\"\"
Piano Forum logo

There's "teaching" and then there's Teaching. (Read 7154 times)

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Re: There's "teaching" and then there's Teaching.
«Reply #50 on: November 09, 2014, 08:59:00 PM »
The friendliness and mutual love in this place never ceases to warm my heart.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline kevin69

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #51 on: November 09, 2014, 09:16:29 PM »
Well, I think it's a pivotal point in my life and even though that's not what I had planned to bring up I guess it came out.  What I am personally looking for in my life is a way to professionally move forward, and if it's going to be in music, to take an already established music career, and one with certain experiences already within it, to a new level.  

After reading the thread I'm still unclear what's stopping you.
Not  knowing the direction to take?
Or other priorities?
Or something else?

Offline Mayla

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #52 on: November 09, 2014, 09:36:44 PM »
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #53 on: November 09, 2014, 09:47:39 PM »
Because all I see in front of me looks and feels like a hamster wheel?

Sometimes you just need to find your inner hamster.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline Mayla

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #54 on: November 09, 2014, 09:50:45 PM »
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #55 on: November 09, 2014, 09:58:22 PM »
content-wise how is running in a "musical" hamster wheel any different than straightening shelves at the store?

That is for you to find in yourself. If you can't, it's not.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline Mayla

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #56 on: November 09, 2014, 10:00:21 PM »

Offline Mayla

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #57 on: November 09, 2014, 10:05:07 PM »

Offline Mayla

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #58 on: November 09, 2014, 10:25:23 PM »

Offline nyiregyhazi

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #59 on: November 09, 2014, 10:31:35 PM »
So that I may simply run in a wheel?  

I used to work at a grocery store (started at $4.35/hour, thankyouverymuch), and while I do not have plans of going back, content-wise how is running in a "musical" hamster wheel any different than straightening shelves at the store?

Besides the fact that I can't intellectually imagine how doing most of what I've listed as theoretical options can guarantee that I don't just do them, drain myself in the process, and end up doing exactly what I'm doing now, I've actually already even tried it and I just don't have another step in me, at the moment.  So, I'm supposed to get all worked up, set all of my life aside, and possibly spend the rest of my life just trying to break some imaginary wall by taking the same footsteps I've already taken, yet again?

Yes. So either get on with it and shut up, accept where you are now or quit. Whichever one you do, stop whinging like a spoiled child about how you don't have what you want. Your constant complaining in response to advice is both rude to the many posters who wasted their time thinking you'd appreciate sincere advice and tedious. Sorry if we've all disappointed you by not offering you a magical solution in one post, but you can either stop whinging and get on with the normal route or you can learn to appreciate what you already have. Either way, learn to shut up and stop bringing it back to how horribly the world has wronged you and disappointed, at every available opportunity. That's probably the single biggest issue right now. Nobody likes self important people who think they're amazing and behave like they are above the rest of the world, especially not ones who are constantly whinging and complaining about how reality never seems to match up with what their inflated self-estimation leads them to expect on a plate.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #60 on: November 09, 2014, 10:34:47 PM »

Thal

I thought it was funny this and the plastered thread were at the top of my list just now.

The treadmill aspect is probably part of life.  You could just coast -- not try -- and focus on something else.  You'll do just as well teaching without really pushing yourself as you normally would most likely.

*Bob thinks it's possible Mayla and nyireghhazi are actually the same person.*  Nope... Different time zones.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #61 on: November 09, 2014, 10:38:47 PM »
Take on some students online.  That's a little different.

Offline nyiregyhazi

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #62 on: November 09, 2014, 10:56:32 PM »
Incidentally, enthusiastic students with ambition tend to like clear and direct advice rather than pseudo-profound babble. If the type of threads you've posted in these forums (about the doh-ness of doh or whatever all that nonsense was) is indicative of your teaching, you may find you need to learn more practical and tangible methods for development, to attract serious students. If I were to pay someone for a lesson and they spent most of the time talking about concepts so vague and meaningless that I sincerely wondered if they'd spent the whole day smoking drugs, I'd be off to look for a teacher who had something concrete and meaningful to teach me. Those with the strongest ambition seek out the teachers who can offer them the most assistance in realising ambition. If you want such students, above all you need to be sure that you have something truly special to offer them.

Offline pts1

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #63 on: November 09, 2014, 11:23:16 PM »
 8)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #64 on: November 09, 2014, 11:37:03 PM »
Ganging up on the Mayla...

What was the original question?

Offline Mayla

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #65 on: November 09, 2014, 11:45:45 PM »

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #66 on: November 10, 2014, 05:11:39 AM »

Thal

Beginning to miss the good old friendly banter with Susan, Thal ?  Or perhaps not.
"We're all bums when the wagon comes." - Waller

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #67 on: November 10, 2014, 07:00:57 AM »

I used to work at a grocery store (started at $4.35/hour, thankyouverymuch), and while I do not have plans of going back, content-wise how is running in a "musical" hamster wheel any different than straightening shelves at the store?

Those of us who need to work to support ourselves can not always expect for it to be fulfilling. The idea of work in the present time is to create something for someone else and get paid for it. At best you can combine that with also enjoying what you do, but it's simply not possible for everyone, unless one knows how to take pleasure in doing whatever you do well. I've worked all kind of jobs from cleaning to managing and I have to say that I have not hated any of them. Some of them I could not imagine doing for decades or even years, but at the time I felt it was ok. Even with what I do now there are times when I get tired and bored, but it always passes when I get interested in some project again. My job may seem boring to an outsider, but it's important and many things would be worse if I didn't do it as well as I do.

I assume it is exactly the same if your career is about music, there are better times and worse times. If it is never better, then  a career change might be appropriate. But it won't help if the same attitude and unrealistic expectations to life and work will be carried to the next job.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #68 on: November 10, 2014, 07:27:21 AM »
Indeed - or give one heartburn, more like...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline Mayla

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #69 on: November 10, 2014, 07:32:31 AM »

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #70 on: November 10, 2014, 08:46:48 AM »
The reality and the ideal don't usually meet. If I had unlimited funds, in addition to spending more time learning music, I would probably like to go back into research, only this time doing it my way and focus on something I am really interested in on a personal level instead of what is good for funding. I'd have a team where someone else would do the routine work I don't care for. I think what drives me most in life is the willingness to know and understand more. But it doesn't necessarily pay the bills, so the second best thing is to have a job that has that element and still leaves you free time to explore other things. I assume a music teacher can still explore music while paying the bills by teaching beginners?

The paradox is that if you spend your life trying to become more knowledgeable, understand more or do something better (like making music) you will get better and better and then you die :P
So it's best not to contemplate these issues too much, otherwise the only rational conclusion is to focus on things that give one instant pleasure.

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #71 on: November 10, 2014, 11:33:11 AM »
Lol Mayla you fell for the trap taking that guy seriously lol.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.facebook.com/groups/348933611793249/

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #72 on: November 10, 2014, 03:55:58 PM »
heck, I've even managed to take joy in scooping my doggy's poopies out of the backyard.  Of course, I made a decision to move on from all of those jobs

You mean you now just leave the poop there all over your back yard?  :o

I have a friend who does that.... it's pretty gross!

Offline Mayla

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #73 on: November 10, 2014, 06:17:59 PM »

Offline pts1

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #74 on: November 10, 2014, 09:57:58 PM »
I give a lot of myself to others.  A lot.

Given your generous and compassionate nature, have you apologized to Keypeg and sought forgiveness?

Offline Mayla

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #75 on: November 10, 2014, 10:22:56 PM »

Offline nyiregyhazi

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #76 on: November 10, 2014, 11:00:51 PM »
Anybody who has consciously made the decision to press themselves outside of my trust is indeed firmly out of it.  I can comprehend that people do strange things for "good" reasons -myself included- but I'm not going to lie to myself to make believe that somebody treats me with genuine care when they don't.  In this case, though I have learned from that whole situation, of course I haven't.  Nice try though  :P.

What a surprise. Your reply is exclusively about what's in it for you- not for the person you have been proved to have wrongfully accused. That really speaks of someone who gives themself to others...

Offline pts1

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #77 on: November 11, 2014, 12:34:14 AM »

What a surprise. Your reply is exclusively about what's in it for you

As a brief refresher to put this in context for others, Ajspiano put together a small online forum piano competition in which entrants recorded their performances at home and uploaded them to Pianostreet.com by a deadline date and time. Then the performances would be judged and awarded a "recognition prize".

Keypeg, having a superior performance as I recall, was accused by Mayla of having "stolen" Mayla's recording since they both submitted the same piece.

Mayla's claim of theft by Keypeg was debunked 6 ways to Sunday by several observers and participants, not the least and irrefutable of which was that Keypeg's recording was submitted well before Mayla's was according to its existence in this site observable to all, and the time stamp of its uploading.

But Mayla persisted, even in the face of overwhelming and irrefutable proof, that Keypeg had stolen her recording, and went on to insult other competitors and observers who universally agreed that Mayla was in the wrong and should apologize.

Instead, Mayla "doubled down" worsening her position, and was consequently banned from further competitions due to her dishonesty, deception, and utter lack of remorse.

It is in this context that she STILL (a couple of years later) refuses to apologize or even recongize that she is the assailant and not the victim.

Truly bizarre.

Anyone -- other than Mayla -- who remembers the event, please feel free to correct anything I have gotten wrong in the brief recounting.

PS

One wonders about the child in her care trying to simply learn Jingle Bells?

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #78 on: November 11, 2014, 06:33:59 PM »
Beginning to miss the good old friendly banter with Susan, Thal ? 

Incredibly, yes.

I fancy a new battle with some tambo bangers.

Might start a new thread.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #79 on: November 11, 2014, 06:40:48 PM »
I am a little uncomfortable with all this Mayla bashing.

From my contact with her over a number of years, I am of the opinion that she is a beautiful person inside and out.

On the other hand, it would be rather hypocritical of me to criticize others for being mean to other members.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #80 on: November 12, 2014, 02:16:08 AM »
I am a little uncomfortable with all this Mayla bashing.

From my contact with her over a number of years, I am of the opinion that she is a beautiful person inside and out.

On the other hand, it would be rather hypocritical of me to criticize others for being mean to other members.

What's happened to Thal? Someone hacked his account? He's been invaded by an alien? ...or maybe just too many beers?

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #81 on: November 12, 2014, 03:09:32 AM »
Those who have attacked Mayla's character and goodness on this forum over that strange recording will one day know who it is they have scorned.  Surer than the current President of the United States shall be removed from office.
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #82 on: November 12, 2014, 04:37:18 AM »
Surer than the current President of the United States shall be removed from office.

His two terms being up, surely he'll retire from office rather than being removed. Missed your chance on that one last presidential election.  ::)

Offline pts1

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #83 on: November 12, 2014, 06:12:52 AM »
Surer than the current President of the United States shall be removed from office.

What a curious comment.

Which brings me to Mayla....

Those who have attacked Mayla's character and goodness on this forum over that strange recording will one day know who it is they have scorned.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm?

So I'll guess the revelation as to who she is will be.... Beelzebub?

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #84 on: November 12, 2014, 12:16:10 PM »
*Bob considers changing his username to BeezelBob.*  Although I don't know if the original bub part is actually from anything.

http://www.bajiroo.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/strange-people-funny-images.jpg
The pic wasn't displaying for me.  Ugh...

Strange.... Generally Mayla's been ok.  The only odd thing was that recording argument.  And then the extra profiles but I figured that was entertainment.   Goldentone could be another extra profile though. 

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #85 on: November 12, 2014, 12:55:47 PM »
Mayla is ok whats wrong with her??? Shes been here for a long time and I remember her accounts before she became Mayla. She has a lot of good ideas and thoughts. We all have said crazy stuff online, if you keep bringing the negative past up thats just silly. Bring it up if it occurs all the time.... like some idiots here ... lol
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.facebook.com/groups/348933611793249/

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #86 on: November 12, 2014, 01:40:56 PM »
Mayla is ok whats wrong with her??? Shes been here for a long time and I remember her accounts before she became Mayla. She has a lot of good ideas and thoughts. We all have said crazy stuff online, if you keep bringing the negative past up thats just silly. Bring it up if it occurs all the time.... like some idiots here ... lol
Like you and Thal (and no doubt others), I am finding this incessant Mayla-bashing exceedingly tiresome. Whilst there are occasions on which I do not always seem fully to understand the points that she makes, I certainly don't at all understand a good many of the vehement accusations of her that are flying around here; my other regret is that she has sought to respond to each and every one of them rather than merely treating them with the contempt that they appear for the most part to deserve.

Since I do not teach and have hardly ever taught, I seek to claim no undue authority on the subject matter under discussion and am therefore wisely refraining from comment on its substance, but that fact does not discourage me from posting as I have in the above paragraph.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline pts1

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #87 on: November 12, 2014, 07:41:21 PM »
*Bob considers changing his username to BeezelBob.*
 :o

Hey, Bob, a fantastic idea! Wish I'd thought of it. Just think of the possibilities!

Write a new song: "When the Red Goblin come BeelzeBob bob bobin' along"

A new movie: "What about BeelzeBob?"

Say... I like the way you talk (From "Sling Blade" with Billy "Beelzebob" Thornton) so I'm gonna change my attitude and realize like you do that Mayla is here for the entertainment value, and what with her multiple personalities and identities -- since none of us can really speak or understand Maylanese -- why not just go along with the joke??

I'm from the old school, so to speak, and expect people to own up to their mistakes, be honest and apologize, but this is really, really passe now.

Our President has set the tone: "If you like your plan [healthcare] you can keep your plan. Period"

Hey... another idea... how about politics!?!?

Let's see... how about Barack Hoosifer Beelzebama -- you could really go for it.

But I get 10% and rights to 25% of the residuals, OK!

PS

I liked your suggestion to her that she could be a Priestess, hubcaps not withstanding.