Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin - Nocturne OP27 No2 Assistance  (Read 1621 times)

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Chopin - Nocturne OP27 No2 Assistance
on: July 06, 2015, 08:51:48 PM
So I am reasonably good at the piano, had some training maybe 10 years ago and took it on more of a hobby rather than any thing serious. I picked up this piece last week and not having too much trouble with it however my theory is a little rusty.

I believe them to be called mordents? - Short trills, something Chopin seems to love!
My understanding of them to be depending on the shape of the zig zag dictates whether you are short-trill the initial note and immediate above or immediate below.

My question is when it comes to multiple notes. I have attached examples. Can somebody please clarify with double note mordents am I supposed to quickly trill the single note above the top or both notes up and back? I have heard this piece enough to know how it should sound, but my fingers are struggling. In the first example I have been tying to play F+Ab with fingers 1-4, tril to the Gb-Bb with 3+5, back down to F+Ab and then onto the next passage of notes Eb+Gb with 2-3.

If i'm unclear, please let me know. I assume if it's singular the notation would have just been grace notes. But my fingers do not like the quick double trill - specially that pinky!
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline amytsuda

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin - Nocturne OP27 No2 Assistance
Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 05:38:58 AM
That's really interesting. I can't give the answer because I am also an amateur hobbyist, and often play things without realizing those details (my teacher tells me I have a habit of making up music, as a negative side effects of being a fast sight reader). I just listened on YouTube to Rubinstein, Kissin, Avdeeva, Yundi Li and Valentia Lisitsia, and found everyone does it differently!! Rubinstein does double notes and I do too (probably because I grew up listening to his LP). The first example is 1-3 2-4 1-3 1-2 (Eb+Gb) and the second example is 1-4 2-5 1-4 1-3 (C#+A#) - that's what I have been doing. I await some expert opinions from someone!

Offline bronnestam

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 10:20:44 AM
It must be just the upper note, or otherwise it would sound just weird. You know, you can cheat if it is too difficult ... so skip the trills for now, and learn them when the rest of the piece is crystal clear for you, or play the trill just as an acciaccatura. 

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 12:21:57 PM
I did think that. But in a number of versions I've heard I am convinced the double notes are played, but I simply can't get my fingers to play in the same way i'm hearing. Making me doubtful!

The finger numbers marked in the notation in my example leads me to believe the same thing that they expect double notes but 1-4 to 3-5 to 1-4 is quite difficult to get smooth and quick.
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert