Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Rate me!  (Read 1714 times)

Offline hiimmarc

Rate me!
on: August 19, 2014, 10:12:32 AM
Hi,

I just joined the pianostreetforum and I hope my question can be answered here.

So, I wanted to know if you can tell me how good I am on playing the piano. My friends and family are not playing the piano so I have no clue on what level I am.

I've been playing for 6 years now, on a Yahama CLP 230 (not an acoustic piano). I practise like 3 times a week, about half an hour each. I guess that's not much?  :-\
I mostly play pieces  by Chopin, i played most of his waltz, at the moment i play fantasie impromptu by Chopin. I really enjoy playing the piano and when i show some people a few pieces, they mostly say it's great and played with a lot of emotion. But because im afraid of playing the piano in public and hardly do it,  I cannot really classify what they are saying. Because they won't say it's bad right?

Maybe you can tell me on what level I am and then I can possibly persuade my parents to get a acoustic piano. That would be a dream.  :)

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Re: Rate me!
Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 10:32:56 AM
For us to know how good you are, we should hear you play, don't you agree?

But if you have already spent so much time and committed to regularly practicing the piano it is definitely worth it to get an acoustic piano and a good teacher. How to convince your parents is another matter...

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 11:33:50 AM
No one can tell you how good you are by reading words we need to hear recordings. A recording also doesn't reveal everything about how good you are either but it does give a snap shot. The rate in which you learn your music is also important as well as how good you can improve it towards concert standard and whether you can play pieces at a high standard with little chance of mistakes.

Save up your pennies for an acoustic, maybe if your parents see you are that serious they will help you?
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline hiimmarc

Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 02:41:11 PM
Thanks for your answers, but since i don't know how to upload a recording, can't you tell it by the pieces i'm able to play?

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 04:15:37 PM
Thanks for your answers, but since i don't know how to upload a recording, can't you tell it by the pieces i'm able to play?

No. Because playing the piano is not about what pieces you play but HOW you play them.

Offline hiimmarc

Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 04:41:14 PM
No. Because playing the piano is not about what pieces you play but HOW you play them.

Then lets assume I can play it with nearly no mistakes and very emotional.
At around 140 beats per minute. ;)

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 04:45:00 PM

Well said!

Offline amytsuda

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 05:00:40 PM
Yes, you are definitely ready to ask your parents to get an acoustic piano, if possible, a grand piano. To be honest, you won't progress well, if you stay on a digital piano from where you are at now. What else can we say to help you convince your parents?

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 05:14:12 PM
Then lets assume I can play it with nearly no mistakes and very emotional.
At around 140 beats per minute. ;)

I don't assume anything until I hear something...

Do you need someone to tell your parents that you'll be rich and famous if you get an acoustic piano? I don't mind lying for a good cause :)

Offline hiimmarc

Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 05:28:46 PM

I don't assume anything until I hear something...

Do you need someone to tell your parents that you'll be rich and famous if you get an acoustic piano? I don't mind lying for a good cause :)

well, no :D i just want to make them clear that I have potential (atleast I hope so, that's the reason why I started this post) and I hope this will increase my chance of getting an acoustic piano. :)

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 05:55:41 PM

well, no :D i just want to make them clear that I have potential (atleast I hope so, that's the reason why I started this post) and I hope this will increase my chance of getting an acoustic piano. :)

Everyone has the potential to learn something and enjoy music. Having an acoustic piano will greatly enchance that enjoyment IMO :)

Offline amytsuda

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 09:19:38 PM
You won't know unless you practice on an acoustic piano....

The thing about Yamaha CLP is that disregarding how you are hitting the key, it makes the wonderful recorded grand piano sounds. Yes, it has hammer action response and it feels as if it's a real piano. But you'd probably notice, when you try to play the piece you know on an acoustic piano, somehow, it feels a lot more difficult to control your sound quality.

If you have a potential or not depends on if you can control your touch, create multiple colors, manage your dynamic ranges, etc, which you can only know by playing on an acoustic piano.

You are playing wonderful pieces like Chopin Waltz and Fantasie Improptu, of course, you have a potential. Now I have many nephews and nieces and encountered many kids, if you don't have a potential, you won't try to play those things.

Offline hiimmarc

Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 10:01:12 AM
Yeah, I tried out acoustic pianos by Steinway, Boston, Bechstein,... and the difference is unbelievable.
I really want to play on them again and it's kinda hard to go back home and play on my clp 230.
Well, thank you all for your answers, really appreciated.  :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert