Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: suggestions for free malware/adaware removal  (Read 1585 times)

Offline cwjalex

suggestions for free malware/adaware removal
on: March 07, 2015, 10:33:06 PM
title says it all. 

Offline eldergeek

Re: suggestions for free malware/adaware removal
Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 11:05:52 PM
Use Linux - it will solve the problem at a single stroke.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 12:36:28 AM
Malwarebytes
Microsoft Security Essentials
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline 8_octaves

Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 01:10:24 AM
title says it all. 

hi cwjalex. There's software, which is called, indeed, "adaware", by Lavasoft.

But one has to be proficient, and well-educated in this area, to cope with it.

It reacts to registry-alterations (windows), but if you ONCE DON'T FOLLOW the actions indicated or recommended, you would hardly know whether the recommendation "to delete" ist valuable, or not, because, you could - unwillingly - set the system back to a status in which the malware is still active!

For very proficient guys adaware seems to be useful.-

A good proactive virus- and malware- checker and remover with PROACTIVE FIREWALL would be more helpful, in my opinion. ( Norton, Kaspersky, e.g.).

Log-relevant soft:

There's a piece of software called COMBOFIX. It scans your system and creates logfiles, which proficient and accomplished EXPERTS can evaluate.

https://www.combofix.org/

And you will have to, in case you aren't, send in the log created to a forum of experts, to have the logfile evaluated and get help.

They may help - or not.

cordially, 8_octaves.
"Never be afraid to play before an artist.
The artist listens for that which is well done,
the person who knows nothing listens for the faults." (T. Carreño, quoting her 2nd teacher, Gottschalk.)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 07:38:50 PM
IMO, for such things it is often a proactive approach by the user that generates the best results.  A lot of of these programs work under the premise that a user will click through dialogues, license agreements, questionable links, etc. without examining them.  Many of these things are in plain sight, and can be easily caught if one is careful.  

As an example: an application may present you with a GPL license agreement, but added on to that many paragraphs down is another license agreement for installation of adware.  Only one click through needed for both agreements - a sneaky way to get you to OK the license for the adware at the same time.  Quickly scrolling through the license will reveal if there are any additions.  One thing I look for is if paragraph numbering restarts at #1 part way through the license.  

If an application presents an "option" during installation, a quick google for xyz option will give you an idea if you want it or not.

If you already have a firewall built into your OS, learn to use it. You could also get a third party firewall. Monitor it before and after the installation of any new applications for new entries that you are not expecting to be connecting to the internet.  

Two browser plugins I use that deal with ads and privacy concerns:
https://disconnect.me
https://adblockplus.org

Spybot is good for scanning your system, and removing malware.  There is a free version.
https://www.safer-networking.org

Revo Uninstaller helps to thoroughly uninstall and clean programs from your system, but does much deeper scrubbing then the default OS uninstall interface.
https://www.revouninstaller.com

If you suspect your system is infected, do an online virus scan in addition to your built in virus scanner.  Just google "online virus scan"

Use a Linux live CD to scan and repair your OS from outside the OS. 
Here is a brief summary, scroll down to malware section
https://www.pcworld.com/article/2147063/linux-to-the-rescue-how-ubuntu-can-help-a-computer-in-distress.html

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 08:10:46 PM
Hijack This is another one I've heard of.

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 08:50:29 PM
Two more ways to be proactive:

1.  When doing an upgrade or downloading anything, NEVER let it do the default.  Many of these install more programs than you want.  Use the custom.

2.  Consider not going to those naughty sites so often.
Tim

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 09:04:35 PM
1.  When doing an upgrade or downloading anything, NEVER let it do the default.  Many of these install more programs than you want.  Use the custom.

Do this.  

Sometimes it may not be labeled as custom, but have "change default folder" or a drop down menu for more options.  It is a good idea to fully expand all drop down menus to see what is actually in there.  

Try to avoid installing programs when you are in a rush.  This is when malware is hoping you will be distracted and make that simple oversight of not unchecking a feature or reading a line of text.

Manually virus scan a downloaded program file before you run it, even if it came from a trustworthy source.  If the source has made a checksum available, you may wish to confirm that your downloaded file is a match.
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline cwjalex

Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 09:15:45 PM
thanks for the suggestions.  i am trying to clean up a friend's computer that is super slow so the proactive tips don't help me much . i don't have problems with my own computer.  some of the junk i'm trying to get rid of is very difficult.  some of it just won't let me delete it.  when i try to directly delete the file it won't let me...

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 09:35:30 PM
In that case, an external cleaning such as a Linux live CD may be a good option to consider. 

Try using the currently installed anti-virus and do a deep scan plus boot time scan.  If you know what exactly is infecting the system, there may be individual removal tools online.

If the system is very heavily infected it may be faster to do a data backup, format the drive, and reinstall the OS fresh.   Make sure that your backup is clean, and malware doesn't make its way in there. 

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 12:06:53 AM
Just copy their files and stuff and reformat the whole computer.  No more viruses, no more wondering if there's anything left or what it did.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert