Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Petrof or Baldwin  (Read 6442 times)

Offline stargazer200529

Petrof or Baldwin
on: July 09, 2014, 06:03:15 PM
I am an intermediate level piano player. I am looking for a baby grand piano for my home. It will only be used for my practicing/playing. I grew up playing my mom's Krakauer upright and now that I am out on my own it's time for me to find my piano. I've played several dozen within my price range (15k).

I have it narrowed down to two.

A Baldwin L, 1988, 6'3". They are asking 14k for it. I had almost completely written off Baldwin as a possibility. Most that I played in my price range sounded very bland, nothing special. But this one had a very bright, loud sound. I am guessing due to the size. The touch was very easy. I liked it a lot, but something is keeping me from loving it. I don't know if it's the stigma I've put on the name since all the others I've tried weren't that nice.

or

A Petrof Model IV, 1990, 5'8". They are also asking 14k for it. The piano had a beautiful low tone, which I loved very much. The only concern I had was the heavy actuation. I didn't mind it much, but I am worried on some music it can make things very challenging.

What are your opinions on these two pianos. I don't have much knowledge in brands, I was basing my decision on sound, touch and look.

I appreciate your help!

Offline gvans

Re: Petrof or Baldwin
Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 11:18:17 PM
Both sound like nice instruments. I prefer a larger piano myself, that extra bit of bass length is really noticeable re the richness of the overtones. There are many people who swear by Baldwin, rachfan among them here on this forum. They're wonderful pianos.

Baldwins do project, and they can be pretty loud...especially one with the light action you describe. That may or may not be a problem, depending on where you place the instrument and who you live with.

The Petrof is a fine hand-made piano from Czech republic, hence the higher price and smaller size. I personally like a stiffer action for a practice piano.

I would play these pianos as much as you can and see if you fall in love. If you don't, I wouldn't rush. There are lots of instruments out there, and once you buy, it's done. Take your time and be patient, hard as that is to do with 15K burning a hole in your pocket.

Good luck!

Offline justharmony

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 11:32:07 PM
A couple of thoughts.  A bright loud sound and seemingly lighter action could mean that this instrument has been played a lot and could need some significant work in the near future.  Also, think about the space in which you have this instrument - is it a "bright" room that this instrument could overpower if the tone does not change, for example?

My experience of Petrofs is that they had a characteristically LIGHT touch.  That may differ with the era of Petrof, but this is one thing I loved about mine from the late nineties, so I kind of wonder why this one seemed so unusually heavy.  

My first step would be to have a trusted piano tech check out each instrument carefully.  Have you done this already?  If so, what did the tech say?  That could very well rule out one of them right off the bat.

If both instruments are being sold by the same place (piano gallery of some sort?) and you are really serious about purchasing one of the two instruments, I would ask them to prep/regulate them according to your taste.  That will give you a better idea about what each instrument is capable of.  14K is no small chunk of change, and I'd hope they'd be willing to help you in this way.  

My last thought is that you shouldn't buy any instrument that you don't love.  Period.  Doesn't matter what the reputation of the brand, etc.  Yes, you must consider the practical side of things, but ultimately it is your heart that must make the final decision (at least in my view).  You should love the instrument you play every day (especially for 14k!).

Good luck!

JH

Offline lazyfingers

Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 12:41:32 AM
I agree that with second hand pianos it is best to get a good technician to give you a fair and honest appraisal of the actions. That is however easier said than done.

If the Baldwin sounds bright and loud, it might be that the felt needs voicing. Over time, the felt gets hardened with repeated and continual play, especially from a proficient pianist with a firm touch. Might require nothing much more than just regulation which should occur every few years in any case. Or it might be something more sinister. I won't be necessarily put off by hard hammers if they can be fixed but if the action is overplayed or old, or repairs haven't been done properly, you will have a whole world of pain later. Like anything mechanical and subject to temperature/humidity variations, many unpleasant things could have happened to the action.

The same comments on the Petrof action being heavy. You can actually get a technician to measure the down/up weights of the keys. Most actions are between 48 to 50 grams - anything more is "heavy". But that is only part of the story of why the action might feel heavy. (The down weight shows when the keys start moving and not how much effort to push the keys all the way to the keybed).

Maybe you could take a look at the action yourself. Get the dealer to take the actions out for you to have a look at, would be the minimum you should do.

Best of luck.

Offline stargazer200529

Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 12:30:01 PM
Thank you everyone for the great responses! I will definitely go and play them both a few more times and have a technician look them over. If they can lighten the action on the Petrof, I think that would be the one I choose. I like the idea of taking a look at the action myself.

Thanks again! I'll keep you updated.

Offline stargazer200529

Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 04:02:23 PM
I found a rebuilt Steinway. It is a 1950 model S, rebuilt. They say all work was done with original Steinway parts. No work was needed to be done to the sound board. They are asking 14k.

Does anyone have any advice on buying a rebuilt Steinway? Anything I should be looking or asking specifically about what was done? Since it's significantly cheaper than a Steinway from Steinway, how much does the value or quality decrease with a rebuilt? I know that will depend on the work done, so what do I need to know to assess this?

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 05:35:05 PM
I found a rebuilt Steinway. It is a 1950 model S, rebuilt. They say all work was done with original Steinway parts. No work was needed to be done to the sound board. They are asking 14k.

Unless you really, really, really love it and have a certain space requirement, I'd personally pass on a Model S.  If you want Steinway, IMO the smallest size to consider would be the Model M.  Remember the Model S is 5'1, the Petrof and Baldwin you were comparing are around the 6' range.

If you are on a strict budget, you can get much more piano by not going the Steinway route.  Steinway tends to command $ on name alone.  I've seen junk Steinways sell for $10k, just because of the name.  These were pianos that would otherwise be hauled to the dump. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert