Piano Forum

Topic: Liszt Rigoletto Paraphrase: On octaves  (Read 2768 times)

Offline malabdal

Liszt Rigoletto Paraphrase: On octaves
on: August 13, 2015, 09:40:15 AM
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here and I would like to start by asking about any practice methods, tips, hand positions, wrist movement that would improve the left hand octaves of Liszt's Rigoletto paraphrase (measure 1,3 ,5 , 6 ..)

I am hoping to hear advice about how I can eliminate the metallic quality that I am obtaining when I play those octaves.

Further tips about how to bring measures 7,8,9, 10 and (in particular measure 11) , up to speed and fluency would also be very appreciated. I hope that this advice would take into account that these measures ought to have a rich quality to them and not just mere runs of notes.

Thanks for your help.
Best

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Re: Liszt Rigoletto Paraphrase: On octaves
Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 04:24:02 PM
if you rule out the piano w regard to 'metallic' sound quality (would be my firs suspect), then your approach into the key will likely be playing part on your tone quality.

Usually to soften the tone, i work with a 'flatter finger' , also velocity into the key and playing from the surface of the note with a smooth weight transfer vs.  from above and more 'down' vs a preferable down & forward direction.

bottom line, you just need to play around vary your physical approach into the bottom of the keys to see what produces the sound you want for that particular instrument (and your venue will play a part too, you need to be able adjust your physical gestures and pedaling to adapt to different hall or room sizes and surfaces and more vs less people in the crowd if any).

Offline malabdal

Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 08:17:33 PM
Thank you for the useful suggestions. Sorry it took me months to reply and come back to this post. Thanks again.

Offline richard black

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 10:37:23 PM
Tone on the piano is mostly about relative intensity of notes played simultaneously or in quick succession, and also about the precise timing of how 'simultaneous' notes sound (there's usually a fraction of a second between them). Bear this in mind when practising those octaves.

In general, to play the irregular patterns in that passage you need a very floppy wrist.
Instrumentalists are all wannabe singers. Discuss.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert