Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Organize your sheet music library for free!  (Read 3504 times)

Offline primavista

Organize your sheet music library for free!
on: February 11, 2015, 12:41:51 AM
Brand new version of PrimaVista is out!

It's like Evernote for sheet music (if you haven't heard of Evernote, then think Dropbox for sheet music).

It's the easiest way to import and display your digital sheet music.

You just drag n drop your PDF files into the web uploader area and it will sync your scores to all your devices.
Use your browser to access your sheet music library. Also native Android application and iOS support (through web interface).
Enjoy your scores wherever you are.

It's FREE, try it!
https://www.getprimavista.com

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Re: Organize your sheet music library for free!
Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 02:39:32 AM
Sounds like I'd have to scan all music.  It's on paper now. 

Then I'd have to upload them to that site.  And who knows who might take my files there.

And then I have to download the stuff I just uploaded.  A

And try to view that on a phone or tablet.  I don't have either, so I'd have to go but them.  But then the screen would be too small, so I'd have to print that out on paper so I could read it.

That sounds like a lot of work.

Why not just use PDFs and view it with Evernote or Dropbox?
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline primavista

Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 05:19:49 PM
Hi Bob,

you're right! That's what we think as well and it's the feature that we're working on right now!

You will be able to scan your sheet music by flipping through the paper pages while having a phone's camera facing down. The scores will then get cleaned (black and white) and synced to all your devices.
It's very hard to accomplish this but we hope to make it.

You don't need a smartphone or tablet to use it. You can use your PC.

As for the 'screen too small', there are 12 and 20+ inch Android tablets now. You can also use your laptop's monitor or your PC monitor. The scores get resized to fill the whole screen. You can even view your scores on a 40 inch TV (via HDMI connection).

Evernote and Dropbox are not designed for sheet music so you can't have full screen split page view and other stuff.
You can try the demo and see for yourself (no registration required).

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 01:52:56 AM
What would be really cool is if someone invented something, some kind of app maybe, where you could just upload your music and have it available on all your devices whenever you want.  I know I have a lot of devices.  And I have a lot music.  But I don't have my printed music on all those devices whenever I want.  Why just the other day I had my smartphone out and... no music!  That's not very smart, is it?

Unfortunately, such technology doesn't exist, and we have to make due with what we have... Like paper.  A couple thousand years for paper is quite enough time I say.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline primavista

Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 02:37:29 AM
Well that's what we have.
Cloud platform to have your music synced to all your devices.

With the paper scores import feature what you say will be possible. For now it's only available for digital scores.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 02:46:44 AM
I have a vast amount of printed music, and a vaster amount of pdfs. The pdfs are largely unsorted and use a bizarre range of titling conventions, including ones in foreign languages. Some of the (single) pdfs are collections of works, including foreign language collections.  Will it allow me to (a) selectively sync as there's way too much for some devices; and (b) actually impose some order on this mess?
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline primavista

Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 02:59:52 AM
We're working on an OCR feature that will "look inside" the PDF and try to recognize the title, composer, lyrics and add them as metadata.
Foreign languages are no problem.

Regarding your questions:
a. You can't selectively sync.
b. I'm not sure that I understand.. do you mean that you want to split a specific PDF in smaller PDFs?

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 04:29:57 AM
b. I'm not sure that I understand.. do you mean that you want to split a specific PDF in smaller PDFs?

Not really - just to have the individual pieces catalogued.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline primavista

Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 04:33:36 AM
Each PDF that you upload will be listed as a different score.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 06:29:23 AM
Only if e-paper manufactures would realize the market for large format devices. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert