Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: What kind of piano makes *this* sound??  (Read 1609 times)

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
What kind of piano makes *this* sound??
on: January 10, 2015, 11:37:54 PM
Okay, this is Cziffra on Chopin's B flat minor prelude (sorry, had an obsession with it!)
But something always makes me LOVE this performance- the bottom B flat at 1:00
But this sounds FAR too deep to be true. Does he maybe play an octave here, or just have an insanely amazing bass in his piano?
What piano could produce this?

Offline withindale

• PS Silver Member
Re: What kind of piano makes *this* sound??
Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 12:29:46 AM
You could try a Yamaha like this
or a Stuart & Sons
among others.

Offline liszt1022

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 01:03:11 AM
Okay, this is Cziffra on Chopin's B flat minor prelude (sorry, had an obsession with it!)
But something always makes me LOVE this performance- the bottom B flat at 1:00
But this sounds FAR too deep to be true. Does he maybe play an octave here, or just have an insanely amazing bass in his piano?
Yeah, it's the bottom Bb octave.

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 01:32:10 AM
Oh okay, so he does go a bit unorthodox on the score. I had a feeling that's what it was but ignored it. Thanks!

(even still, that is one hell of a bass)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 02:43:41 AM
I'd see it as more of a registration choice then being unorthodox.  There are other places too which sound like he is filling in chords.  If done tastefully, it can be used to shape the sound. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert