats wrong whith an older audience?  

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: June 21, 2014, 03:07:39 PM

-And by the way, whats wrong whith an older audience? 

Only that they will be dead and no longer attending concerts sooner...

Offline bronnestam

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: June 21, 2014, 03:53:38 PM

Internet and things like spotify are actually just as good in promoting classical music as any other. My classical music consumption has gone up to the roof after it became possible to instantly get to almost any recording I wanted to hear.

Concerts on the other hand...I am not that young but I find the seriousness of them often just silly...And the way they are organized... I am supposed to sit still and be quiet and still I have to suffer all the coughs, noices and smells from other people :(

I agree totally. The typical classical concert is stiff, upper class style, grave old men in tail coats, and one hundred unwritten rules about Correct Behaviour that scare even adult people off ... very much like a funeral, actually! And most of all, no contact between the performers and the audience.
Go to a good rock concert. The artists wave at the audience, sing with the audience, flirt with the audience, LOOK at the audience. They are creating a unique, live happening together with the audience. (I know, there are bad rock artists too ...) You sing, yell and dance.

I love classical concerts too. I love the music so much, and I also love the calm atmosphere, where you can sit comfortably in a chair and close your eyes if you like, where you don't have to worry for drunk people who try to knock you down, where you don't have to wear earplugs or leave the concert feeling like a wet sock coming right out of the washing machine. But sometimes I can think that it is way too stiff as well, and that the sucking up to the Big Artist is ridiculous. I think that the artists themselves can do a lot by having good contact with their audience (not just from stage), and by not nurturing some of the most annoying myths around classical performers. Like: "this is not for mortal people, you must be selected by the gods and start training from the age of 3 if you are going to succeed, and you must practice from dawn to midnight 365 days of the year and you must be totally ignorant of and uninterested in any kind of music written after 1950".

So it's not the contents that is wrong, it is the presentation. 

Offline stevensk

Reply #18 on: June 21, 2014, 05:59:43 PM
Only that they will be dead and no longer attending concerts sooner...

Well... yes but everyone will get older  (almost everyone)

Offline stevensk

Reply #19 on: June 21, 2014, 06:05:07 PM
"So it's not the contents that is wrong, it is the presentation"

-Very well said! (even if all those atonal, modern classical music is chasing away people)

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: June 21, 2014, 07:09:03 PM

Well... yes but everyone will get older  (almost everyone)

Of course, but do you think people will suddenly start consuming classical music just because they get older? If they won't get exposed to it when they are younger, most of them never will bother. 

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: June 22, 2014, 08:38:19 PM
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: June 22, 2014, 10:55:57 PM
For me personally, I am really not that interested in a "show" so much.  And my developing philosophy regarding performance and artistry in general is less about showing what or who a single person is ("this is who/what I am"), and more about enveloping/mirroring (all) that which exists within the moment, in the most authentic way possible ("this is who/what we are").  Of course I believe we are called to know ourselves, but this includes the All.  

I do find it interesting to watch the video that I posted above, and listen to Hahn-Bin speak (once- would I listen/watch again?  Maybe).  I don't know that I would be any more inclined to purchase a ticket to one of his concerts.  But, whether I agree with every point of his or not or feel super inspired by him or not, listening to him and watching his video at least helped me think more clearly about the subject, and I could say that is part of the point of art.
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline xxhottie88xx

Reply #23 on: June 24, 2014, 02:13:27 AM
It is quite true that sex sells. So if your screen name is based on reality, maybe you can use that to your advantage. If your aim is to be a serious artists though, you might want to be more suddle and concentrate more on becoming better at what you do. But it never hurts to present an interesting personality and something original and new to the public.

I doubt young people will get into classical music simply by seeing more bare skin. They have enough of that available with more popular forms. I think musical education and giving children opportunities to try playing intruments themselves still is the best way to keep classical music alive.

I do acknowledge that the piano art form is a reflection of a pianist's own spiritual journey that goes deeper and deeper into his's inner universe, and indeed the pianist needs to be humble and vulnerable in life. Though as a performer, presentation is the key, and visual presentation always comes before sound, that's why it is so much quicker to be attracted to pop in the beginning. Everyone went through that phase. Hahn-Bin is a violinist version of pianist Maxim Mrvika, they are both gothic-wannabe classical musicians. When I was 15 I loved that style and tried to dress the same way (-.-) but soon I figured that it is not healthy for me.

The dilemma comes when we start to care TOO MUCH about the audience and we start to lose the focus on the music... Usually Romantic or Impressionist music is much easier to like, a piece such as jeu d'eaux by Ravel or Liszt, you play it in front of a 5 year old boy, he could identify it within a minute that it is a piece about water and he gets excited. But if you give him Mozart he isn't able to say anything about it except it's a joyful piece. Simply because now that I'm much more older, I understand Mozart a lot better, some of his nuance and his philosophy that music should never be vulgar, but I'm still having trouble with Beethoven.

Why do we want people want to attend classical concerts instead of spotify? Because the virtual world can only bring us enjoyment to certain degree, and real comfort (com-fort, strong intensive force, producing physical ease) happens naturally when human being get together. If everyone can just be happy completely alone with an iPad, then human being will eventually become solitary animals instead of social animals.

Why do we want young people to attend? Because appreciation comes from understanding, music as controlled emotion requires a lot of emotional input from the performer thus it is OUR responsibility to spread something positive. I do not approve my next generation to grow up with mentally illed artists such as miley cyrus or crazy death metal musicians. We really do need this art form to spread good moral values.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: June 24, 2014, 02:59:29 AM
We really do need this art form to spread good moral values.

Wagner, Liszt, Beethoven, Chopin as a source of "good moral values"?   :o

You do need to read up some.

Offline xxhottie88xx

Reply #25 on: June 24, 2014, 03:44:55 AM
You're right. Not all of them.

Even though Liszt was such a womanizer, at the end of his life he became a religious man. That's where the bible verse come from. Wagner, as liszt's beloved son in law, promotes mostly drama, opera as a collective art form (not piano). He has a different aesthetic taste than the rest of the composers. Chopin doesn't like Liszt too much, thinks he's too flashy and refuses to attend his concerts, then he made a comment "simplicity is the key". There's always something good about each one of them. And I don't dare to comment on Beethoven because I don't understand his music too much yet...

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: June 24, 2014, 04:17:10 AM
You're right. Not all of them.

Even though Liszt was such a womanizer, at the end of his life he became a religious man. That's where the bible verse come from. Wagner, as liszt's beloved son in law, promotes mostly drama, opera as a collective art form (not piano). He has a different aesthetic taste than the rest of the composers. Chopin doesn't like Liszt too much, thinks he's too flashy and refuses to attend his concerts, then he made a comment "simplicity is the key". There's always something good about each one of them. And I don't dare to comment on Beethoven because I don't understand his music too much yet...

Liszt was a religious man throughout much of his womanising, and a morose drunkard during his late (more) religious years.

Wagner wrote piano music as well, and Liszt's view of him was much more complex than "beloved son in law"  (and not nearly as doting).  There's actually nothing good about him at all, apart from his music.

Chopin and Liszt were actually friends, close ones at times. Chopin had a habit of making snarky comments about everyone, and one needs to consider those in a broader context.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: June 24, 2014, 04:38:37 AM
If everyone can just be happy completely alone with an iPad, then human being will eventually become solitary animals instead of social animals.

The way people socialize is changing fast. For many the physical connection is getting less important, it's enough to be connected through some device. But they are still just as depended on their social network.

We really do need this art form to spread good moral values.

No thanks. Morality and art is a not a good combination.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: June 24, 2014, 05:04:23 AM
No thanks. Morality and art is a not a good combination.

I quite like social(ist) realism.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: June 24, 2014, 08:28:34 AM
I quite like social(ist) realism.

Me too, but I don't see it enhanced by morality but rather by idealism...

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: June 24, 2014, 10:45:24 AM
Start classical musical at the craddle and whip kids if they dont have their phones filled with it.
Long live the classical days!

But seriously, we dont have to 'make people listen classical music more'. People from the 70's and 80's are also still listening to classical music, and that wasnt exactly a classical era either. And blaming things like iTunes is a little silly, because it also makes classical music more accessable.

But still if classical music is truly at an end, we could always let the young female pianists play naked.

Gyzzz
1+1=11

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: June 24, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

But still if classical music is truly at an end, we could always let the young female pianists play naked.

Female only?  ::)

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: June 24, 2014, 01:01:15 PM
Female only?  ::)

Well i myself wouldnt go to a concert with naked guys....
1+1=11

theholygideons

Reply #33 on: June 24, 2014, 01:15:34 PM
well... if we taught music as a core subject like maths from the very start of schooling, otherwise let the plebs listen to Miley Cyrus and Katy Perry all they like. 

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: June 24, 2014, 01:58:08 PM
if we taught music as a core subject like maths from the very start of schooling

If we did this, then the world would be a better place for everyone! 

Sadly, the most powerful people are motivated more by greed than by altruism, and music remains on the sidelines as an optional, expensive luxury item.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: June 24, 2014, 02:10:44 PM
Well i myself wouldnt go to a concert with naked guys....

About half of the population wouldn't be that excited anout naked women...

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: June 24, 2014, 05:05:13 PM
My biggest walk-away from Hahn-Bin is:  "Wow, 10 years and counting with a well-matched teacher?  I wonder what that's like"  :P

Offline xxhottie88xx

Reply #37 on: June 25, 2014, 03:46:38 PM
Start classical musical at the craddle and whip kids if they dont have their phones filled with it.
Long live the classical days!

But seriously, we dont have to 'make people listen classical music more'. People from the 70's and 80's are also still listening to classical music, and that wasnt exactly a classical era either. And blaming things like iTunes is a little silly, because it also makes classical music more accessable.

Gyzzz

There's always a positive and a negative side of any event, more accessible means no more need to attend concert in person.

If we did this, then the world would be a better place for everyone! 

Sadly, the most powerful people are motivated more by greed than by altruism, and music remains on the sidelines as an optional, expensive luxury item.

Yes, this is the truth. Blame the music agents !!

Offline stevensk

Reply #38 on: June 25, 2014, 06:17:28 PM
  "we could always let the young female pianists play naked"

-These statements cold be one aspect why people avoid classical music.

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #39 on: June 25, 2014, 07:33:32 PM

eludes me.
1+1=11

Offline coda_colossale

• PS Silver Member
Reply #40 on: June 25, 2014, 08:11:27 PM

Well, there has not been any naked young female pianist around that I know (and I would sure have known had there been any), and people have been avoiding classical music ::)

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #41 on: June 25, 2014, 09:32:12 PM
Well, there has not been any naked young female pianist around that I know (and I would sure have known had there been any), and people have been avoiding classical music ::)

sounds like classical evidence to me that its a great idea.
1+1=11

Offline xxhottie88xx

Reply #42 on: June 25, 2014, 09:44:02 PM

Offline coda_colossale

• PS Silver Member
Reply #43 on: June 26, 2014, 01:15:25 AM
That's what I was talking about ;D Though a naked young female pianist playing a Scriabin Sonata still seems to be a better idea ;D

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #44 on: June 26, 2014, 03:44:50 AM
Though a naked young female pianist playing a Scriabin Sonata still seems to be a better idea ;D

That would certainly change the audition/examination processes...

Probably better to keep the clothes on and try to figure out other ways to attract audience...

Offline nanabush

• PS Silver Member
Reply #45 on: July 04, 2014, 03:50:45 PM
I feel like a lot of University music students have alienated themselves from the rest of music, period.  They become pretentious, claim that every other genre (even though Classical is an extremely loosely used term) is "Crap", and "No Merit".  I don't think there's a point in trying to force people to listen to classical music; these people likely find something similar in the music they listen to that draws them back to it, that perhaps a classical musician won't find.

What bugs me more, is that whenever I try to say something like "lighten up" or "each person can listen to what he or she pleases", someone will say "ya. They can listen to sh!t if they want to".

It is the arrogance and self-entitlement that goes along with the University music student that ruins this scene.  I finished my music degree in 2013, and although I learned an IMMENSE amount of valuable information, about technique, interpretation and context - the people in some of my classes made me want to bash my head against a brick wall.

One kid said he doesn't listen to rap because he doesn't do drugs, and he doesn't think listening to drug music is a good way to live his life...?!?!?  And the teacher didn't say anything.  I don't have rap music on my iPod, but I'm just trying to get the point across that classical musicians can be just as ignorant as musicians of any other genre.  The kid who said ALL rap is about drugs and what not, is just as stupid as someone who is saying that "all classical sounds the same and is boring".  Neither wants to give the latter style the benefit of the doubt, and neither is "above" the other.

Bleh.  It's disappointing that more people aren't given the opportunity to understand classical music beyond "it's a really nice sounding piece", and can't open a score and really see it and take it in for what it is, and we have to take that into account.  My family doesn't have a music education, and I can't expect them to enjoy listening to the entire set of Etude Tableaux, when I can't sit and listen to two full albums by a band I don't care for as much.
Interested in discussing:

-Prokofiev Toccata
-Scriabin Sonata 2

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #46 on: July 04, 2014, 05:07:05 PM
I wonder if more people listen to rap or to classical music. Is it really necessary that more people listen to classical music? Because we happen to enjoy it?
1+1=11

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #47 on: July 04, 2014, 08:33:18 PM
I feel like a lot of University music students have alienated themselves from the rest of music, period.  They become pretentious, claim that every other genre (even though Classical is an extremely loosely used term) is "Crap", and "No Merit".  I don't think there's a point in trying to force people to listen to classical music; these people likely find something similar in the music they listen to that draws them back to it, that perhaps a classical musician won't find.

What bugs me more, is that whenever I try to say something like "lighten up" or "each person can listen to what he or she pleases", someone will say "ya. They can listen to sh!t if they want to".

It is the arrogance and self-entitlement that goes along with the University music student that ruins this scene.  I finished my music degree in 2013, and although I learned an IMMENSE amount of valuable information, about technique, interpretation and context - the people in some of my classes made me want to bash my head against a brick wall.

One kid said he doesn't listen to rap because he doesn't do drugs, and he doesn't think listening to drug music is a good way to live his life...?!?!?  And the teacher didn't say anything.  I don't have rap music on my iPod, but I'm just trying to get the point across that classical musicians can be just as ignorant as musicians of any other genre.  The kid who said ALL rap is about drugs and what not, is just as stupid as someone who is saying that "all classical sounds the same and is boring".  Neither wants to give the latter style the benefit of the doubt, and neither is "above" the other.

Weird! I also finished my music degree recently, but I found that most of the kids in my year were all VERY interested in popular/contemporary styles of music in addition to their interest in 'classical' (which I agree is quite a loose term). One of my friends who was quite talented on the piano, albeit a late starter, actually gave up his degree midway through the course in order to pursue his career as an underground DJ!

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #48 on: July 04, 2014, 09:35:16 PM
I was just wondering what people actually are listening to.  I don't think the radio stations are the correct measurement.  Even online 'stations.'  Maybe everything -- purchases, downloads, etc.

And then is it really, "How to get people to listen to music that more than ___ years old?"  I've heard a lot of people shun pop music that's over ten years old. 

Put it in front of them.  Mass media.  A lot of people will take in whatever's there. 

Still thinking....
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #49 on: July 04, 2014, 10:53:18 PM
Wouldn't mind if we had some pretty naked booty girls playing Scriabin. Genius.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert