Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: Steingraeber 138 or a small Grand?  (Read 9392 times)

Offline ksam

• PS Silver Member
Steingraeber 138 or a small Grand?
on: February 23, 2015, 06:45:21 PM
Hello,
I've recently begun playing again after a 20-year hiatus, and have been test-driving uprights. The Steingraeber 138 has my heart, but I'm wondering if I should consider a small grand. I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!

Offline richard black

• PS Silver Member
Re: Steingraeber 138 or a small Grand?
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 10:08:12 PM
Well, there are small grands and small grands... If your budget stretches to a new Steiny 138 (which is certainly a magnificent instrument, no question) you could probably get quite a good small grand, especially if you consider second-hand. Too small (under about 150cm) and there's not much point, but if you can accommodate something more like 200cm you will find quite a variety of instruments floating around, some very good despite possibly being a few decades old. Which country are you in?
Instrumentalists are all wannabe singers. Discuss.

Offline rachmforever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 10:36:35 PM
Hello,
I've recently begun playing again after a 20-year hiatus, and have been test-driving uprights. The Steingraeber 138 has my heart, but I'm wondering if I should consider a small grand. I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!
I think Steingraeber & Söhne are really amazing pianos I had opportunity play on
Steingraeber und Söhne 212 limited Liszt edition and it was something incredible. One of best grand I ever played. So I think their sort of pianos are really really great. Anyway it depends quite on you. Because there alway will be different between playing on upright piano and grand no matter on type of pianos.
Chopin etudes op.10 No 1,3,12 op.25 No 12
Schumann and Grieg piano concertos A minor
Beethoven sonatas No.17, No.14
Rachmaninoff prelude B minor
and more...
learning:

Offline ksam

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 12:52:50 AM
Well, there are small grands and small grands... If your budget stretches to a new Steiny 138 (which is certainly a magnificent instrument, no question) you could probably get quite a good small grand, especially if you consider second-hand. Too small (under about 150cm) and there's not much point, but if you can accommodate something more like 200cm you will find quite a variety of instruments floating around, some very good despite possibly being a few decades old. Which country are you in?

Hello Richard,
I live in the US and can house at most a 6' (183cm) grand. As you've advised, I'm looking in the 5'7" (170cm) range. I'd be happy with a 2nd-hand instrument, but it has to sing.  :) The Steingraebers I'm considering are discounted floor models but oh-so-lovely.

Offline ksam

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 12:56:32 AM
I think Steingraeber & Söhne are really amazing pianos I had opportunity play on
Steingraeber und Söhne 212 limited Liszt edition and it was something incredible. One of best grand I ever played. So I think their sort of pianos are really really great. Anyway it depends quite on you. Because there alway will be different between playing on upright piano and grand no matter on type of pianos.
If only I could locate a used Steingraeber grand! Have you played on other pianos with that Steingraeber voice?

Offline rachmforever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 01:13:52 AM
If only I could locate a used Steingraeber grand! Have you played on other pianos with that Steingraeber voice?
I played Steingraeber Semi Concert Grand D-232 too it's brilliant piece. I started like German pianos so much, more than Steinway and Sons anyway Fazioli is still the best pianos ever for me. That Steingraebers are quite similar like August Förster in some ways, but in others not :D you can make so different sound on them. Best way is try that pianos and you can see on own eyes :)
Actually I have not seen any used (old) Steingraeber grands :( Really don't know why Cuz friends of mine own shop with pianos So I can play there on new models it's really awesome :D They have too some old reconstructed models but never had old Steingraebers.
Chopin etudes op.10 No 1,3,12 op.25 No 12
Schumann and Grieg piano concertos A minor
Beethoven sonatas No.17, No.14
Rachmaninoff prelude B minor
and more...
learning:

Offline ksam

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 03:49:34 AM
Rachmforever,
I've had the great good luck to play the 9' Steingraeber. Whoa! I'll look out for August Forster. Thanks for the suggestion!

Offline withindale

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 05:13:05 AM
In answer to your question you should consider small grands, if only to rule them out. Which ones have you played and which did you like?

After a just for fun trip to London I put a 1936 Bluthner baby grand and a Shigeru on my shortlist. In reality I am happy with my 1925 Schiedmayer & Soehne 140 which, I think, is the next best thing to a Steingraeber 138.  

Offline ksam

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 10:42:19 PM
Withindale,
The only baby grands I've tried are Steinways, both Hamburg and US. How did the Bluthner compare to the Steingraeber 138? A Bluthner upright would be my second choice after a Steingraeber upright.

Offline withindale

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 05:15:53 AM
In short the Bluthner baby grand was peach of a piano, appealing with a characteristic tone, in fiddleback mahogany, an impulse buy at only £16k. I would have to go back to the Steingraebers, an upright and one of the smaller grands. They were so well balanced that there was no need to dwell on them in a noisy showroom on a Saturday morning. Great German pianos!

Offline ksam

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 04:11:09 AM
 Would that I could find a Blüthner baby for that price!

Offline polishookm

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 05:22:32 PM
ksam, steingraeber makes a 170 baby grand and before that the model was 168. they're really special instruments. but if their uprights have your attention and continue to hold your attention that's a sign of "something." :) ... i have a steingraeber 205 and they too are wonderful instruments. and i recently  played two of their uprights and they were wonderful.

basically, best practice when picking out a piano is (a) take your time and (b) listen to what your fingers and ears tell you and (c) take your time and avoid quick decisions.

good deals come and go. but over time you'll have a sense of which pianos in a showroom really capture your attention.

all best wishes in the hunt!

if you want a lot more context and information look up the larry fine piano buyers' guide (free on the internet)
Mark Polishook

Offline ksam

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 02:04:47 AM
Many thanks, Mark. I may have a lead on a baby Steingraeber, but the 138 isn't too shabby.  ;) I will not be making any impulse buys, as there's just too much money involved. Also, I'd like an instrument with which I'll be happy for the foreseeable future. I can't wait too long, however, because I'm playing on a Clavinova and it's affecting my touch.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert