Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Arrau, Friere & Horowitz playing Alkan?  (Read 1989 times)

Offline diomedes

Arrau, Friere & Horowitz playing Alkan?
on: April 15, 2015, 06:15:27 PM
Evidently there's recordings of the following, has anyone come across them?
Freire playing the Finale of the Solo concerto, Arrau playing the entire solo concerto and Horowitz playing some of the Symphony
Beethoven-Alkan, concerto 3
Faure barcarolle 10
Mozart-Stradal, symphony 40

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Re: Arrau, Friere & Horowitz playing Alkan?
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 12:03:29 AM
Not just those three, but quite a few other surprises - Camille Saint-Saëns;  Ferrucio Busoni;  Samuel Feinberg;  Felix Blumenfeld;  Simon Barere;  Sergey Rachmaninov;  Josef Hofmann;  Alfred Cortot;  Moritz Rosenthal;  Erwin Nyiregyhazi;  Arthur Rubinstein;  Samson Francois;  Ignacy Jan Paderewski;  Wilhelm Bachaus;  Percy Grainger;  Aldo Ciccolini;  Claudio Arrau;  Vladimir Horowitz;  Shura Cherkaasky;  György Cziffra;  Jorge Bolet;  Nelson Freire and  John Ogdon.

All on a 4 CD set called 200 Years of Alkan released by Piano Classics.

You can see the details here.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline diomedes

Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 03:01:02 PM
Yup, that's the page that i gathered that info. But they are known recordings, have they been issued before, has anyone heard them or is this the first time they're available?

I'd be most interested in Arrau and Freire with the concerto. Seeing it played with resources available like that is fascinating.

Recently my big discovery is Jack Gibbons playing the concerto. The he plays it with greater technical aplomb than Ogdon is impossible to believe, but he did it and live at that. I knew of his recordings before, not sure why i didn't listen to them, probably because i assumed he'd be on Ronald Smith's level. Certainly i respect Smith's work, but the tempos are not right. But then i found the performances of Gibbons on youtube, that changed a lot.
Beethoven-Alkan, concerto 3
Faure barcarolle 10
Mozart-Stradal, symphony 40

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 03:51:29 PM
Uh, look at the date of that wordpress post. It was too good to be true..
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 12:50:37 AM
Hmm..

I'll be back when the embarrassment wears off.  :-[

"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert