Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Mario Pianist  (Read 2272 times)

Offline Aaron Lee

• PS Silver Member
Mario Pianist
on: December 13, 2004, 05:55:39 PM
Has anyone seen this video? Basically some kid took about a dozen themes from various Mario Brothers games and composed them onto piano, but it's some really impressive stuff, especially towards the end.

You can view the video here:
https://gprime.net/video/blindfoldedmariopianist2.php

Offline Daniel_piano

• PS Silver Member
Re: Mario Pianist
Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 06:29:30 PM
Has anyone seen this video? Basically some kid took about a dozen themes from various Mario Brothers games and composed them onto piano, but it's some really impressive stuff, especially towards the end.

You can view the video here:
https://gprime.net/video/blindfoldedmariopianist2.php

Yes, we know these videos and we have discussed these before
I remember people where ready to flame this kid and his playing
They were wrong
He's a friend a mine and a very kind, passionate and talentes boy
He is majoring piano and composition at Cleveland institute of music
He is playing pieces like Gaspard de la Nuit and giving several recitals from all over the US with a good repertoire of known and less known piece from Mozart to Rachmaninov, critics have acclaimed his musicality and technique in the classical reportoire
His idea of playing Mario Music is nothing puerile or naive, it's in fact the tentative to recoincile the world of popular musical listeners with the world of classical music listeners destrying that barrier of snobbery tipical of the modern accademical music
And its effort has been giving several good results so far
His trascription and harmonization of Mario pieces are simply fantastic
He is also a chess player and a very intelligent boy with very high grades at school so much that he earned a scholarship

Daniel

"Sometimes I lie awake at night and ask "Why me?" Then a voice answers "Nothing personal, your name just happened to come up.""

Offline Aaron Lee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 06:38:06 PM
Yeah, I can definately see why some people may snub him for playing video game songs, but whether you recognize the themes or not, some of these songs sound beautiful and well composed.

I guess for me it's the merging of 2 of my loves that makes me appreciate it. The themes from the games of my youth, and piano compositions.

Hopefully this doesn't flame up more bashing ont his kid. I just thought others like me would appreciate what this kid has done. (Would it be wrong of me to admit that I have about 5 albums of Final Fantasy music composed on piano, and are some of the best piano pieces I have?)

Offline Brian Healey

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004, 03:38:14 AM
(Would it be wrong of me to admit that I have about 5 albums of Final Fantasy music composed on piano, and are some of the best piano pieces I have?)

Yes, it would be very wrong. How dare you?

Just kidding.

Yeah, the Mario kid has talent, there's no denying that. I'm not really into it, but oh well, I'm only one guy.

Offline cziffra

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 14, 2004, 09:34:52 AM
The themes themselves are awesome, i've always loved the theme music for that game.  The problem is, he plays them wrong.  The first theme in particular is atrociously mis-played, the rhythm is totally out.  It is simply nothing like the original. 
What it all comes down to is that one does not play the piano with one’s fingers; one plays the piano with one’s mind.-  Glenn Gould

Offline Daniel_piano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 12:14:46 PM
The themes themselves are awesome, i've always loved the theme music for that game.  The problem is, he plays them wrong.  The first theme in particular is atrociously mis-played, the rhythm is totally out.  It is simply nothing like the original. 

I've Super Mario Bros on my console and I know the music well
I've noticed the differences from the original too, but they're not errors or mistakes but  a personal interpretation
He added several tempo rubato, embellishment, speed variations and rhythm variation to the pieces and I think they sound good that way
That what a pianist is supposed to do, never play the piece exactly but create a new personal interpretation for that piece

Daniel
"Sometimes I lie awake at night and ask "Why me?" Then a voice answers "Nothing personal, your name just happened to come up.""

Offline cziffra

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 16, 2004, 07:27:53 AM
I'm all for a personal interpretation, (Gould is my favourite pianist, in fact) but for a tune like mario, i see no point in fracturing the rhythm. 
What it all comes down to is that one does not play the piano with one’s fingers; one plays the piano with one’s mind.-  Glenn Gould
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert