Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: It takes me too long to warm up (1 to 2 hours)  (Read 1981 times)

Offline yadeehoo

• PS Silver Member
It takes me too long to warm up (1 to 2 hours)
on: May 13, 2015, 08:09:56 PM
I got this problem where it take me a good hour to get back my level from previous session, an hour and half till the magic starts happening, and like past the 2 hours marks before I can learn anything new at practice. Makes it impossible for me to perform tough pieces live.

Is that normal, any tips?
Horowitz - Danse Macabre / Carmen variatons
Chopin - Polonaise in A flat Major + Etudes
Liszt - Liebestraum #3
Beethoven - Moonlight 3rd movement

WORK IN PROGRESS

Offline michael_sayers

Re: It takes me too long to warm up (1 to 2 hours)
Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 09:26:06 PM
I got this problem where it take me a good hour to get back my level from previous session, an hour and half till the magic starts happening, and like past the 2 hours marks before I can learn anything new at practice. Makes it impossible for me to perform tough pieces live.

Hi yadeehoo,

I had some issue with this when I was quite young.  It wasn't as severe, and usually several minutes were needed to get played in reliably.  When I started doing athletic training the issue went away and permanently so.

Please don't consider this medical advice or advice to begin athletic training, which it isn't.  I am just relaying what I experienced.

I hope this helps!

Mvh,
Michael

Offline louispodesta

Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 10:36:33 PM

And, Michael has thin spindly finger like I do.  Therefore, there is a PROBLEM with your basic technique approach.  I refuse to use the word "like" in a sentence, and I also do not use the word "issue."

Therefore, for a couple of decades, I used to play stupid exercises, stupid scales, stupid broken chords, and stupid arpeggios before I began each practice session.  I no longer do that, and I am ready to play after about 30 seconds to a minute.

"Impossible" (the French) you say.  However, there was a great lady by the name of Dorothy Taubman.  Her CD's are available from your local library, for free, or you can spend an enormous amount of money purchasing them from the Golandsky foundation (www.golandskyinstitute.org).

Further, you can get from my coach, Dr. Thomas Mark (www.pianomap.com), his book "What Every Pianist Needs To Know About The Body," which is in the library of most every University Piano Department Chair.  Accordingly, my end result is that since going to Thomas for personal lessons, I would not even think of "warming up," like I used to.

Further, with my psoriatic arthritis, I still do daily whole body strength exercises/training (age 63), and that is how I maintain my muscle ability at the piano.

One of the first things you learn from the Taubman and Mark approach is that you don't have muscles in your fingers.  There are only small interossei muscles in your hand which allow you manipulate your hand to pick up objects, turn a door handle, and yes effectuate a trill at the piano.

Absent that, you play a key on a piano with the muscles in your lower forearm.  Next, which you will learn from Thomas' book, is that you articulate all of this from the sternovanicular joint that attaches your collar bone to your sternum.  This is all done with the natural body weight of your entire arm and shoulder.

I hope this helps, and if you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me by private message.  Oh, and what you now experience has happened to "millions" of pianists before you, as well as now.

Offline yadeehoo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 01:31:28 AM
Thx for reassuring me about the body approach.

The worst thing tho really is entering a state of learning. I've notice muscle memory doesn't kick in until my fingers are extremely warmed up.

Any more experience sharing about that guys?
Liszt - Liebestraum #3

WORK IN PROGRESS

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 02:17:51 AM
You need to be very sure that your fingers... the fingers! ... are doing the striking, not the wrist.  You can allow some wrist action -- you may need it -- but the actual action needs to be in the fingers.  That section is a very good exercise for finger independence!  I might add that later on, the chords in the right hand also need to have that independence; the G sharp needs to be just barely heard, but the other three notes of the chords need to sing clearly (though not too loud, please).  There it is 2 or 3 (I use 2, because my 3 doesn't work all that well any more) which needs to be independently soft, and 1 4 5 louder.
Ian

Offline yadeehoo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 10:25:49 AM
What is that 'section' you're talking about, is it an exercise ?
Liszt - Liebestraum #3

WORK IN PROGRESS

Offline stevensk

Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 02:13:54 PM

Warm up? Have I missed something here? Whats that for? -I never warm up.

Offline bronnestam

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 09:31:05 AM
I warm up mentally. The advantage is that you can do that while you are busy doing other tasks as well - routine housekeeping, walking, even lying in your bed ... I need to think about my forthcoming practice for a while, and I usually wait until I am very impatient to go to the piano and play for real. If I don't do this, I can feel absent-minded when I start to play, and then the result will be accordingly to this.

You don't need to warm up physcially at the piano, you can do it elsewhere. Just move your fingers, rub your hands and do some gentle stretching.

I think you can train your ability to focus quickly instead of needing hours of warming up. The risk of having such long warm up times is that it becomes a habit as such.
My opinion is that you don't HAVE TO do this. After all, a car driver who claims the same thing would be dead quite soon, because you cannot start the car and say "oh, and within an hour or two I will remember how to drive". You have to be alert from the moment you turn the key, no matter how much time you THINK you need. And most people are, actually!
Besides I am impressed by everybody who has the time to sit at the piano for hours and hours in a row. Are you retired from work and do you have servants doing the household tasks, or how do you manage this? 

Offline stevensk

Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 09:50:52 AM
...Besides I am impressed by everybody who has the time to sit at the piano for hours and hours in a row. Are you retired from work and do you have servants doing the household tasks, or how do you manage this? 

-Well, what are ordinary people doing in the evening? -Exactly, wathing crappy Tv serials, cookery programs, sports, playing computor games. For hours! Every day!

Offline bronnestam

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 07:19:26 PM
Obviously I am not ordinary then. Yes, I am at the computer. It's my job to be here. But gaming, no. TV, no.

Offline compline

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 07:30:55 PM
I don't have a telly!   Who needs their heads filled with trash!   :) :P

Offline compline

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 07:40:31 PM
A note to yadeehoo. if it helps.

According to the advice given by ABRSM in their - Improve your scales book - it is beneficial to drink a glass of water  before practising scales, etc.  as this helps get the brain working.   

Well, I drink plenty of water anyway, so wouldn't know much difference.   

:)

Offline yadeehoo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: May 24, 2015, 12:30:04 PM
You guys are being pretty creative in your answers, it makes my day.

I guess i'll just figure things out on my journey. Everybody's experience is different huh
Liszt - Liebestraum #3

WORK IN PROGRESS

Offline rmbarbosa

Reply #13 on: May 25, 2015, 02:06:48 PM
A glass og water, Compline?
years ago, I was trying to play one Nocturne of Chopin but it didnt work... one night, when I was talking witn one of my sons, I took 3 whiskies... and I played that Nocturne very very very well. So,perhaps whisky may be more efficient than water, I think...  :D :D :D

Offline michael_sayers

Reply #14 on: May 25, 2015, 08:55:14 PM
I don't have a telly!   Who needs their heads filled with trash!   :) :P

I, too, don't have a telly.  I enjoyed watching some British comedies as a kid, and Horowitz in Moscow in 1986 . . . this is 2015, though, and Horowitz won't be performing a live telecast out of Moscow this year.

Mvh,
Michael

Offline compline

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: May 27, 2015, 10:08:49 AM
A glass og water, Compline?
years ago, I was trying to play one Nocturne of Chopin but it didnt work... one night, when I was talking witn one of my sons, I took 3 whiskies... and I played that Nocturne very very very well. So,perhaps whisky may be more efficient than water, I think...  :D :D :D

I might just give that a try!   :) ;)

Offline michael_sayers

Reply #16 on: May 27, 2015, 02:40:30 PM
-Well, what are ordinary people doing in the evening? -Exactly, wathing crappy Tv serials, cookery programs, sports, playing computor games. For hours! Every day!

Hi Stevensk,

That is what "ordinary" persons do.

Extraordinary persons spend a lot of time in the evenings at Piano Street. ;)

Mvh,
Michael
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert