Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Piano Bench vs. Office Chair  (Read 12460 times)

Offline ryankmfdm

Piano Bench vs. Office Chair
on: August 20, 2014, 02:28:59 AM
 If I recall correctly, there's at least one member on this forum who has mentioned in a previous topic that he or she prefers sitting in a desk chair while playing as opposed to the traditional piano bench. (I know Radu Lupu likes to do this, as well.) Does anyone else do this? If so, why? Any advice as to what type of chair in specific works best? I'm in the market for a new office chair, and figured I'd explore this possibility a bit.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: Piano Bench vs. Office Chair
Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 04:35:43 AM
On my previous piano I used to use a chair intended as garden furniture.  It was the perfect height.  The bench that came with the piano was awful.  The edges were not routed and were so sharp they could cut off circulation in your thighs. The bench looked pretty, but I don't care much about pretty benches that don't perform their primary function. 

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 05:18:33 AM
I sat on a (very low) office chair for many years. Sometimes, I still do. It depends on what I'm playing.

Offline pianoman8

Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 02:23:27 AM
I like to sit in an office chair because I feel as though it provides support for the back, and it comfortable too.

Offline nyiregyhazi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 02:34:22 AM
Does "office chair" mean something different for you folks? In Britain, it normally means a revolving chair. Anything unstable is really bad.

Offline ryankmfdm

Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 06:19:09 AM
Does "office chair" mean something different for you folks? In Britain, it normally means a revolving chair. Anything unstable is really bad.
I'm American, and to me it means just a standard chair you'd see at a desk with a computer in an office of some sort. Revolving, padded seat, arm rests (sometimes), etc.

For those of you who have (or do) (pianoman8, awesom_o, quantum), did or do you have any problems with the revolving aspect? Or the fact that it's on wheels?

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 06:34:51 AM
The garden chair at home was not revolving and did not have wheels.

I did play for music theater production in the past where I used a revolving chair.  The revolving aspect took only about 10 mins to get used to.  All that was needed was a small change in foot stance to achieve stabilization.  The revolving chair was certainly helpful for a multi-keyboard setup.
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 02:38:07 PM
I recall my office chair being on a carpet, so the wheels didn't prove to be a problem. I never had much issue with the revolving nature of the chair, though I had a few friends who complained if they tried to play while sitting in it.

These days I've been sitting on a stationary chair that is higher... a bit more like a normal bench.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert