Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Scary, eerie, moody pieces  (Read 6010 times)

Offline kite_piano

• PS Silver Member
Scary, eerie, moody pieces
on: March 21, 2003, 03:33:36 AM
Hi, I am a big fan of the piano and its sound and I started teaching myself to play it last year.  What got me into the piano was Beethoven's moonlight sonata, but I already learned that and have been playing for a year so I was wondering if you guys could help me find some new sonatas to learn.  I am specifically looking for piano solos that are like moonlight sonata in the eerie, low key sense.  I don't want something upbeat like his "ode to joy", although it is a fine piece it is not up my alley.  There are a few specific very well known pieces that are "chilling and moody" but I can't find what they are.  Could somebody please give me some help? Thanks`

Offline dinosaurtales

• PS Silver Member
Re: Scary, eerie, moody pieces
Reply #1 on: March 21, 2003, 06:22:27 AM
You could do worse than cruise through Beethoven's sonatas and check out 2nd movements.  For instance, the Pathetique slow movement is gorgeous - not quite as eerie, but you could most likely learn to play it.  The sonata that follows the moonlight, the pastorale, has a really cool second movement - more procession-like, and a tad more difficult, but you'd probalby like it.  
So much music, so little time........

Offline BuyBuy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 11, 2003, 07:45:47 PM
If you want "atmospheric" pieces that are not too hard, chek :

- Debussy "Arabesque" nº 1 and "The little shpepherd"
- Some of Scriabin preludes
- Ravel "Pavane"
- Some of Fauré op. 84

But also try to broaden your musical range, with different styles.

Offline Frizzler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 23, 2003, 10:20:19 AM
Not necessarily Beethoven style, but something that you may enjoy (as I like that kind of music as well) is Chopin.  He has beautiful music for the piano, but everything behind it has this infinite sadness, this meloncholy.  No matter how pretty the song is, there is the load on the heart.  Very deep, and technically impressive as well.  But Chopin is very hard, so be careful because it's easy to bungle his music.  I would suggest his nocturnes.  www.chopinfiles.com.  You'll love it.

Offline chewy34

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 24, 2003, 07:27:18 AM
I've been learning the theme from Schindler's List lately and it is a very emotional and moody song. Whenever I play it or listen to it on MP3 I think of the movie "The Pianist" (because I haven't seen Schindler's List.)

Try downloading it and see if yah like it. It's not terribly hard either.

- Chui

Offline davy10tunes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 24, 2003, 02:23:09 PM
The 2nd of Ginasteras "Danzas argentinas" Op.2
DAVROS

Offline chopinetta

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 27, 2003, 03:46:29 AM
A scary one I know is Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, just check out the 3rd movement.

One that's so gloomy, the gloomiest I've ever heard is Chopin's nocturne in c#minor opus posthumous... like a lover weeping silently, reminiscing a dead partner...
"If I do not believe anymore in tears, it is because I see you cry." -Chopin to George Sand
"How repulsive this George Sand is! is she really a woman? I'm ready to doubt it."-Chopin on George Sand
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert