Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Opera fans  (Read 1139 times)

Offline india1000

• PS Silver Member
Opera fans
on: September 20, 2014, 09:40:54 PM
Hi,

I'm a pretty big opera fan; how many of you guys are like me in that regard? I've been recently really into Rossini, especially La Cenerentola. His music is just amazing. What operas do you guys like?
Working on:
Bach: Prelude and Fugue in C Minor WTC 1
Rachmaninoff: Elegie Op. 3 No 1
Raff: Rigaudon Op. 204 No 3 (I think?)
Dvorak: Trio "Dumky" mvt 5

Offline coda_colossale

• PS Silver Member
-
Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 10:48:34 PM
I'm not a big fan, especially not of Italian Opera, but I have two (Werther ( ;D ) and Salome) I really like a lot.

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Re: Opera fans
Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 11:15:07 PM
I have enjoyed opera as long as I can remember -- which is quite a while (I have been listening to the New York Metropolitan Opera Saturday afternoon broadcasts for at least 65 years, pretty faithfully!).  I find that my taste varies from time to time (and, for all I know, with the phase of the moon or something).  It is easier to say what I don't care for -- modern atonal music, or music with singing parts which are unkind to the voice, for instance.  Oddly, although I truly love Renaissance and Baroque music in general, I don't really care for early opera that much.

And I admit to being really truly fond of Puccini...  I also enjoy Donizetti and Rossini; not so much Mozart (!); I like some (but not all) Wagner, not so much Verdi... there is some music in Rosenkavalier which is simply sublime (the closing trio).

Nor am I a fanatic about dismissing musical theatre from the canon of opera; some of the more recent musical theatre shows are not all that different from "grand" opera.
Ian

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 06:32:56 AM
Long time fan here, though I couldn't stand it until I actually saw one (Traviata). Was hooked and saw my next one the next day (Idomeneo). Ah the days of student rushes!

Wagner, Puccini, Donizetti, Mozart, Beethoven, Britten, Janacek, Rossini, Handel, Massenet, Tchaikovsky..........

Oh, and if you're interested, there's a really nice Fantasy (for piano) on La Cenerentola by Henry Mollicone.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline cbreemer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 07:26:19 AM
I've never really warmed to the genre but quite recently I enormously enjoyed watching Peter Grimes, Price Igor, and Boris Godunov on YouTube. I guess there is hope for me yet :)

Offline senanserat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 03:58:55 AM
Don Giovanni is the most.
"The thousand years of raindrops summoned by my song are my tears, the thunder that strikes the earth is my anger!"

Offline necropolis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 05:53:11 AM
I'm not a opera fans, but I'm a opera fantasia fans!!!!
My repertoire is full of that, especially Liszt.
Working on:
Schubert Impromptu op.142 no.3
Chopin Gross Polonaise op.22
Wager-Liszt Tannhauser Overture S.442
farewell! Bach
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert