Piano Forum

Topic: ear worm - need help  (Read 1495 times)

Offline michael_sayers

ear worm - need help
on: May 12, 2015, 09:04:17 PM
Hi Everyone,

I can't stop hearing the music from 16:20 to 16:44 in this link over and over again in my head.  What can I do to resolve this issue?

t=16m19s

Mvh,
Michael

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Re: ear worm - need help
Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 02:45:21 AM
These are instructions based on some research (not guaranteed to work):
1. Listen, sing or play another piece that you don't mind palying in your head as much.
2. Do something else than music that requires extreme concentration
3. One theory is that the section of the piece plays in your head because it's an "incomplete memory". So play, sing or study that particular piece as a whole to make the earworm go away. (Can be quite painful though if it's some bloody pop song you contracted from an ad...)

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 03:50:53 AM
Listen to the whole thing several times through, go to the gym, listen to some piece of music having every note hammered out and listen to how awful it sounds (Gee, I wonder who does that really often?)..
Listen to a piece you like more, and convince yourself how horrible that piece is compared to others, and how there's no reason to listen to it when so much other music is available (worked with me for Schoenberg and his dodecaphonics).
Granted, that's all based on personal experience. No roots whatsoever in scientific study. Worked for me though.

Offline michael_sayers

Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 07:01:23 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice!

It finally went away.  As this has happened before, and with that particular segment of that recording, maybe the best thing is just not to ever listen to it again.

Mvh,
Michael
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert