Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Any good books to formally study advanced counterpoint and harmony?  (Read 5755 times)

Offline hmrichter

Some good ones to study that are fairly well known are preferred (so that I can get them from my local library and then be able to return it without spending $50+). Thanks!
WIP:
Bach WTC Fugue 2
Chopin 17/4
          32/1
          70/2
"There are two things that are infinite- human stupidity and the universe, and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein

Offline coda_colossale

• PS Silver Member
Can you explain in more detail what kind of a book you are looking for? What level are you at? Are you looking for a book on 16c or 18c counterpoint? etc.

Nevertheless, I recommend you to just quickly study Gradus ad Parnassum and do some Lavignac.

I have the following books:

Piston- Harmony&Counterpoint
Aldwell&Schachter- Harmony&Voice Leading
Kennan- Counterpoint
Oldroyd- The Technique and Spirit of Fugue
Kostka-Payne- Tonal Harmony
Schönberg- Structural Functions of Harmony&Theory of Harmony
And of course Gradus ad Parnassum.

Piston is always reliable, but may not always the best choice.

I recommend:
Kennan- Easy to understand, easy to find, and is a standart.
The Technique and Spirit of Fugue: May be hard to find, but I find it to be the best book on the topic.
Aldwell&Schachter- Harmony&Voice Leading: Very deep and thorough. Challenging to read.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Personally I like the Aldwell & Schachter.  Pairing it with a keyboard harmony text such as the following may be helpful:
https://www.amazon.com/A-New-Approach-Keyboard-Harmony/dp/0393950018
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert