Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: student masterclass  (Read 1716 times)

Offline daidaipa

• PS Silver Member
student masterclass
on: December 05, 2004, 11:07:05 PM
HI Everyone,

I am throwing together a masterclass for 10 of my students. I have grouped them together particulary by age. This group is from age 8 to 12. They are mixed levels but I wanted to talk to them about performance strategies and ways to conquer stagefrights. any suggestions of specific topics or ways to get the concepts across?

henry

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Re: student masterclass
Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 03:06:29 AM
For kids I always tell them, LISTEN TO YOURSELF PLAY. If you start thinking of the audience you will just make yourself nervous or over anxious to finish playing your piece. So before you even play, just hit a few notes just to listen to the piano. Then start when you are ready. Don't make the first note u play the peice you are playing, even play one arpeggio or something that just breaks the silence then start.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline pianowelsh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 06:38:13 PM
at that age keep it fun.
Video them and have a little laugh with them about it. Get them to practice bowing to each other that way it's not specifically music and they can practise being up there in fornt of each other as a separate entity from playing their piece. Get them all to say one good thing and one criticism of each other (it's different coming from someone other than their teacher!). It's fun to get them to introduce the piece to and again if everyone does it it takes the competitive edge out of the playing because different ones will have different strengths.

Offline pianoannie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 26, 2005, 12:25:06 AM
Encourage them to focus on the "big picture."  Students can be so hard on themselves if they play one wrong note, yet totally forget to pay attention to the overall musicality of the piece.  Tell them to focus on the overall story or emotion that the piece is trying to convey, and that a wrong note is no reason to panic.  Just keep going, playing as expressively as possible.
Also, encourage the student to perform their pieces for neighbors or relatives, a small audience of one or two people, or even tape record themselves, just to put a little pressure on as they practice.  This will reveal any weak spots.

Offline ChristmasCarol

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 26, 2005, 02:21:09 PM
I heard about a class at Julliard the other day that addresses stage fright.  Apparently they have the students perform and people talk over the music, drop 2x4's, and generally do everything possible to distract the performance. 

I teach my students to have an imaginary audience while they are preparing for the performance.  That way, if the audience they get isn't to their liking they can just "call up" the imaginary one.  I did this by instinct myself.  When I was a kid I used to stand on a huge rock as my stage, and sing my heart out.  I had the best audience.  Boy did they love me.  They asked for encores, were in the hundreds, etc.  ;D

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert