Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: Moonlight Sonata 3rd Movement fingering..  (Read 12429 times)

Offline salim

Moonlight Sonata 3rd Movement fingering..
on: July 30, 2015, 05:52:12 PM
I see a lot of people using 135 135 145.. for the arpeggios, but how would it be to use 145 145 145..? Would that not be recommended (not at the piano right now so can't try for myself..), and what fingering is recommended?

Offline ewalker1

Re: Moonlight Sonata 3rd Movement fingering..
Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 10:11:17 PM
I use 123 5123 5124 5123 (first bar)

I wouldn't recommend using 1245 all the way up as that would sometimes create the stretch of a 4th between fingers 4 and 5, which is not particularly comfortable or practical to do at speed.

I don't really think any respectable pianist should care about what fingering you use, as long as you deliver the results and it is faithful to the score.

Offline salim

Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 12:24:31 AM
I use 123 5123 5124 5123 (first bar)

I wouldn't recommend using 1245 all the way up as that would sometimes create the stretch of a 4th between fingers 4 and 5, which is not particularly comfortable or practical to do at speed.

I don't really think any respectable pianist should care about what fingering you use, as long as you deliver the results and it is faithful to the score.

Ahh 1245 throughout was horrible for me haha, though 123 5123 5124 5123 works out perfectly; thanks!

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 02:08:31 AM
I would recommend not playing this one just yet...

but if you must...  this one has to be crystal clear or it is 7 minutes of mush...  it also demands a very high dynamic range...  fast but soft and clean 16th notes...

play it slow...   slowly work up until you can take it faster...  do not sacrifice clarity for speed...please, I beg you...  and don't program mistakes into your fingers.

this is me playing the MS 3rd mvmt...  I tried to learn it before I was ready...that was quite a while ago and  now my hands have evolved far beyond that...but those passages I forced into my fingers incorrectly stick out like sore thumbs.   I have the ability to play it now no problem--but all those mistakes I practiced over and over again... when I thought I could do it if I just sat there long enough...they are hard to control sometimes.  ENJOY :)

Offline salim

Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 09:09:15 AM
I would recommend not playing this one just yet...

but if you must...  this one has to be crystal clear or it is 7 minutes of mush...  it also demands a very high dynamic range...  fast but soft and clean 16th notes...

play it slow...   slowly work up until you can take it faster...  do not sacrifice clarity for speed...please, I beg you...  and don't program mistakes into your fingers.

this is me playing the MS 3rd mvmt...  I tried to learn it before I was ready...that was quite a while ago and  now my hands have evolved far beyond that...but those passages I forced into my fingers incorrectly stick out like sore thumbs.   I have the ability to play it now no problem--but all those mistakes I practiced over and over again... when I thought I could do it if I just sat there long enough...they are hard to control sometimes.  ENJOY :)

Ahh yeah, I figured I should leave it for later because it'll take too long to learn right now and I'm not so patient haha

Plan on learning the second movement soon though seeing as how I finished the first recently..

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 12:15:09 PM
Ahh yeah, I figured I should leave it for later because it'll take too long to learn right now and I'm not so patient haha

Plan on learning the second movement soon though seeing as how I finished the first recently..

the 2nd mvmt is beautiful... and often skipped.  ;D   

the third will make you insane if you try to figure it out before you have the chops--I know--and even if you do get the notes--to make all those 16th notes smooth and even--and pay attention to phrasing and dynamics---and everything else....   it's just not possible..  or it wasn't for me anyway--maybe you are different...IDK

Offline salim

Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 02:25:30 PM
the 2nd mvmt is beautiful... and often skipped.  ;D   

the third will make you insane if you try to figure it out before you have the chops--I know--and even if you do get the notes--to make all those 16th notes smooth and even--and pay attention to phrasing and dynamics---and everything else....   it's just not possible..  or it wasn't for me anyway--maybe you are different...IDK

Yep, I'd rather just wait a year or so and see how I'd manage the piece then.. I'm sure I'll be fine in a year or two ^^

Offline billyfisher100

Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 07:31:01 AM
I see a lot of people using 135 135 145.. for the arpeggios, but how would it be to use 145 145 145..? Would that not be recommended (not at the piano right now so can't try for myself..), and what fingering is recommended?

I used 1235, 1235, 1245, etc. ascending I think? Again, any fingering which feels comfortable and best allows you to best control the dynamics is fine. I have some weird fingerings, but if they work out ok, then I use them!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert