Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Cubital Tunnel Syndrome  (Read 2567 times)

Offline opus10no2

• PS Silver Member
Cubital Tunnel Syndrome
on: September 05, 2014, 05:37:32 PM
Has anyone else dealt with this as a Pianist?

I've suffered from it since late last year due to overpractice and especially playing with too much elbow tension....
I have took time off, started again, tried various treatments...I've seen the Doctor a few times about it, consulted physiotherapists etc.

I'm considering surgery as a worst case scenario but at the moment my treatment is to just do less practice.

Has anyone else had experience with this?   
Da SDC Piano Forum :
https://www.dasdc.net/

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Re: Cubital Tunnel Syndrome
Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 06:28:05 AM
A few years ago when I felt a bit of tennis elbow creeping in I used one of these - worked a treat.
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

theholygideons

Re: Cubital Tunnel Syndrome
Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 06:52:48 AM
Not from playing piano, but from lifting weights, yes I have. The ulnar nerve involved runs down the shoulder to your 3rd, 4th and 5th fingers. They all went numb. I just laid off the military presses. maybe you've been playing too much op.10 no.2 :P. If it's your right hand affected, then lay it off for a while, and look at the left handed repertoire.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert