Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: i never get sick  (Read 1319 times)

Offline cwjalex

i never get sick
on: January 02, 2015, 08:09:43 PM
lately i have been trying to remember the last time i was sick with a cold.  it's been around 7-8 years that i have had any kind of sore throat, runny nose, cough or cold/flu like symptoms.  i just don't seem to ever get sick anymore.  are any of you like this?  every year people get sick around me and even when my girlfriend got sick i still kissed and slept with her and still didn't get sick.  i'm wondering if i am just blessed with a strong immune system or if there are other factors.  i feel like i eat like many people, i eat fast food a couple times a week and don't watch calories or fat.  i do eat a lot of vegetables every day so maybe that helps.  for those of you who also never get sick is there something you can identify that may contribute to this?

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Re: i never get sick
Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 08:36:20 PM
Guess who's getting sick soon?  Haha.

I've wondered if somehow the body/mind knows it's just starting to get sick and you start thinking about it.  And then you get sick.

Just luck I'd say.  All the reasons you mention.  Plus being around people who are careful about not getting sick, etc.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline cwjalex

Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 08:44:48 PM

I've wondered if somehow the body/mind knows it's just starting to get sick and you start thinking about it.  And then you get sick.

Plus being around people who are careful about not getting sick, etc.

the mind is a powerful thing.  it can convince the body that it is sick or better and cause real physical changes.  placebos work.  mass hysteria causes real physical symptoms.  as for being sick...bring it on.  it's been so long i'm starting to forget what it's like to have a cold. 

also, i am not careful about being around people who aren't sick.  just the opposite.  it's been so long since i've been sick that i don't mind being close to them.  i'll hug/kiss sick people...i'll eat their food.  i just don't get sick anymore. i may have just built up a resistance to all the common bacterial strains in the area and i may get sick if i moved to a completely different location.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 09:09:09 PM
I too have stopped getting regular flues, stomach flues, sore throats and so on. Everyone around me is sick and I just won't get it. I may feel a little bit odd one day, but the next day it's gone. I thought it's because i am getting older and have been exposed to enough viruses in my life that my system knows how to handle most of them already.

I don't always eat that healthy either. The only thing that is different is that these days I tend to eat some fresh berries from the freezer every day and also use a fiber supplement...berries are known to have a lot of nutritions that are good for the immune system.

I also try to wash my hands a bit more often at work and occasionally use a hand desinfectant. Not that I am really afraid of germs... It would be only fair to be sick a bit more often, since almost everyone else misses work regularly  >:(

Offline transparently

Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 09:44:31 PM
Ever since I started exercising regularly, I've drastically reduced my tendency to get sick. Do you exercise?

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 09:45:44 PM
I started this past year.  Definitely worth it. Lots of positives now and later. 

I've got a list of the negatives on here somewhere but the positives still outweigh them.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline cwjalex

Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 11:53:54 PM
Ever since I started exercising regularly, I've drastically reduced my tendency to get sick. Do you exercise?

yes i exercise every day. 

Offline pianoplunker

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 01:56:39 AM
lately i have been trying to remember the last time i was sick with a cold.  it's been around 7-8 years that i have had any kind of sore throat, runny nose, cough or cold/flu like symptoms.  i just don't seem to ever get sick anymore.  are any of you like this?  every year people get sick around me and even when my girlfriend got sick i still kissed and slept with her and still didn't get sick.  i'm wondering if i am just blessed with a strong immune system or if there are other factors.  i feel like i eat like many people, i eat fast food a couple times a week and don't watch calories or fat.  i do eat a lot of vegetables every day so maybe that helps.  for those of you who also never get sick is there something you can identify that may contribute to this?

Vodka  ;D

Offline Petter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 03:35:25 AM
I never get sick but, when I started exercising I got sick for a month. Always knew it was dangerous..
"A gentleman is someone who knows how to play an accordion, but doesn't." - Al Cohn

Offline indianajo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: January 03, 2015, 06:54:44 PM
I too have stopped getting regular flues, stomach flues, sore throats and so on. Everyone around me is sick and I just won't get it. I may feel a little bit odd one day, but the next day it's gone. I thought it's because i am getting older and have been exposed to enough viruses in my life that my system knows how to handle most of them already.
I'm glad you were all issued perfect minds by your European, African, or Asian ancestors. 
I've had three colds since fall started.  I'm retired now so I don't out much, so I can pretty well time my colds or flu to 36 to 42 hours after I go to church on Sunday.  I don't dare take common chalice communion as the Episcopaleans do, that gave me a respiratory disease every time I tried it. 
I can get the same stupid disease over and over again, after a three year lapse.  I've been diagnosed with measles five times, four as a child and once in the Army age 23.  The Army did a culture on me to make sure I wasn't malingering, sure enough, it was measles again. 
My native American looking Grandfather died of a bad cold in 1938, age 41.  That was a couple of years before sulfa drugs became available.  He smoked and had been gassed in WWI, they blamed the death on that.  I, by contrast, that look like him, have had every vaccine known to man, eat a balanced diet, work out, take a multivitamin pill daily, what else is left? Change parents to have an ancestor that visited the whorehouses of the North Sea regularly.   A viking that raped and pillaged his way around the rims of the continent?  A Hungarian whose great great . . . grandmother was raped by Ghengis Khan's horde? 
My European ancestors were short dark people, the kind that have been serfs of the nordic peoples in the British Isles since the Angles and Saxons discovered seagoing boats.  They have been coal miners as far back as anybody can remember, that is not quite serfdom but doesn't miss by much. 
My native American ancestors hid in the mountains of W Va up until the very late 1800's, hunting deer and maremots and growing corn, beans & squash likely.  Not much use for infectious immunity up there, nobody ever went anywhere or saw anybody.  By contrast, I can see in the dark better than any European or African I met in the Army, my reaction time is 56 ms, fast enough to catch yourself if I had slipped on a rock hunting a deer in the rain.  Rain won't fall in my eyes my eyebrows and eyelashes are too effective.  I can stand in the rain with a dry scalp too, my hair is very oily.  I have huge thighs and lungs and can run and jump around forever, but my arm and chest muscles are totally unsuited to reefing a sail or plowing a field with an ox.  My bones are very light, my arms legs very short, adaptations suited for running down deer with a bow or mastodons with an atlatl it would appear.  I didn't know I was so good at long distance running until I joined the Army, my father never did that.  My Mother was quite a ranger of the mountains as a pre-teen but broke a leg running downhill with the European kids in Sunday school, the stress of impact was too high. Her parents did keep a cow before that, it wasn't vitamin D defficiency.   
I don't envy you immigrants to America your cancers, your heart diseases, your wrinkles.  None of those run in my family.  Oh, one uncle that smoked 2 packs of cigarillos a day died of throat cancer in his late seventies, but it doesn't take much planning to avoid that irritation of the cells. 
So enjoy your health, you overlords of the continents.  I'm enjoying life and the music you brought with you from Europe, but not the stupid infections everybody keeps importing in the airplanes, and the ships before that. 

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: January 03, 2015, 07:14:44 PM

So enjoy your health, you overlords of the continents.  I'm enjoying life and the music you brought with you from Europe, but not the stupid infections everybody keeps importing in the airplanes, and the ships before that. 

Actually MY ancestors didn't come close to your continent...They chose to stay in a god forsaken cold place in Northern Europe...nor did they enjoy the benefits of colonalisation, but rather were taken advantage by more powerful neighbours themselves...
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert