Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Declining audience size  (Read 2312 times)

Offline quaverraver

Declining audience size
on: July 20, 2014, 03:11:41 PM
I went to an excellent evening recital last Thursday in London. Romantic piano repertoire performed by Mark Bebington at St James Piccadilly. https://www.concert-diary.com/mobile#concert?id=649199620

There were only about 70 people in the audience. Only one person under 25 it seemed maybe less than 10 under the age of 40.
When one considers the talent and preparation, the beautiful venue, a Fazioli concert grand abd the quality of the compositions it seems a small tragedy that so many people are missing out and not supporting events like this.  The adjacent streets were thronged with thousands of young people drinking. At this rate is there a danger such recitals in one of the great capital cities on a summer evening will become a thing of the past?

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Re: Declining audience size
Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 05:37:39 PM
Stop worrying about people and just enjoy yourself. The less the better. No more coughing.

Offline bronnestam

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 09:50:51 PM
Well, sometimes I can feel that it is unfair. I go to a recital with a world class pianist who gives a dream performance, built on the skill that is only achieved by great talent and years and years of hard work and devotion. We all know that it is DIFFICULT to master piano playing ...
... and so there are plenty of empty seats in the room and through the windows you see other people passing by, people who have no idea what they are missing, and if they knew they would not give a d*mn.

The week after Justin Bieber or some other popular artist enters the city, and everything is upside down. The media talk and write about nothing else, girls camp on the pavement for one week in order to get a good place close to the stage and they scream, fight and faint and the mood is so hysterical that the star himself has to be disguised in a mask in order to sneak into his hotel without being ripped apart. And to meet him for a 30 seconds meet-and-greet (NO questions asked! Absolutely no questions! And just one picture!) you have to pay a fortune.

I cannot help thinking it is insane and unfair. But, on the other hand - I don't have to sleep on the pavement in order to get a good seat at a classical concert. Many artists, even the famous ones, are sometimes quite happy to meet their audience and have a friendly conversation after the concert. The audience is not fighting in order to get some attention from the Big Star, in fact most people seem to be there to listen to the music instead.

Well, it would be nice if the classical concerts did not die out due to lack of interest. I suppose they must be a bit more ... welcoming then. You know, they are often rather stiff events, where a lot of people, especially young ones, might feel very uncomfortable. Crossover events are ofter very nice, where different musical styles are combined in a mix of popular, contemporary music and classical masterpieces. Perhaps we should encourage them even more.

Maybe we just need a few more artists who dare to apply this kind of style:

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 01:29:55 AM
I went to an excellent evening recital last Thursday in London. Romantic piano repertoire performed by Mark Bebington at St James Piccadilly. https://www.concert-diary.com/mobile#concert?id=649199620

There were only about 70 people in the audience. Only one person under 25 it seemed maybe less than 10 under the age of 40.

Would you cough up 12 quid to see a cover band perform? Well, obviously you would, but most people wouldn't.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline gvans

Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 02:15:11 AM
Would you cough up 12 quid to see a cover band perform? Well, obviously you would, but most people wouldn't.

j, I think you're on to something here. Time to pull out some blank scores and start composing...
The challenge: to write music that is fresh, approachable, artistic, moving, emotional, and makes ya wanna dance.

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 03:09:17 AM

I love you. Real talk right here.

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 04:15:31 AM
j, I think you're on to something here. Time to pull out some blank scores and start composing...
The challenge: to write music that is fresh, approachable, artistic, moving, emotional, and makes ya wanna dance.

I couldn't agree more!

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 05:36:06 PM
An audience of 70 would be large for a Sorabji concert and there would be nobody under 80.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline falala

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 05:51:42 PM
An audience of 70 would be large for a Sorabji concert and there would be nobody. under 80.

FIFY.  :)

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 08:29:06 PM
Brilliant ;D
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline pianist1976

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 09:00:33 PM
Quote from: thalbergmad on Today at 05:36:06 PM
An audience of 70 would be large for a Sorabji concert and there would be nobody. under 80.

FIFY.  :)

LOL   :D

Offline xxhottie88xx

Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 07:41:11 PM
It's not just in London, it's also like this in Montreal, San Francisco, Toronto or anywhere except Asia :'(

The good news is I accidentally found www.groupmuse.com a Boston based start-up that organize classical chamber music parties. Currently they are only in the US, but we should bring them all over the world :)

Offline xxhottie88xx

Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 07:47:39 PM
Well, sometimes I can feel that it is unfair. I go to a recital with a world class pianist who gives a dream performance, built on the skill that is only achieved by great talent and years and years of hard work and devotion. We all know that it is DIFFICULT to master piano playing ...
... and so there are plenty of empty seats in the room and through the windows you see other people passing by, people who have no idea what they are missing, and if they knew they would not give a d*mn.

The week after Justin Bieber or some other popular artist enters the city, and everything is upside down. The media talk and write about nothing else, girls camp on the pavement for one week in order to get a good place close to the stage and they scream, fight and faint and the mood is so hysterical that the star himself has to be disguised in a mask in order to sneak into his hotel without being ripped apart. And to meet him for a 30 seconds meet-and-greet (NO questions asked! Absolutely no questions! And just one picture!) you have to pay a fortune.

I cannot help thinking it is insane and unfair. But, on the other hand - I don't have to sleep on the pavement in order to get a good seat at a classical concert. Many artists, even the famous ones, are sometimes quite happy to meet their audience and have a friendly conversation after the concert. The audience is not fighting in order to get some attention from the Big Star, in fact most people seem to be there to listen to the music instead.

Well, it would be nice if the classical concerts did not die out due to lack of interest. I suppose they must be a bit more ... welcoming then. You know, they are often rather stiff events, where a lot of people, especially young ones, might feel very uncomfortable. Crossover events are ofter very nice, where different musical styles are combined in a mix of popular, contemporary music and classical masterpieces. Perhaps we should encourage them even more.

Maybe we just need a few more artists who dare to apply this kind of style:

This guy only attracts little girls (age 5 to teenager).

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 01:13:08 AM

That analogy doesn't really work though because back in the days when classical music was at the center audiences went to hear other pianists than Liszt play Liszt, other pianists than Chopin play Chopin, and so on. Even if modern pianists started playing a lot of their own compositions (assuming those compositions were amazing masterpieces) it wouldn't be a big draw for the average youth.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 01:28:21 AM
That analogy doesn't really work though because back in the days when classical music was at the center audiences went to hear other pianists than Liszt play Liszt, other pianists than Chopin play Chopin, and so on. Even if modern pianists started playing a lot of their own compositions (assuming those compositions were amazing masterpieces) it wouldn't be a big draw for the average youth.

Back in the day, there were no recordings. So, no alternative. That is far from the case now.

If I want to hear the pieces on this particular programme, I can listen to them at home, in my jim jams, with a nice red and my feet up. Payed by the preferred interpreter of my choice. For free.

Why would I cough up 12 quid to have to dress up, catch a cab or find parking, go sit in stony silence in a draughty church, on an uncomfortable pew, surrounded by people showing all the symptoms of consumption, no escape, no drinkies, and all for a performance with no guarantee of quality?
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 01:52:48 AM
Back in the day, there were no recordings. So, no alternative. That is far from the case now.

If I want to hear the pieces on this particular programme, I can listen to them at home, in my jim jams, with a nice red and my feet up. Payed by the preferred interpreter of my choice. For free.

Why would I cough up 12 quid to have to dress up, catch a cab or find parking, go sit in stony silence in a draughty church, on an uncomfortable pew, surrounded by people showing all the symptoms of consumption, no escape, no drinkies, and all for a performance with no guarantee of quality?

These days it's tough to argue with this, I think, because the pendulum has swung to one side at the dawn of new technological advancements, which have given humans a greater sense of freedom to experience oneself "authentically" (in the comfort of your own home, and in many cases, alone).  But times are always changing, and I predict that with most things which are truly human-based, the pendulum will swing back (IS already starting to swing back) to craving and appreciating the value of in-person, human experiences.  And, I believe that with the pendulum swinging back, it will look different on the other side - it will never again look like or be like it was, and there is a good reason for that.  
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 03:45:12 AM

I do believe that people (not me and maybe not you either) still mostly prefer consuming things (music as well) together with other people. The social aspect is important to them. Many even like the dressing up part... If everyone was like us the concerts would have died out years ago.

I would love to hear pianists play live, but having to go to a concert with all those other people is just so off-putting... Maybe I'll just kidnap one to listen to at home... just need to get that grand first!

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 03:54:15 AM
I do believe that people (not me and maybe not you either) still mostly prefer consuming things (music as well) together with other people. The social aspect is important to them.

That is no doubt true, but I suspect..

... more satisfies that than...

(and those chairs even look half comfortable)

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: July 24, 2014, 03:58:27 AM
... more satisfies that than...

What, don't they look ecstatic to you?  ;D

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: July 24, 2014, 09:03:33 PM
What, don't they look ecstatic to you?  ;D

Must they be?
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline superman1980

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: July 24, 2014, 10:16:38 PM
Must they be?

No classical music is like a drug.
Pathetique - Beethoven
Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 - Liszt
Toccata - Bowen
Warrior/Memories in an Ancient Garden - Louie

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: July 28, 2014, 02:15:59 AM
Classical performers tend to be terrible at concert organisation. You can fill a concert hall up if you know how to sell your tickets. Just hiring a hall and putting posters around will set you up for failure no matter how well you play the piano. Get out there and sell your tickets, do preview concerts, sell discount tickets to social clubs, market it properly!!! My students who have aspirations for solo career i ensure that they become not only good musicians but get training in business management, marketing strategies, concert management and so much more. It is a business not about music at all. Too many performers miss this point and think its about how well they play.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert